So who starts the first game?

I'd be inclined to throw Mediavilla out there in game one and three, and then he would still have three days rest to pitch in game two of the finals considering the limitations we have with our starting pitching. All this assuming that we stay in the winners bracket.

Zero chance Mediavilla is pitching games 1 and 3. Morris will not jeopardize his future pitching him on 3 days rest. If he pitches the opener hw won't throw him until Thursday at the earliest.

Advertisement
Maybe Woodrey gets back to where he was when Morris decided to start him Fridays? Pretty unlikely, but if it happens it drastically improves our chances.

Woodrey not performing up to what he has done in the past is a real limitation for us going into the CWS. It's a testament to the rest of the team that they've done so well to this point despite his struggles this year. It really would help if he stepped back up.

I'd be inclined to throw Mediavilla out there in game one and three, and then he would still have three days rest to pitch in game two of the finals considering the limitations we have with our starting pitching. All this assuming that we stay in the winners bracket.

I think the one thing is that they wouldn't use him in game 3 if we are undefeated. Reason is, you have a game to play with. You want to try to get to the finals with your rotation ready to go. If you lose game 3, then you use him in game 4 to make sure you get to the finals.

That (having him to lead into the finals) was my one counter argument when I thought about it. But getting him out there for three starts is a bigger plus to me than saving him for a potential game four, and starting him in game three helps insure there isn't a game four, and we go right to the finals. The real question is can he do it. I think with that, every pitcher is different. Not likely happening, but just my personal preference. With our starting rotation at this point in the season were are going into the CWS trying to cover a king size mattress with a twin sized sheet. Like tcgrad said, having someone like Woodrey or Cabezas step up, or having Lepore miraculously be able to give us 5 solid innings would greatly improve our chances.

Advertisement
Back