Scrimmage news

Advertisement
I was at practice on Saturday.

*None of the QB's looked THAT good. They were okay. Quite a few INT's were thrown. Weldon, Rosier and Williams all threw picks. I don't recall one from Perry. I do remember him dropping an absolute dime to Hightower though. Just based off what I saw on Saturday I'd have to say that Perry is our #1.

*We weren't very innovative on offense but it's only spring and 3/4 of our QB's are young. We'll see how that develops.

*Rosier's really bad. Like reallllllllly bad. He's still throwing bubble screens into the dirt. Jeff Thomas had to dive to catch one, which ended up being a 2 yard loss. Fumbled a snap or two as well.

*Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson and (especially) Greg Rousseau are absolute freaks. Me and my coaching buddy were in complete shock watching Rousseau. He looks like a Jason Taylor clone and he's very physical for a kid who's still supposed to be in high school. The way he was punching/separating during run/inside drills...MY GOD.

*Looked like Smith was running with the 1's at Sam Linebacker. Garvin at LE and Jackson at RE.

*Our DT depth is atrocious. Losing our starting DT's really hurt. With those 2 guys back, our whole DL unit would've looked elite.

*Mark my words: Lawrence Cager is gonna have a breakout year and elevate himself into an early draft pick. He's gonna put himself on the national radar this year. He's an impressive site to see in person. Not only is he massive, but his knee bend for a guy his size/height is rare. Usually 6'5" WR's are stiff and struggle to bend (get in and out of their breaks). He's impressive.

*Our practice tempo is awesome. Lots of intensity. No bullsh!ttin. Guys are...eh em...FLYING AROUND.

*I like Coach Simpson. That is all.

*Our younger players are clearly on a different level than our Golden recruits. Our young WR's and (especially) DB's look very impressive. Hightower is a grown man already. The young DB's are all long and well put together.

*Our TE's are embarrassingly bad. They don't belong here. The Freshmans can't get here soon enough. Mallory was there and he's a good looking kid. Long.

*Chopped it up with my paisano Vinny Scavo. We talked about the last 2 regimes (Shannon and Golden) and the current state of our program. He's been around the team a long time and he said "we're getting there" and that this is the best looking team we've had in a while. He said losing the DT's really hurt but overall we look good. He's really on board with Richt and kept talking about what a "great man" he is, how he genuinely cares about the kids.

*Saw Richt chew-out Jaquan Johnson for a bit. That was fun. LOL

*Was impressed with how welcoming and personable everybody was. Even the team chaplain approached us and asked us where we were from and so on. Chopped it up with us for a good 20 minutes before moving on. This goes a long way in recruiting, making local coaches feel welcome and like they're part of the family. That didn't exist under Shannon and under Golden it came across as fabricated. (which from what I've heard, was Golden's MO anyway)

And finally, the most impressive thing I saw all day...

*Lorenzo MF'ing Lingard. That kid is on another level. Not only is he built like a brick ****house, but his burst is unreal. He's downhill RIGHT NOW. On several occasions my buddy and I went "**** who the **** was that?!" and it was #1.
Homer and Dallas are great, but IMO Lingard is just on another level. He's on that elite level of some of our previous/great RB's. It makes sense why he was ranked so high. There's no way he's kept off the field next season
Lago.gif

This! Homer is the effin man. He is slept on. Dallas is a beast. Lingard won’t surpass either one and that’s not in anyway a knock on him. Homer is an Heisman finalist running behind a Bama, Georgia, or Wisconsin o-line. Lingard will have a very good o-line before he leaves.
I agree Homer is The focking truth! Physical runner that gets plenty of yards, delivers the pain and doesn’t fumble! Homer earned every canes respect last year and deserves to be the #1 back period.

Advertisement
Exactly. And don't underestimate the value in that. Another set of quality fresh legs last year behind Homer after Walton went down, and we beat Pitt and potentially Wisky.
That would’ve not made a difference since the Qb was the issue. Vs Pitt he even said it himself for crying out loud;he was just going through the motion! WTF? Pitt knew if they focused on stopping the run that our Qb couldn’t make the throws to beat them. They saw it all season and Bronco Mendenhall /Virginia exposed it a week earlier but they didn’t have the players to finish the job.

