So who starts the first game?

Miami04

Senior
As we know every smart manager will hold Meadivilla, or their own ace, for the 2nd game.

That way if you lose your first game you still have your ace for the 8 games in 10 day you would have to win.

Advertisement
As we know every smart manager will hold Meadivilla, or their own ace, for the 2nd game.

That way if you lose your first game you still have your ace for the 8 games in 10 day you would have to win.

I don't care as long as you start the thread!

I liked what I saw out of Cabezas.. I also wonder if Bartow has ever been a starter? I really like how he pitches but not sure of his stamina.

On a side note, how does someone of MediaVilla's stature (6'5" 225 lbs) throw so soft? He needs to add about 5-7 MPH to his fast ball and he could be so much better.

We really need a couple of power arms.

They might pull a matchup play depending on Arizona'a lineup. If we're going with our "best" (using that term loosely) then I guess it has to be Mediavilla.

Either way, if we don't start 2-0, we will not win the College World Series. We might be able to piece one together against Boston College with Woodrey trying his best to give it away, but that won't happen against the teams in our bracket.

If we win two, then you try to win the bracket final with Cabezas. If he loses, then Mediavilla pitches the elimination game.

You pitch Mediavilla first and then Danny Garcia. That way, they are rested for the final series (if you make it). You pitch Cabezas in the 3rd game and hope to get 6-9 outs from Woodrey. If Lepore returns then you have a chance.

You have to win 3 games in a row this time. Last year, winning 2-games in a row sufficed because it was a deeper corps, but this year you cannot win the 4th in order to advance to the final 3-game series.

Advertisement

How cute, did you know FSU, UF, TCU, and Coastal Carolina all held their aces til game 2??
To be completely honest like you weren't with me FSU doesn't really have an ace

Last edited:
Like JJ said I believe it's going to be based how the staff views the lineup of Arizona, it should be either Cabezas or Mediavilla but in this kind of format I would throw Mediavilla so I give myself the best chance to stay out of the losers bracket.

How cute, did you know FSU, UF, TCU, and Coastal Carolina all held their aces til game 2??

Carlton is FSU's ace and he pitched game one. The only way for us or anyone for that matter to get an advantage in terms of saving the pitching staff is to go 2-0. That is why we need to start Mediavilla game 1. If we can beat Arizona than obviously Danny Garcia goes game 2. He has faced better competition that Oklahoma State and UC Santa Barbara all year. Not underestimating those teams but going 2-0 is imperative and achievable for Miami to make a run at the title.

Carlton is FSU's ace and he pitched game one. The only way for us or anyone for that matter to get an advantage in terms of saving the pitching staff is to go 2-0. That is why we need to start Mediavilla game 1. If we can beat Arizona than obviously Danny Garcia goes game 2. He has faced better competition that Oklahoma State and UC Santa Barbara all year. Not underestimating those teams but going 2-0 is imperative and achievable for Miami to make a run at the title.

Carlton threw?? I thought Holton threw and 100 % agree, don't think it needs to be said that that extra game in the losers bracket shortens your options in the pen

Advertisement
Unless Lepore is available for more than 2-innings, then we are going to have to win 3 straight. We cannot play a 4th game. That 4th game would entail Guerra 2-3 innings, which would not be pretty.

If we can beat Arizona with Mediavilla, we have a great shot at game 2. Thus far, UM has faced 3 of the best pitchers in the country (Stetson's best, BC's 1st rounder and Big Sky pitcher of the year). That will help us against Arizona because their ace is fantastic. If you beat him, you are in very good shape.

Unless Lepore is available for more than 2-innings, then we are going to have to win 3 straight. We cannot play a 4th game. That 4th game would entail Guerra 2-3 innings, which would not be pretty.

If we can beat Arizona with Mediavilla, we have a great shot at game 2. Thus far, UM has faced 3 of the best pitchers in the country (Stetson's best, BC's 1st rounder and Big Sky pitcher of the year). That will help us against Arizona because their ace is fantastic. If you beat him, you are in very good shape.

TBH Okie state is deep with pitching...they could probably match UF talent wise, if they're our game 2 matchup that's going to be a toss up

Game four would be a week later than game one. Mediavilla would pitch game four.

Arizona is starting their ace Bannister in Game 1. I'm sure we will go with Mediavilla.

