The BEST RB on the team...

Unfortunately RBs get injuries. I’m glad we have a stable of backs who have looked good so far.

It’s only been 3 games and two of those were low stakes. We’ll see what happens throughout the year. I think the coaches have shown they’ll ride with the hot hand and also share the love so we’re in a good place

Advertisement
You dug your heels in deep. Brace yourself for ongoing updates my friend.
Let's do it! I play the "Don't judge the RB's by Non-P5 teams" game every year and it's my favorite.

You've got Temple & GT coming up who never finish in the Top 100 in run defense so you've got 2 more weeks before we start playing real teams. Enjoy!

I'll pull some stats to set the stage. In the meantime, did you notice Ajay Allen was our #2 RB vs Miami & BCU, but #4 vs Texas A&M? Any theories on why?

I absolutely love and appreciate Parrish, but I honestly believe that Allen and Johnson would be gone with the rushing lanes that Parrish has received. That being said, there are other factors that put Parrish on the field first, and I trust the progression in snap counts by the coaches going go forward. I don’t think there are any decisions worthy of regret, all things considered (and most of those things are seen in closed practices).

I suppose I'd ask for you to clarify what you'd mean by top end. If you mean did he not have the speed to pull away and in a big way I disagree. But if you mean could he bust the 80 90 100 yd runs then you have a point. But that was due to his conditioning not his speed he couldn't maintain his speed for those long huge runs. There's a reason we had him in every kind of role imaginable including kickoffs etc. Coop was very fast.
He was fast.. but he was more quick than fast. He got to top end speed like lightning. But the top end speed just wasn’t that fast. That’s why he always got caught, not because of conditioning. Had world class vision, quickness, shiftiness, and toughness. If he had top end Lamar Miller type speed (and size) he would’ve been one of the best ever.

He was fast.. but he was more quick than fast. He got to top end speed like lightning. But the top end speed just wasn’t that fast. That’s why he always got caught, not because of conditioning. Had world class vision, quickness, shiftiness, and toughness. If he had top end Lamar Miller type speed (and size) he would’ve been one of the best ever.
Lamar Miller is the best back we've had since Frank.

Advertisement
You dug your heels in deep. Brace yourself for ongoing updates my friend.

@mirvin88 - I love your idea of ongoing updates

Now every year....every single year.....I warn not to get overly excited about the Non-P5 games at the start of the year. I warn to wait for some P5 games, then we'll have a much better idea.

Below are all of Miami's RB's that've been drafted in the last 15 years as a benchmark.

IMO - I think we're super deep with good RB's. Can any be great? I'm hopeful! @mirvin88 - I'll keep this updated each week. I'm excited to see how they stack up!

1694802858667.png

He can say whatever he wants. Lamar was clearly better, and is a **** near physical prototype for the position. His career was finally done in by multiple severe injuries. Otherwise, he'd STILL be in the league.
Wait are you saying Lamar was better than Duke in college or the pros?

Advertisement
If Fletch gets back healthy for Temple we could see 5 backs get action for that game.

That’s a huge dose of variety in the run game & something really only a handful of Defenses can stop.

It’ll come in handy once the ACC schedule starts too, keeps everybody fresh & ready to go.

Dawson also likes to use a lot of 2-back 22 & 21 personnel (at least he did at SFA, Southern Miss & Houston), it’ll be interesting to see if we get any of that this season, because we could definitely throw some 2-back looks out there.
He did it against A&M, had Parrish and Chaney in the same backfield a couple times.

Let's do it! I play the "Don't judge the RB's by Non-P5 teams" game every year and it's my favorite.

You've got Temple & GT coming up who never finish in the Top 100 in run defense so you've got 2 more weeks before we start playing real teams. Enjoy!

I'll pull some stats to set the stage. In the meantime, did you notice Ajay Allen was our #2 RB vs Miami & BCU, but #4 vs Texas A&M? Any theories on why?

PMd to avoid board clutter.

Wait are you saying Lamar was better than Duke in college or the pros?
Both. Every level. High school too. I know Johnson had bigger numbers due to our dependency on him, and Norland's, but Lamar Miller was always the better running back. Watch the film. Look at the measurables. Lamar was a great ******* RB. Vision, balance, lower body strength, hit the hole, top end speed, size, yards after contact. He had everything you want.

Advertisement
I absolutely love and appreciate Parrish, but I honestly believe that Allen and Johnson would be gone with the rushing lanes that Parrish has received. That being said, there are other factors that put Parrish on the field first, and I trust the progression in snap counts by the coaches going go forward. I don’t think there are any decisions worthy of regret, all things considered (and most of those things are seen in closed practices).
Parrish is really good at squeezing out 4-5 yard gains when nothing is there. That's a real skill in itself. Contrast that to someone like Rooster who had great top end speed /burst but with no hole he would just run straight into a pile for 1-2 yard gains over and over again which was infuriating and then to stalled out drives/punts.

The trade off? Parrish doesn't have the top end speed to take it to the house which hurts as well. Homer, Cam Harris, Duke, Miller, etc. would all break 50+ yard TD's no prob with an open hole which you need as well. Johnson is that guy for sure Let's hope he can do more than that.

If I look at the past year or so it's not even a debate. Hands down it's Parrish with zero argument. I look at one thing and that's production on the field and this man stands out.
Parrish stands out to you? I guess it’s true, people really don’t have an eye for talent.

Advertisement
@Memnon, when did you get those times on Johnson? I remember at one point you were wondering if the speed that everyone was raving about was legit.

On another note, I am in no way saying Chaney is as talented, but his "build" on tv last night reminded me of the way Najeh looked early before his injury.

That’s a very dramatic statement. CJ isn’t that much smaller than AJ. At all. He can handle 7 touches a game.
Nothing dramatic to it. Allen has a semi muscular build. He's added on to a VERY SMALL frame in order to get to his weight. CJ on the other hand is at that weight because it's what he's carrying. It's his natural build. He doesn't have much muscle on his frame right now and that's how you endure the hits. Muscle or fat. He has neither. One RB who has a similar build in that mold is Parrish who takes a beating as well. As we saw last year it was too much for him to handle throughout a season. Past that I don't really care about this topic or people's opinions on this. My own included. It was a passing comment yesterday and I'm over it. Mario will give the ball to who he feels he should and I'm fine with that.

Even Bethune was getting physical with Johnson last night so size/durability would be my concern. And for years and multiple coordinators the dive has been a staple. Just can't pull a 'rooster' on the kid and send him up the middle 10-12 times a game. Not a bell-cow type, at least at this point. Maybe not ever. But using wrinkles to get his speed in space in the passing game? Certainly. End of half, late in game for explosiveness against a fatigued defense? Yes, please.

Advertisement
Back