*None of the QB's looked THAT good. They were okay. Quite a few INT's were thrown. Weldon, Rosier and Williams all threw picks. I don't recall one from Perry. I do remember him dropping an absolute dime to Hightower though. Just based off what I saw on Saturday I'd have to say that Perry is our #1.

*We weren't very innovative on offense but it's only spring and 3/4 of our QB's are young. We'll see how that develops.

*Rosier's really bad. Like reallllllllly bad. He's still throwing bubble screens into the dirt. Jeff Thomas had to dive to catch one, which ended up being a 2 yard loss. Fumbled a snap or two as well.

*Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson and (especially) Greg Rousseau are absolute freaks. Me and my coaching buddy were in complete shock watching Rousseau. He looks like a Jason Taylor clone and he's very physical for a kid who's still supposed to be in high school. The way he was punching/separating during run/inside drills...MY GOD.

*Looked like Smith was running with the 1's at Sam Linebacker. Garvin at LE and Jackson at RE.

*Our DT depth is atrocious. Losing our starting DT's really hurt. With those 2 guys back, our whole DL unit would've looked elite.

*Mark my words: Lawrence Cager is gonna have a breakout year and elevate himself into an early draft pick. He's gonna put himself on the national radar this year. He's an impressive site to see in person. Not only is he massive, but his knee bend for a guy his size/height is rare. Usually 6'5" WR's are stiff and struggle to bend (get in and out of their breaks). He's impressive.

*Our practice tempo is awesome. Lots of intensity. No bullsh!ttin. Guys are...eh em...FLYING AROUND.

*Our younger players are clearly on a different level than our Golden recruits. Our young WR's and (especially) DB's look very impressive. Hightower is a grown man already. The young DB's are all long and well put together.

*Our TE's are embarrassingly bad. They don't belong here. The Freshmans can't get here soon enough. Mallory was there and he's a good looking kid. Long.

*Chopped it up with my paisano Vinny Scavo. We talked about the last 2 regimes (Shannon and Golden) and the current state of our program. He's been around the team a long time and he said "we're getting there" and that this is the best looking team we've had in a while. He said losing the DT's really hurt but overall we look good. He's really on board with Richt and kept talking about what a "great man" he is, how he genuinely cares about the kids.

*Was impressed with how welcoming and personable everybody was. Even the team chaplain approached us and asked us where we were from and so on. Chopped it up with us for a good 20 minutes before moving on. This goes a long way in recruiting, making local coaches feel welcome and like they're part of the family. That didn't exist under Shannon and under Golden it came across as fabricated. (which from what I've heard, was Golden's MO anyway)

*Lorenzo MF'ing Lingard. That kid is on another level. Not only is he built like a brick ****house, but his burst is unreal. He's downhill RIGHT NOW. On several occasions my buddy and I went "**** who the **** was that?!" and it was #1.
Homer and Dallas are great, but IMO Lingard is just on another level. He's on that elite level of some of our previous/great RB's. It makes sense why he was ranked so high. There's no way he's kept off the field next season.

It good news that Rosier is still horrible. Tired of the excuses he makes. Not a leader. When Williams get his feet a bit more wet I expect him to pass him in the depth chart.

I thought Rousseau was a project who was more of a 3-4 LB but if he really has gain a bunch of good weight then I think he will play more then we realize. I know we're a 4 down linemen defense I would prefer we stand him up since he about 6'6 and will be able to spot the ball faster and easier standing up.

Said in another thread that Smith isn't that big of an upgrade but we just could not let McCloud just walk into the starting job when his awareness is poor and tackles issues. He is an example of not everyone is ready to play as young players.

I seen some clips and the middle of our DL is parting like the red sea. We were already ranked around 40ish in run defense. It might be worse this year. Our starter are okay but our depth is going to be a liability. It wishful thinking if you think Martin will do anything this year.

I already said that Irvin don't have that dog in him. You should of knew this off rip when he started sitting out practice because of not being in shape that was a red flag. Brevin is day 1 ready in terms of size/weight. I hope Mallory is putting on some good weight. Man we picked a good year to be loaded with talent at WR.

It not a shock our 4-star FR/SOPH are better then those 3 star NJ players Al Golden kept gunning for.

