Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
- Briles likely the top target for OC
- Mastro deciding between coming to Miami as RB coach (would make more $$$) or joining Ken Wilson's staff at Nevada as OC
- Schumann, Derek Mason and Chris Partridge still names to know for DC
- Rod Chance's name in play to work with T-Rob (not being retained at Oregon)
- Mirabal, McClendon, Salave'a, T-Rob and Aaron Feld unofficially offical
- Mario bringing one of his offensive analysts to Miami (Cody Woodiel). Turned down opportunity to be Nevada's OL coach to come and be an analyst at Miami, which shows $$$ commitment program is making with support staff

So if it was up to me, don't offer Mastro that money and let him walk. Everything else sounds great.

Mastro brings tons of RB coaching experience - probably the most you’re going to get. I like that part about him. But I have two concerns - I don’t know how good of a crooter he is and he’s been a west coast guy his whole coaching career.

My order of preference

Big Island - getting to see a live, active volcano and then looking at the night sky on top of Mauna Kea is amazing. Coffee and chocolate tours are great, might even find free rum tasting. Zip lining over a zillion waterfalls is a lot of fun.

Kauai- if you are and advanced scuba diver, you want to go to Kauai and do a drift dive off The Pinnacle near Nihau. Helicopter tour over the Napali coast is dope.

Maui - view from Haleakala is breathtaking. Also lavender field tours are gorgeous.

Oahu- lived there for 11 years and it has its unique charms. Riding horses on the beach in the Northshore is great. Pearl Harbor is a must see (and the submarine tour is cool). If you snorkel, go to electric Beach on the west side. Scuba is OK on Oahu in certain places like the wrecks and up on north shore near sharks cove (Great place for night dive). Unless you are an experienced boogie boarder, don't boogie board at Sandy's even though it looks like there are tasty waves from the road (multiple people break their necks there every year as the waves will slam you straight down into the shoreline) . Skydiving in north shore is fun too. Pro tip- if getting a hotel, stay in the resorts in Ko'olina (west side). Waikiki is far too busy.

Molokai - no resorts but it's a 20 min flight from Maui so easy day trip. Seacliffs are beautiful. And believe it or not, deer hunting. Rent a mule and go down the mountain to Kalaupapa. It's sad but history that should be remembered. I think there might be one person with Hansen's disease (leprosy) who still lives there.

Never made it to Lanai, but I hear there is a nice beach. 85% of the island is owned by some billionaire.
I have bad memories of the suck involved with military training exercises on the big island 😂, otherwise, you put together a good list. I don't know much about molokai or lanai. The Kalalau "trail" was one of the coolest hikes I got to do on Kauai and the scenery was amazing.

Advertisement
Said it a year ago about going after Chris Partridge

1640366661052.webp

Also, I’m sure it has been posted but Partridge is bar none one of the best recruiters in the country. He has pulled some absolute killers from GA/NJ while at Michigan and Ole Miss.

BUT, he has never been a DC…
I’d love to have him on staff though.

Advertisement
- Briles likely the top target for OC
- Mastro deciding between coming to Miami as RB coach (would make more $$$) or joining Ken Wilson's staff at Nevada as OC
- Schumann, Derek Mason and Chris Partridge still names to know for DC
- Rod Chance's name in play to work with T-Rob (not being retained at Oregon)
- Mirabal, McClendon, Salave'a, T-Rob and Aaron Feld unofficially offical
- Mario bringing one of his offensive analysts to Miami (Cody Woodiel). Turned down opportunity to be Nevada's OL coach to come and be an analyst at Miami, which shows $$$ commitment program is making with support staff

Nevada apparently hired Derek Sage from UCLA as their OC, so Mastro is coming here...

Mastro brings tons of RB coaching experience - probably the most you’re going to get. I like that part about him. But I have two concerns - I don’t know how good of a crooter he is and he’s been a west coast guy his whole coaching career.
Screenshot_20211224-125122_Chrome.webp

My wife has wanted to visit Hawaii but she really is not a great flyer. How long of a flight is from the east coast?
One option we have done in the past depending on how much time you have: fly to LA or to Vegas and spend the day night. Fly out next day to Hawaii. Breaks up the trip some. At the very least, do east coast to LA or Vegas with a 2-3 hour lay over to eat, rest, etc. I don’t recommend the east coast to Dallas or Chicago trip (9 hour flight from Dallas & Chicago).

Advertisement
Also, I’m sure it has been posted but Partridge is bar none one of the best recruiters in the country. He has pulled some absolute killers from GA/NJ while at Michigan and Ole Miss.

BUT, he has never been a DC…
I’d love to have him on staff though.
Make him the highest paid CO-DC in the country then. Just don’t make him the DC.

One option we have done in the past depending on how much time you have: fly to LA or to Vegas and spend the day night. Fly out next day to Hawaii. Breaks up the trip some. At the very least, do east coast to LA or Vegas with a 2-3 hour lay over to eat, rest, etc. I don’t recommend the east coast to Dallas or Chicago trip (9 hour flight from Dallas & Chicago).
East coast to hawaii is brutal!! I lived in Hawaii for 4 years (Oahu) and anytime I went back home to the south and east coast, on my way back I always stopped in LA, SD or SF to at least stretch my legs with a layover before those final 5 hours from California.

Dang, Kevin Faulk was a bargain. I’d be more than happy bringing him in as RB coach.

Faulk‘s daughter was a sophmore and worked for the LSU athletic department. She passed away in September, Faulk took a leave of absence and did not return. Kelly did not retain him.

Not sure Faulk is looking to get back into coaching right now.

Advertisement
With all the names mentioned, I've been keeping a working list... as of now, hope it pans out as follows:

OC/QB - Kendal Briles
RB - Jim Mastro or Hickson
TE - James Coley
WR - Bryan McClendon
OL - Alex Mirabal

DC/ILB - Glenn Schumann
IDL/AHC - Joe Salave'a
DE/OLB - Charlie Partridge
Co-DC/ST/DB - Chris Partridge
DB - Travaris Robinson

This. Took the whole family out (3 kids) from east coast to Maui a few years ago. We had a layover in lax for 4 hours and we hung out at a lounge the whole time and it was a breeze. I’d only recommend a long layover if you can do it in a lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back