Spring PractiSe #3 : Media today: Kevin Steele, Al Blades Jr., James Williams and DJ Ivey

Maybe it’s my bad memory, but while Gus and yearby were at the U, Yearby was the better back right? Gus made out better in the long run, but i don’t remember anyone asking for Gus over yearby and a lot of talk about Gus running too upright

I was on the Gus Bus and there were a bunch of us.

Gus did run too upright and he also liked to bounce outside as if he were a scat back at times. But it was pretty obvious to me that a little bit of decent coaching and that kid would be the best back on the field. Walton was a year behind and he was a better option too.

James Coley was wed to Yearby. And I’m not knocking the kid because he played well for us. He was a good solid college RB. But we had guys with higher upside.

Advertisement
Maybe it’s my bad memory, but while Gus and yearby were at the U, Yearby was the better back right? Gus made out better in the long run, but i don’t remember anyone asking for Gus over yearby and a lot of talk about Gus running too upright
Nah Gus had a following, Some dudes were pumping him even on his way out the door and was tracked all the way to the league @bleakvern was lead on that one.. **** is bleak banned or something? figured it out, @blackvern

He said what he said.

It's not a diss, he's being real.
@Brooklyndee played this game at the highest level and knows what it takes to be great. He's giving his insight and constructive criticism. Yall better pay attention to his nuggets he's leaving y'all.
He has always kept it real...I have more respect for him than anyone on this board...and I respect quite a few on here.

Advertisement
Nah Gus had a following, Some dudes were pumping him even on his way out the door and was tracked all the way to the league @bleakvern was lead on that one.. **** is bleak banned or something? figured it out, @blackvern
Oh I remember the Gus bus following for sure. But I don’t ever remember him impressive in a game where he became more favorable to the majority of fans. I think if u could turn back time and take a poll… 70-80% of fans would have preferred to keep Yearby over Gus.

As I mentioned, maybe Gus wasn’t used right (which was a theme at the time for a lot of our players that became a force in the NFL). But during the time I’m pretty sure it was Yearby’s show at RB and Gus just had his following just like Lin-da-gawd (whom I was a fan of until he turn coated our ***!)

'91 held teams to 8.3 PPG... played 4 top-11 teams. Even 2001 allowed 1.5 more points playing 1 team in the top-11 (Neb) while scoring 10 more PPG in '01 vs '91

Iron, what's interesting is that that defense upfront had two undersized DTackles in Anthony Hamlet and Eric Miller. Hamlet was really an end, and Miller was a guy who's career was hampered by shoulder problems. But they were tough and scrappy, but to have a defense be this dominant without having a Jerome Brown or Warren Sapp inside says a lot about Lubick in my view.

I recall being stunned when teams would string together two first downs on a drive on this unit, or converting on 3rd and longs

So, you would have turned Jamaal Adam's, Kam Chancellor, Derwin James, Landon Collins, Eric Reid, all into linebackers cuz they got height and size?

I dont see this kid as a linebacker.
Which one of those guys is a whole 6'5"?

Furthermore, it's more about skill set than anything else.
And the role he plays in the defense.

Some of those guys you named are box Safeties. They don't have to be as rangy.

A 2-high coverage structure sometimes leaves your Safety one-on-one with slot WR's.
That can be a recipe for disaster for most tall Safeties, especially one who's 6'5".

If you're moving James Williams around then IMO you're doing him a disservice as well as your defense.
I trust in Steele though.

So, you would have turned Jamaal Adam's, Kam Chancellor, Derwin James, Landon Collins, Eric Reid, all into linebackers cuz they got height and size?

I dont see this kid as a linebacker.
4 of those guys you named are effectively linebackers though which is funny 😂😂😂 kam had the best ball skills out of this bunch but all box safeties

Advertisement
Iron, what's interesting is that that defense upfront had two undersized DTackles in Anthony Hamlet and Eric Miller. Hamlet was really an end, and Miller was a guy who's career was hampered by shoulder problems. But they were tough and scrappy, but to have a defense be this dominant without having a Jerome Brown or Warren Sapp inside says a lot about Lubick in my view.

I recall being stunned when teams would string together two first downs on a drive on this unit, or converting on 3rd and longs
I was/am a huge Lubick fan. Dude did wonders at CSU, too. Recruited Orlando hard when I was coaching in the area. Also So Fla and had Cecil Sapp at RB at CSU. Hamlet and Miller were tough SOB's in that Jimmie Jones mold. Lubick played a style where the DL was always right, the LB had to make them right when they were over aggressive which can be done with that trio they had. The DC after him wasn't quite as good.

Some of those guys you named are box Safeties
. They don't have to be as rangy.

A 2-high coverage structure sometimes leaves your Safety one-on-one with slot WR's.
That can be a recipe for disaster for most tall Safeties, especially one who's 6'5".

If you're moving James Williams around then IMO you're doing him a disservice as well as your defense.

Well, that's how I imagine Steele is going to use JW. Strong safety, in a single high, playing around the box.

Did Steele say he was going to run double high as our base?

Some of those guys you named are box Safeties. They don't have to be as rangy.

Why do you think moving him around is a bad thing, just asking because always thought versatility was a positive thing..

I see him more in line with Jayron Kearse who is probably closest to in comparison in regards to build and athleticism

Advertisement
I was/am a huge Lubick fan. Dude did wonders at CSU, too. Recruited Orlando hard when I was coaching in the area. Also So Fla and had Cecil Sapp at RB at CSU. Hamlet and Miller were tough SOB's in that Jimmie Jones mold. Lubick played a style where the DL was always right, the LB had to make them right when they were over aggressive which can be done with that trio they had. The DC after him wasn't quite as good.

When Lubick left after the 91 season (IIRC) that was when Erickson's staff staff started to erode. He came to UM with a pretty good staff that had a lot of guys who moved onto the NFL and other really good jobs in college. But after awhile it became a bunch of his cronies and things started to fall apart

The job Sonny did at CSU was great. He was the rebirth of that program...

Advertisement

Yeah....but Patrick and Medearis were Animals.....

Last edited:
When Lubick left after the 91 season (IIRC) that was when Erickson's staff staff started to erode. He came to UM with a pretty good staff that had a lot of guys who moved onto the NFL and other really good jobs in college. But after awhile it became a bunch of his cronies and things started to fall apart

The job Sonny did at CSU was great. He was the rebirth of that program...
Without question...my favorite Assistant Coach at UM ever....

@Ironmanfootball ....Where'd you coach in Orlando??...reason I'm asking, I'm good friends with Bill Gierke..

I have no idea.

I don't have a problem with him staying at Safety, it's the USAGE that I'm curious about.

I'd like to see us run that Carrol/Quinn 4-3 hybrid and let JW play the Chancellor role.

I think he'd thrive in that spot.

I think our corners can run that cover 3 and leave out the 2 gapping from the Dline and we can have a serviceable D.

Advertisement
Back