You already know Lingard is going to be a beast. We've had a lot of 4 star guys who had unwavering loyalty to Miami (Duke, Shaq, DJ) turn out pretty **** good players because they not in love with the recruiting process/attention they in love with the school, the grind, and they really to go to work to ensure that Miami will be a better program from where they found it.

All you need to do is look at history if you think Lingard isn't going to be a major player in the offense this year, if not the feature back. Here are the freshman numbers for the the last three stud running backs CMR brought in at Georgia.

Moreno-248 rushes for 1334 yards and 14 TDs
Gurley-224 rushes for 1385 yards and 17 TDs
Chubb-219 rushes for 1547 yards and 14 TDs

Per 247:
Moreno #68 overall, #5 RB
Gurley #73 overall, #3 RB
Chubb #33 overall, # 5 RB
Lingard #25 overall, #2 RB

Hard to envision a scenario where he doesn't get an absolute ton of carries this year.

I'd bet on Homer getting the majority of the carries with a pretty even split with Dallas/Lingard as the backups. I just think Richt will lean to experience first. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if any 1 of the 3 got the most carries because I think they're all really good.

For the Georgia RB's, I think they all had special circumstances to get that many carries

Moreno - Redshirted, then backed up Thomas Brown (but had a pretty even split of carries) before Brown got hurt halfway through the season.
Gurley - Only competition was Freshman Keith Marshall. They split carries early on before Gurley emerged.
Chubb - Actually started as 3rd string but then blew up after Gurley got suspended and Michel got hurt.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lingard ends up the starter, but I'd also guess that given he's going against 2 talented older RB's that injuries will probably play a part if it happens.

Advertisement

Homer and Dallas are great, but IMO Lingard is just on another level. He's on that elite level of some of our previous/great RB's. It makes sense why he was ranked so high. There's no way he's kept off the field next season.
DZQOdaOV4AAuTij.jpg

Advertisement
Cager did nice towards end of season. He could have folded after poor first half of season with lost playing time and fans beating critical of him..but to his credit, he fought through the adversity...which I feel will make him even better. Needs to keep grinding and be a savage. I believe he will be🙌

Last edited:
Advertisement
It good news that Rosier is still horrible. Tired of the excuses he makes. Not a leader. When Williams get his feet a bit more wet I expect him to pass him in the depth chart.

I thought Rousseau was a project who was more of a 3-4 LB but if he really has gain a bunch of good weight then I think he will play more then we realize. I know we're a 4 down linemen defense I would prefer we stand him up since he about 6'6 and will be able to spot the ball faster and easier standing up.

Said in another thread that Smith isn't that big of an upgrade but we just could not let McCloud just walk into the starting job when his awareness is poor and tackles issues. He is an example of not everyone is ready to play as young players.

I seen some clips and the middle of our DL is parting like the red sea. We were already ranked around 40ish in run defense. It might be worse this year. Our starter are okay but our depth is going to be a liability. It wishful thinking if you think Martin will do anything this year.

I already said that Irvin don't have that dog in him. You should of knew this off rip when he started sitting out practice because of not being in shape that was a red flag. Brevin is day 1 ready in terms of size/weight. I hope Mallory is putting on some good weight. Man we picked a good year to be loaded with talent at WR.

It not a shock our 4-star FR/SOPH are better then those 3 star NJ players Al Golden kept gunning for.

You already know Lingard is going to be a beast. We've had a lot of 4 star guys who had unwavering loyalty to Miami (Duke, Shaq, DJ) turn out pretty **** good players because they not in love with the recruiting process/attention they in love with the school, the grind, and they really to go to work to ensure that Miami will be a better program from where they found it.
Man that's one thing I never fcking understood with al golden .. Wtf was in New Jersey besides punters and Njoku

Do you guys not remember in 2001 where we had Portis, McGhee, and Gore on the same team. Not to compare those guys to these guys but ijs

That was ridiculous. I don't know if any team will have 3 RB's that talented on their roster at one time again.

But I'm thinking these guys may have the talent to match the 1999 team with Portis, James Jackson, and Najeh Davenport.

Man that's one thing I never fcking understood with al golden .. Wtf was in New Jersey besides punters and Njoku

To be fair, NJ has given us some great players over the years ..... Njoku, Olsen, McKinney, etc. While it's certainly not loaded like South Florida (no where is!), it's a good secondary recruiting area.

Advertisement
Back