Scrimmage news

I’m hoping Perry makes this an easy choice for the coaches and it’s not another battle like last year . We need a QB that’s MUCH better than Rosier, not neck and neck with him in practice
I posted a thread about why Perry didn’t play last year. Don’t know if y’all remember but Perry openly said that he didn’t know how to read defenses...he was never taught it so Richt has to teach it to him.

Advertisement
The sentiment is understood but having a young QB win the job simply because he's less horrible than Rosier does nothing for the program. Winning that job by default for either Williams, Weldon or Perry probably means none of them really took the job and we might see them all at some point.
Less horrible is huge. That means instead of missing 5 open wrs in a game, you will at least see the new qb hit 2 which could be 2 tds which is big.

The sentiment is understood but having a young QB win the job simply because he's less horrible than Rosier does nothing for the program. Winning that job by default for either Williams, Weldon or Perry probably means none of them really took the job and we might see them all at some point.

Not sure I read it that way. Good sign Perry protects the ball and not being careless. That is one thing Richt will stress. We know Rosier's ceiling from last year. Perry has had a year to learn the playbook and was already backup to Rosier by time of bowl game.
I think he is simply better than Rosier at this point. And defense always ahead at this time so will make the offense look bad.

Advertisement
Saw quite a few passes where the QB had to either hold onto the ball or take a check-down, which means our DB's were doing their thing.

Redwine made a really nice pick on a seam route.
Bandy made a RIDICULOUS pick on a quick slant. The way he jumped the route was incredible. Would've been a pick-6. It was different than the pick-6 against ND. This time he was in a press-man coverage and he jumped in front of the slant route of the man he was locked up on.

I didn't see too many situations where our DB's would've had to play the ball deep and turn their heads. I only remember a couple deep balls. One was under-thrown and knocked down, the other was a completion when Hightower burned Ivey.

Must not have been Rosier if you saw the QB make a check down. Good news.

Less horrible is huge. That means instead of missing 5 open wrs in a game, you will at least see the new qb hit 2 which could be 2 tds which is big.

Less horrible in practice. We've got no idea how either of the three would react in a game situation. Since the moment Rosier got to Miami he has been awful in practice. He had a good run last summer to win the job. I don't want the starter to win the job simply because the incumbent has reverted back to being terrible in practice. Take the thing. Not be simply better than awful.

I posted a thread about why Perry didn’t play last year. Don’t know if y’all remember but Perry openly said that he didn’t know how to read defenses...he was never taught it so Richt has to teach it to him.
I might’ve missed you post it , but any word on what type of progress he’s made in that department ?

Advertisement
I was thinking that when I read the breakdown but you beat me to it. I can’t stand inaccurate QBs.

Re-watching all the games from last year it was a miracle from baby Jesus himself that we went 10-1 in the regular season. He nearly cost us FSU, UNC, GT, Syracuse, etc.

Time to thank Rosier for his services and flip the page to the future.

He was well below 60-percent as a passer(which in todays game is absolutely a killer) and lets be honest, it wasn't even the whole story of just how inaccurate he was. I mean, Miami had problems completely bubble screens as guys had to make tough, twisting catches on many occassions. Many of his completions weren't even all that accurate( it goes beyond if the ball is caught but where it's actually put on a guy)

And again, Rosier has never been a full on 'football guy' who eats, breathes and lives the sport. To me, this is the one spot where you absolutely have to possess that quality. Rosier was a nice one-year stop gap. Let's start moving forward with guys who have a much higher ceiling

It just means fewer carries for each, and fresher legs throughout the season. GREAT news!

Exactly. And don't underestimate the value in that. Another set of quality fresh legs last year behind Homer after Walton went down, and we beat Pitt and potentially Wisky.

Advertisement
Homer is good but he isn't elite. Lingard has elite talent and that's something homer and dallas doesn't. It aint a knock on those guys but there is a difference between duke johnson and yearby/walton.
I disagree. Homer is now an elite RB, he was last season and will be this season. Our o-line was terrible with run blocking and he was successful despite that. Lingard will benefit from a continuously improving oline under Richt, so he’ll look elite, faster than Homer did. They’re all great options, but the difference between them will not be hard to tell this season.

It’s never that simple.

Kaaya hit simple passes routinely. There are always trade offs.
We don't have a QB on the roster as immobile as Kaaya, and asking for one of them to be more accurate than Rosier isn't asking that much. It's not a one or the other deal. We CAN have a QB that doesn't have cement feet AND make simple passes.

Advertisement
We don't have a QB on the roster as immobile as Kaaya, and asking for one of them to be more accurate than Rosier isn't asking that much. It's not a one or the other deal. We CAN have a QB that doesn't have cement feet AND make simple passes.

We don’t know if any of the other QBs can read a defense.

I think Williams actually can, but he’s a true freshmans.

Not so sure about the others, really worried about N’Kosi.

Advertisement
Back