Second half defense

lol decent… we held them to 1.9 per carry and bama held them to 4.2. They were rated top 10 rushing team.

Context....these numbers aren't against ELITE rushing teams. Something can be said for USF's rushing attack....but can we do this against known rushing teams? The Michigans, OSUs, NDs? Not to mention, hard to run the ball when you're down 3 scores.

But I say decent because it's just not a tried and true product yet imo. Not meant to be taken as slander by any means. Just not measurable in terms of overall body of work through 4 games. Statistically, its good. Though and so I use a neutral term to describe it.

Advertisement
Context....these numbers aren't against ELITE rushing teams. Something can be said for USF's rushing attack....but can we do this against known rushing teams? The Michigans, OSUs, NDs? Not to mention, hard to run the ball when you're down 3 scores.

But I say decent because it's just not a tried and true product yet imo. Not meant to be taken as slander by any means. Just not measurable in terms of overall body of work through 4 games. Statistically, it’s good. Though and so I use a neutral term to describe it.
They were a top ten rushing team and they played bama… you’re becoming a pretzel. We have one of the best rushing defenses in the country. Better than bama’s.

Pay Me GIF
Agree but dare say he’s going to get a head coaching opportunity at some point.

Advertisement
If our D showed up unprepared we should show up every week like that. Adjustments were made. This team has come together as one. This is an unselfish team. Gang tackling a lot of players around the ball. And on offense the blocking by the backs and receivers is off the charts as well.

We actually scared them pretty quickly into abandoning the run. That should speak volumes about what kind of run D we have.

But I say decent because it's just not a tried and true product yet imo. Not meant to be taken as slander by any means. Just not measurable in terms of overall body of work through 4 games. Statistically, its good. Though and so I use a neutral term to describe it.
Not wrong at all but I am optimistic given how much proven talent we have in the front 6

Barrow, Mesidor, Baron, Alston, Kiko, Bain

We know it’s a legit group. We were a good run defense last year and we’ve upgraded

Advertisement
USF set the tone with their bs hanging by our tunnel as we came out. I thought we showed great restraint. The HC is a jerk for condoning that.
They definitely treated this like their Super Bowl… the team, fans and coaches for USF really brought that energy in that 1st quarter…

Thankfully Cam and the team weathered it and just kept pushing them down until it broke open and we had the back ups in cruising laughing as the fans exited

Unprepared is a strong word. Honestly I have never seen a team try to run that fast of tempo. Most of the time even the referees were not in position on the snap. These guys made Chip Kelly at Oregon look slow. So I don’t think it was possible to totally simulate that speed in practice. At the end of the day they were going so fast they wore themselves out.
yea. When we didn't break they crashed out.

Dawson took concepts from an opponent and used them last week; hopefully we incorporate concepts from USF (tempo & motions rub route with 38) that gave us trouble, and by seasons-end we're a more fast-paced offense. Chris Johnson's motion out wide and mismatch is a window into what our personnel allows us to do; should have been 6 but I'm sure Cam won't miss that throw again.

we've outscored teams 59-3 in the third quarter so far this year
That's the part I love. We come out and take their hope away. I told my buddy if we stopped their first possession and went down and scored it's over.

Reality is when Cam threw the long TD before the half, USF knew that were fooked.

yea. When we didn't break they crashed out.

Dawson took concepts from an opponent and used them last week; hopefully we incorporate concepts from USF (tempo & motions rub route with 38) that gave us trouble, and by seasons-end we're a more fast-paced offense. Chris Johnson's motion out wide and mismatch is a window into what our personnel allows us to do; should have been 6 but I'm sure Cam won't miss that throw again.
Two of Restrepo’s catches were off rub routes, including his TD

Advertisement
Whomever agreed (Beta Blake during his tenure?) to having USF be the home team with AAC refs (yeah, yeah, ACC refs ***** us too) is an idiot. MIAMI got called for an illegal formation for a lineman not lined up correctly?!? ****, half of USF tempo formations could have been flagged for the lineman not being set. You can't prepare for that at first...
Would love to know who signed off on this garbage! Refs clearly had an agenda. We keep winning and ACC refs will have instructions to call it fair. Conference is desperate to have a big boy at the table this year.

We should have the same plan. Take away the run. Lengthen the game. Bet that our passing game is better than theirs (which it is).

Advertisement
Would love to know who signed off on this garbage! Refs clearly had an agenda. We keep winning and ACC refs will have instructions to call it fair. Conference is desperate to have a big boy at the table this year.
I hope so too, but in the case of all All Cracker Conference/All Carolina Conference Refs...

force-is-strong-this-one-3788360246.gif

A little bit? We were unprepared for the quick tempo and were undisciplined, but locked it down in the red zone, and came out at half much more disciplined, staying home and getting locked in. Great mental adjustments.
I agree about excellent halftime adjustments. However our overall game plan did not change. The Canes relaxed. We cannot afford 1st half’s like that. I don’t know why that happened. We were winded from hurry up and confused. At times it looked like a fire drill.

One thing I’ve been smiling at this season is we are challenging guys at the LOS. I know we mix coverages but we do play a lot of Single high coverage. For a team that doesn’t have a big reputation of having speedsters in the secondary the production has been impressive.

Advertisement
Back