Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement

NY Post​

Nancy Pelosi’s husband sold more than $500K worth of Visa stock — just weeks before DOJ’s antitrust lawsuit.​

Last edited:
Advertisement
I see a lot of choices for businesses and consumers,,,,,

My best analogy:

Visa and Mastercard own the last mile of the consumer internet (card networks). The only cards they haven't rolled up in the USA are CapOne/Discover and AMEX.

Major banks have done little to fight it publicly. CapOne could shake up the market with 100M users mostly on Visa/MC. Now that they own Discover, CapOne could give users every reason to use the in-house brand BUT they need smaller merchants to accept Discover which isn't as easy without the help of all payment processors which V/MC happens to play in those waters, too.

It's not like millions of houses are sitting unsold because they're priced too high.

Sure but if the input costs were less, millions more would be built…I believe is mrh’s thinking.

Last edited:
Right now it is cheaper to build than buy an existing house. Why? Immigrate labor has helped lower input costs and China’s cold real estate market has cut massive demand for inputs. Yet, home starts aren’t millions higher. Why? IMO, it is due to regulations and a lack of demand for locations that have less regulations.

Harris’ plan to offer $25k to first time buyers would increase demand. The real issue is local and state governments. The federal government can’t overcome those problems easily so id ignore any promises by candidates unless local/state.

Advertisement
Right now it is cheaper to build than buy an existing house. Why? Immigrate labor has helped lower input costs and China’s cold real estate market has cut massive demand for inputs. Yet, home starts aren’t millions higher. Why? IMO, it is due to regulations and a lack of demand for locations that have less regulations.

Harris’ plan to offer $25k to first time buyers would increase demand. The real issue is local and state governments. The federal government can’t overcome those problems easily so id ignore any promises by candidates unless local/state.
This also depends on where we're talking about. FL has had a thriving construction industry for years because of all the growth, but elsewhere?

I have a relative in MA who wants to build a pole barn. The quote was $150k. That same building here in FL would easily be half of that. They just don't have a large supply of contractors competing for business like we do.

Tomorrow is big:
GDP
Initial Jobless claims
Personal Consumption Expenditures

Also construction loans are brutal to obtain from banks (partly maybe even mostly due to the Federal Governments pressure on banks).

I would also add that just like the EV credit is corporate welfare, home sellers will know they could jack up the price for a first time buyer.

Advertisement
Rent is dropping like a rock. My -6.5% rent drop from 2022 is still not grabbing attention.

I haven’t noticed a drop in rent but have noticed a decrease in demand. It is pretty tough to keep up with the demand of 2022.

08:30 USD Continuing Jobless Claims 1,834K 1,828K 1,821K
08:30 USD Core Durable Goods Orders (MoM) (Aug) 0.5% 0.1% -0.1%
08:30 USD Core PCE Prices (Q2) 2.80% 2.80% 2.80%
08:30 USD Corporate Profits (QoQ) (Q2) 3.5% 1.7% 1.7%
08:30 USD Durable Goods Orders (MoM) (Aug) 0.0% -2.8% 9.9%
08:30 USD Durables Excluding Defense (MoM) (Aug) -0.2% 10.3%
08:30 USD GDP (QoQ) (Q2) 3.0% 3.0% 1.4%
08:30 USD GDP Price Index (QoQ) (Q2) 2.5% 2.5% 3.1%
08:30 USD GDP Sales (Q2) 1.9% 2.2% 2.0%
08:30 USD Goods Orders Non Defense Ex Air (MoM) (Aug) 0.2% 0.0% -0.2%
08:30 USD Initial Jobless Claims 218K 224K 222K
08:30 USD Jobless Claims 4-Week Avg. 224.75K 228.25K
08:30 USD PCE Prices (Q2) 2.5% 2.5% 2.5%
08:30 USD Real Consumer Spending (Q2) 2.8% 2.9% 2.9

GDP- 3.0%..strong
Initial jobless claims- 218K..down
PCE Prices- 2.5%- inflation Q2
Corporate Profits- 3.5%..up
Good numbers….

Advertisement
Mark Cuban seems to be all in on Harris. It looks like he’ll have a position and positive influence on her economic policies

Advertisement
Back