TCU doesn’t know how to recruit

Advertisement
I really thought Harbaugh did a lousy job yesterday. First drive a trick play on fourth and goal at the 2. Going for two when kicking the point would have made it an 11 point game. Blitzed too much and Duggan made them pay. Then throw in way too many bad plays 2 picks sixes and the fumble after the long pass inside the one that was called a TD and reversed. It looked to me like Michigan came in over confident and TCU played a more physical game.
TCU has the better coaching staff

Players need to buy in, too. 5-7 is not just on the coaches. I'm still all aboard the Mario train. He will fix it.
Both things can be true and the blame can not be 100 on both things.
This team prior to Mario for whatever reason was doing the same thing regardless of scheme.

Blaming many for the fiu loss is kind of scapegoating the dudes jogging and not trying.

Blaming the players for lack of creativity on the goal line is also scapegoating.

Go back for the last 15 years and under the previous 3 staffs and we weren’t doing what tcu did this season.

Sonny, from what I’ve read and at other places is extremely respected and for whatever reason hasn’t been a hc candidate at a top team.

But I think that cfb and football in general might be having the Rick Pitino/Mark D’Antoni moment.

At some point cfb and the nfl will have to deal with teams like tcu either in the finals or have their season wrecked by them.

Now the scenario is that uga will most likely slaughter tcu.
But it if they make it a game or even win it will send a huge message.

But since idk **** about coaching and scheme; is Sonny doing anything that different than other spread teams?

Pretty sure Gibbs committed to GT b/c he was flying under the radar b4 his Sr season, & former GT great Tashard Choice was on him, first, b4 he blew up. He stayed loyal to his commitment b/c of that relationship. Part of the reason he transferred is b/c Choice took the UT job as RB coach.
Completely random this is the most you’ve ever @ me are you doing it just to disagree with me or lol

Advertisement
Both things can be true and the blame can not be 100 on both things.
This team prior to Mario for whatever reason was doing the same thing regardless of scheme.

Blaming many for the fiu loss is kind of scapegoating the dudes jogging and not trying.

Blaming the players for lack of creativity on the goal line is also scapegoating.

Go back for the last 15 years and under the previous 3 staffs and we weren’t doing what tcu did this season.

Sonny, from what I’ve read and at other places is extremely respected and for whatever reason hasn’t been a hc candidate at a top team.

But I think that cfb and football in general might be having the Rick Pitino/Mark D’Antoni moment.

At some point cfb and the nfl will have to deal with teams like tcu either in the finals or have their season wrecked by them.

Now the scenario is that uga will most likely slaughter tcu.
But it if they make it a game or even win it will send a huge message.

But since idk **** about coaching and scheme; is Sonny doing anything that different than other spread teams?
They used to say Sonny and Riley didn’t have a script they called it on the fly and adjusted. I’m not sure how true it is but it seems to be that way given how they attack matchups

While watching that game, I noticed that TCU’s team speed was very good. They were fast at every skilled position. UM team speed is the exact opposite 😂.
Same. Though I think something could be said for good coaching allows those things to shine

Kids aren’t thinking as much, just playing etc

I think we see that a lot where the team that’s better prepared just looks faster and more aggressive

But it’s always a combination of a lot of things. TCU has some really good players for sure

I'm just reading this thread right now and I'm shocked at the hate you were getting or even more the hate TCU got. Even if they got blown out tonight (which they didn't) its still pretty remarkable at what they did and what we have failed to do

Sure.

This was like the “Wisconsin Model” we all constantly heard for years. Wisconsin proved you didn’t need to recruit at an elite level to be elite. Just great coaches and great scouting and great development with guys that fit.

But in actuality Wisconsin rarely played anybody that recruited above their level. And when they did they usually lost. The “Wisconsin Model” was always a myth.

But they still did do a great job. They basically went perfect most every year against the teams that recruit at their level. It takes **** good coaching to do that. It was really impressive in its own right.

Same thing with TCU. What they did this year was extremely impressive for what it was. But we don’t need to pretend like it’s something it’s not.

Advertisement
Completely random this is the most you’ve ever @ me are you doing it just to disagree with me or lol

Nah; I was just familiar w/ this recruit b/c it threw me off that a top kid would choose GT, and ppl were crediting Geoff Collins. I specifically remember Gibbs basically pulling a Dame Lillard where even though he blew up, he was loyal to program who had love for him b4 that, & he specifically mentioned Choice throughout. So when u said he chose GT b/c he liked school (not saying he don’t), it made me a lil perplexed.

they win 7 games if they try to line up and play Mario ball and the only one drafted is Johnston. same culture they have now. 7 games.

they have 3 legit NFL players on offense because the scheme puts their players in a position to succeed. Duggans and TVD are similar in talent level. the difference being one is in a system that allows for him to showcase and get the most out of his talents and the other has Josh Gattis as OC.

Respectfully, there is little in common between TVD and Duggans. The latter reads defenses and makes decisions quickly, and is a much better athlete. I gorget the numbers but he has legit open field speed. Go back and watch some of his runs from this year.

There is a lot being said in this thread, but let's not ignore the fact that TCU for years has recruited hard working players that buy into the program completely.

Case in point thier true freshman NT Damonic Williams was chiefly responsible for dominating Michigan's oline. This 6'2 330lbs 18 year old with 20% body fat, put on clinic against UMich's award winning oline in the Fiesta bowl.

Go Canes

Impressed with how well he speaks for a 17-year old. Sounds like a mature dude.

Advertisement
There is a lot being said in this thread, but let's not ignore the fact that TCU for years has recruited hard working players that buy into the program completely.

Case in point thier true freshman NT Damonic Williams was chiefly responsible for dominating Michigan's oline. This 6'2 330lbs 18 year old with 20% body fat, put on clinic against UMich's award winning oline in the Fiesta bowl.

Go Canes

I thought true freshmen DT’s can’t have an impact. Too soon. Not physically developed,

Advertisement
they win 7 games if they try to line up and play Mario ball and the only one drafted is Johnston. same culture they have now. 7 games.

they have 3 legit NFL players on offense because the scheme puts their players in a position to succeed. Duggans and TVD are similar in talent level. the difference being one is in a system that allows for him to showcase and get the most out of his talents and the other has Josh Gattis as OC.
I wholeheartedly disagree. They go 5-7 if they lose their top Oline. Lose their 2deep at Center. Lose their 2nd best Olineman. Lost their Best TE. Dugans plays like van dyke the first few weeks..then gets injured..don’t have a top 20 pick at WR..if that all happens, they probably go 4-8, 5-7..just like they did last year

Yes, you need to recruit kids with the physical tools AND you need to develop them. There's a reason why **** near every year, Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia are in the CFP mix. They recruit high end athletes, AND they rarely miss on their evals. No one is perfect in regards to evals, because you are evaluating human beings who are fallible, but the better teams have fewer total busts. Miami on the other hand, we have a ton of flat busts, because our evals have been awful, and we've also had a culture that allows mediocrity. You can't miss on evals, not recruit entire position groups at a decent level, and have a crappy culture. That isn't a recipe for success.
Facts. We’ve had fringe draft pick who never even made a NFL decide to leave a year early multiple times

Every year in the playoff at least one or two teams get steamrolled, but it always happens to the team with a recruiting average far below the other three. Maybe it works out for tcu tomorrow but I wouldn't count on it. At the end of the day it's about putting together a complete package and the horses are the biggest part.
Oops

Advertisement
Back