So, tell me about Virginia

Advertisement
Guys I just don't see us winning a ACC game we were supposed to lose like tonight. The basketball IQ on our whole team is very questionable. In the bonus on the road for 8 minutes and we start jacking 3's left and right smh. It seems like Larranaga doesn't really get mad about it either (which is questionable). I think we are going to just slide into the tournament because we aren't going to have any signature wins besides the ones we already have. Hope I am wrong though but I just don't really see it with this team being in the toughest conference in America

Canes can't beat the top teams in the ACC consistently. A few more recruiting classes, maybe. No Shane Larkins on this team.

Miami has beaten Duke and UNC 4 times under Coach :. Not many schools can say that.

Larkin was on most of those teams. Problem with Miami is the same as it's been for several seasons: Inconsistency. Should end with a few more strong incoming classes. It is really tough for Coach L to find great players for his teams because Miami is not an established BB power and isn't on the radar for top recruits. He's going to have to continue to look overseas for good players. Wish we could get that kid from Australia, but with Stanford in the mix, I don't see it happening.

Larkin was on the team last year when we beat Duke or the year before when we won at UNC when we had no talent? Complete overeaction because we lost one game on the road to a team that never loses at home.

Advertisement
This is on Coach L! You could tell ,if you could stay awake, that this game was playing into UVA's hands when they continued to play that false offense for 1 shot at the end of the shot clock. They needed to set one ball screen and attack. Offense was WAY too slow!

Angel just needs to stop with his little "hero" moments. A guy who shoots that low of a percentage from 3 should never be taking stare down threes early in the shot clock yet here comes angel with a couple little jab steps and chucking stuff up in peoples faces.

Wow...some of the **** talking over a road loss to an ACC team that was #4 in the country just last week. This is ONE game, and UVA had a 26-game home winning streak going in. They had just dropped 2 in a row on the road and were struggling...and found their groove against us once they got back to their friendly home confines. It happens. I wanted us to win, but a road conference loss to a ranked team this early on in the season isn't going to be the end of the world.

I'm upset that we didn't show up, that we struggled in the paint on both ends of the floor. Murphy's foul trouble, ICU's lack of athleticism, and Jekiri's no-show game really gave UVA the advantage down low. We can't afford those types of things against good ACC teams on the road...but it happened, and it's up to Coach L to make this a teaching moment so it doesn't ******* happen again.

We're healthy, we have a good rotation, and we'll be more athletic than a bunch of teams we play for the rest of the year. We're a top 15 team even when we're struggling.

College basketball isn't like college football. ONE or even two losses won't kill you. Great teams who win titles are the ones who develop throughout the season and play their best basketball come tournament time. It's OK to be alarmed by certain things with the team and with Coach L, even...but we are still in line to compete for the ACC Title, get a good seed for the ACC Tourney, and hopefully a Top 5 seed at worst in the NCAA Tourney. This team just needs to keep developing, improving, and learning under Coach L.

Advertisement
Angel just needs to stop with his little "hero" moments. A guy who shoots that low of a percentage from 3 should never be taking stare down threes early in the shot clock yet here comes angel with a couple little jab steps and chucking stuff up in peoples faces.

This.

When Angel is on, he's arguably our best shooter on the floor. But if he's off and "feeling it", we have too many empty possessions. This is still a good basketball team, but I think our ranking made us all feel like we were better than we really are. It's still early in the season, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how we bounce back from this one.

Wow...some of the **** talking over a road loss to an ACC team that was #4 in the country just last week. This is ONE game, and UVA had a 26-game home winning streak going in. They had just dropped 2 in a row on the road and were struggling...and found their groove against us once they got back to their friendly home confines. It happens. I wanted us to win, but a road conference loss to a ranked team this early on in the season isn't going to be the end of the world.

I'm upset that we didn't show up, that we struggled in the paint on both ends of the floor. Murphy's foul trouble, ICU's lack of athleticism, and Jekiri's no-show game really gave UVA the advantage down low. We can't afford those types of things against good ACC teams on the road...but it happened, and it's up to Coach L to make this a teaching moment so it doesn't ******* happen again.

We're healthy, we have a good rotation, and we'll be more athletic than a bunch of teams we play for the rest of the year. We're a top 15 team even when we're struggling.

College basketball isn't like college football. ONE or even two losses won't kill you. Great teams who win titles are the ones who develop throughout the season and play their best basketball come tournament time. It's OK to be alarmed by certain things with the team and with Coach L, even...but we are still in line to compete for the ACC Title, get a good seed for the ACC Tourney, and hopefully a Top 5 seed at worst in the NCAA Tourney. This team just needs to keep developing, improving, and learning under Coach L.