By starting Mediavilla in Game 1, there's a chance we could get 3 games out of him if we make the final series, so him in Game 1 is a no-brainer

Advertisement
No. Game 4 is the loser's bracket and would occur the following Thursday or Friday with final series starting that Monday. I do not see Morris pitching Medivilla 3 times with the second sting occurring on 5-days rest and the final stint on 3-days or 4-days rest.

We have 2 legitimate pitchers and would have a 3rd if Lepore healed. Woodrey pitched well at the start of the season and then fell apart. Not sure why. I have been watching UM closely for 17-years and never saw a senior regress. Woodrey completely fell apart during the second half of the season.

The injury to Lepore and the struggles of Woodrey have destroyed the depth of our pitching staff. Hard to imagine we win the CWS w/out winning those first two games. It is clear that Morris only trusts five pitchers at this point: Mediavilla, D. Garcia, B Garcia, Bartow, Cabezas. Only throws Woodrey & Guerra when he has to. Have to start our two best guys and hope they each go deep into game and/or we score A LOT.

Pimentel and Meyer are pitching well. Guerra had a great inning in the Regionals and a disastrous second outing later on.

MediaVilla pitches the first game and then Garcia. For the 3rd game, you pitch Cabezas, Woodrey and anything remaining until you can set up Bartow. If you lose the 3rd game, you better hope that your opponent is as depleted as you, or that you score 10+ runs. If you make it to the Final Series, you are in good shape (even with UF). In the final series, you have Mediavilla then Garcia and then the kitchen sink.

Era Games Innings Opp. BA
Jesse Lepore 2.20 14 73.2 .221
Michael Mediavilla 3.11 17 98.1 .228
Danny Garcia 3.48 17 93 .272
Thomas Woodrey 4.98 18 68.2 .305
Bryan Garcia 1.95 34 37 .184
Frankie Bartow 2.73 41 52.2 .270
Devin Meyer 3.26 13 19.1 .217
Keven Pimentel 3.67 18 34.1 .315
Andrew Cabezas 5.26 27 53 .234
Daniel Epstein 5.40 5 3.1 .400
Ryan Guerra 7.36 10 11 .267
Isaiah Musa 7.84 11 10.1 .211

Advertisement
No. Game 4 is the loser's bracket and would occur the following Thursday or Friday with final series starting that Monday. I do not see Morris pitching Medivilla 3 times with the second sting occurring on 5-days rest and the final stint on 3-days or 4-days rest.

We have 2 legitimate pitchers and would have a 3rd if Lepore healed. Woodrey pitched well at the start of the season and then fell apart. Not sure why. I have been watching UM closely for 17-years and never saw a senior regress. Woodrey completely fell apart during the second half of the season.

Look, genius. You said we would have to win the first three games. If we win the first two and then lose the third game, we would play a fourth game. He would pitch that fourth game. It is a week after the first game. Common sense.

Pimentel and Meyer are pitching well. Guerra had a great inning in the Regionals and a disastrous second outing later on.

MediaVilla pitches the first game and then Garcia. For the 3rd game, you pitch Cabezas, Woodrey and anything remaining until you can set up Bartow. If you lose the 3rd game, you better hope that your opponent is as depleted as you, or that you score 10+ runs. If you make it to the Final Series, you are in good shape (even with UF). In the final series, you have Mediavilla then Garcia and then the kitchen sink.

Era Games Innings Opp. BA
Jesse Lepore 2.20 14 73.2 .221
Michael Mediavilla 3.11 17 98.1 .228
Danny Garcia 3.48 17 93 .272
Thomas Woodrey 4.98 18 68.2 .305
Bryan Garcia 1.95 34 37 .184
Frankie Bartow 2.73 41 52.2 .270
Devin Meyer 3.26 13 19.1 .217
Keven Pimentel 3.67 18 34.1 .315
Andrew Cabezas 5.26 27 53 .234
Daniel Epstein 5.40 5 3.1 .400
Ryan Guerra 7.36 10 11 .267
Isaiah Musa 7.84 11 10.1 .211

You are so wrong, it's embarrassing. If we win the first two and then lose the third game, game four would be a week after our first game. We would be back to the top of the rotation.

Look at last year's bracket and see when Virginia played their fourth game.

Game one of UF/Virginia was the 23rd, which means that you cannot use Mediavilla for the first game of the most important series.

Advertisement
Back