I agree that it is not a bad loss, but if you watched it, UVa didnt exactly play well. Most of that was attriduted to Miami's D. I thought Miami played very good Defense, outside Cruz Uceda. He was terrible!

I just felt that Miami shouldve tried to speed things up a bit in the 2nd half especially in the last 5-7 minutes. They were playing into UVa's hand and when the Canes got down 5 points it felt like 15!

I agree that it is not a bad loss, but if you watched it, UVa didnt exactly play well. Most of that was attriduted to Miami's D. I thought Miami played very good Defense, outside Cruz Uceda. He was terrible!

I just felt that Miami shouldve tried to speed things up a bit in the 2nd half especially in the last 5-7 minutes. They were playing into UVa's hand and when the Canes got down 5 points it felt like 15!
I watched it. UVA didn't play good early, but their defense stepped up and started fueling their offense. Gill got off early for them against Murphy, then ICU after Murphy picked up fouls. I think it's no secret that ICU can hit 3's for us, but is a liability defensively. I hope Murphy steps up more and maybe Amp Lawrence can take some minutes at the 4 in a smaller lineup going forward.

After Gill started getting off, UVA then started getting the ball to Brogdon, and Parrantes became more aggressive as the game went on. And let's not forget the 10 points that Tobey inexplicably put up on the board as well. That opened up the floor for them, made getting some offensive output going easier, even though yes - we did play good D last night. We needed a better effort out of the frontcourt last night, and didn't get it. UVA's front line outplayed ours, it's that simple.

As far as going down 5 and feeling like 15...that's because of UVA's pack line D. That's just how it goes with them. You either have to turn them over and get points off the break, or you have to figure out ways to be super-efficient in your halfcourt offense to score the ball against their defensive style. Speeding it up, when we were playing sloppy in the halfcourt, is easier said than done. I think we tried to play faster at times throughout the game, and it only led to turnovers.

Next time we play UVA, I am hoping we have some different offensive sets to throw at them. If Bennett sees you once, and shuts you down, it's hard to beat him with the same thing on down the line. Coach L's challenge is to find a combination to crack that pack line D.

Looks like people are overreacting with a football mentality in a sport in which everyone loses at least a few games.

Advertisement

I watched it. UVA didn't play good early, but their defense stepped up and started fueling their offense. Gill got off early for them against Murphy, then ICU after Murphy picked up fouls. I think it's no secret that ICU can hit 3's for us, but is a liability defensively. I hope Murphy steps up more and maybe Amp Lawrence can take some minutes at the 4 in a smaller lineup going forward.

After Gill started getting off, UVA then started getting the ball to Brogdon, and Parrantes became more aggressive as the game went on. And let's not forget the 10 points that Tobey inexplicably put up on the board as well. That opened up the floor for them, made getting some offensive output going easier, even though yes - we did play good D last night. We needed a better effort out of the frontcourt last night, and didn't get it. UVA's front line outplayed ours, it's that simple.

As far as going down 5 and feeling like 15...that's because of UVA's pack line D. That's just how it goes with them. You either have to turn them over and get points off the break, or you have to figure out ways to be super-efficient in your halfcourt offense to score the ball against their defensive style. Speeding it up, when we were playing sloppy in the halfcourt, is easier said than done. I think we tried to play faster at times throughout the game, and it only led to turnovers.

Next time we play UVA, I am hoping we have some different offensive sets to throw at them. If Bennett sees you once, and shuts you down, it's hard to beat him with the same thing on down the line. Coach L's challenge is to find a combination to crack that pack line D.

agree especially with the end. You can't penetrate from the middle against pack line like Sheldon tried to do a couple times. They hedged hard on a couple of picks from the wing and angel didn't make the pass to jekiri who was open on the roll.

What I saw was a role reversal.
Virginia played like how we are accustom to seeing UM play.
They played with better effort on both ends. Had offensive board put backs. Turned defense into fast break opportunities and finished. Shared the ball and everyone got involved.
Making 3s was the bonus.
Our guys got outplayed and couldn't shake their funk.
Hopefully they'll learn from this game that they can't just walk on the court and win no matter what their ranking might be.

What I saw was a role reversal.
Virginia played like how we are accustom to seeing UM play.
They played with better effort on both ends. Had offensive board put backs. Turned defense into fast break opportunities and finished. Shared the ball and everyone got involved.
Making 3s was the bonus.
Our guys got outplayed and couldn't shake their funk.
Hopefully they'll learn from this game that they can't just walk on the court and win no matter what their ranking might be.

That game could've gone either way, and if we had won I don't think there would be a role-reversal comparison.

They just made some more free throws down the stretch. Great game, tough loss.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back