Scrimmage news

Advertisement
Scavo needs a statue when he retires, he's been the one constant. He was the right guy to ask. As I mentioned in another thread pertaining to Lingard, I think a lot of us have forgotten what a true 5 star back looks like.

Exactly. They've been shunning us and we've forgotten what it's like to have one. Lingard is one of those guys.
He's just on a different level.

Advertisement
Does Homer legit still only weigh 195 ibs.? I find that very hard to believe
In a pic i saw it looked like he put on some weight. Regardless he’s fast with an excellent burst and runs very physical

I was at practice on Saturday.

*None of the QB's looked THAT good. They were okay. Quite a few INT's were thrown. Weldon, Rosier and Williams all threw picks. I don't recall one from Perry. I do remember him dropping an absolute dime to Hightower though. Just based off what I saw on Saturday I'd have to say that Perry is our #1.

*We weren't very innovative on offense but it's only spring and 3/4 of our QB's are young. We'll see how that develops.

*Rosier's really bad. Like reallllllllly bad. He's still throwing bubble screens into the dirt. Jeff Thomas had to dive to catch one, which ended up being a 2 yard loss. Fumbled a snap or two as well.

*Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson and (especially) Greg Rousseau are absolute freaks. Me and my coaching buddy were in complete shock watching Rousseau. He looks like a Jason Taylor clone and he's very physical for a kid who's still supposed to be in high school. The way he was punching/separating during run/inside drills...MY GOD.

*Looked like Smith was running with the 1's at Sam Linebacker. Garvin at LE and Jackson at RE.

*Our DT depth is atrocious. Losing our starting DT's really hurt. With those 2 guys back, our whole DL unit would've looked elite.

*Mark my words: Lawrence Cager is gonna have a breakout year and elevate himself into an early draft pick. He's gonna put himself on the national radar this year. He's an impressive site to see in person. Not only is he massive, but his knee bend for a guy his size/height is rare. Usually 6'5" WR's are stiff and struggle to bend (get in and out of their breaks). He's impressive.

*Our practice tempo is awesome. Lots of intensity. No bullsh!ttin. Guys are...eh em...FLYING AROUND.

*I like Coach Simpson. That is all.

*Our younger players are clearly on a different level than our Golden recruits. Our young WR's and (especially) DB's look very impressive. Hightower is a grown man already. The young DB's are all long and well put together.

*Our TE's are embarrassingly bad. They don't belong here. The Freshmans can't get here soon enough. Mallory was there and he's a good looking kid. Long.

*Chopped it up with my paisano Vinny Scavo. We talked about the last 2 regimes (Shannon and Golden) and the current state of our program. He's been around the team a long time and he said "we're getting there" and that this is the best looking team we've had in a while. He said losing the DT's really hurt but overall we look good. He's really on board with Richt and kept talking about what a "great man" he is, how he genuinely cares about the kids.

*Saw Richt chew-out Jaquan Johnson for a bit. That was fun. LOL

*Was impressed with how welcoming and personable everybody was. Even the team chaplain approached us and asked us where we were from and so on. Chopped it up with us for a good 20 minutes before moving on. This goes a long way in recruiting, making local coaches feel welcome and like they're part of the family. That didn't exist under Shannon and under Golden it came across as fabricated. (which from what I've heard, was Golden's MO anyway)

And finally, the most impressive thing I saw all day...

*Lorenzo MF'ing Lingard. That kid is on another level. Not only is he built like a brick ****house, but his burst is unreal. He's downhill RIGHT NOW. On several occasions my buddy and I went "**** who the **** was that?!" and it was #1.
Homer and Dallas are great, but IMO Lingard is just on another level. He's on that elite level of some of our previous/great RB's. It makes sense why he was ranked so high. There's no way he's kept off the field next season.
Great breakdown macho

*None of the QB's looked THAT good. They were okay. Quite a few INT's were thrown. Weldon, Rosier and Williams all threw picks. I don't recall one from Perry. I do remember him dropping an absolute dime to Hightower though. Just based off what I saw on Saturday I'd have to say that Perry is our #1.

*We weren't very innovative on offense but it's only spring and 3/4 of our QB's are young. We'll see how that develops.

*Rosier's really bad. Like reallllllllly bad. He's still throwing bubble screens into the dirt. Jeff Thomas had to dive to catch one, which ended up being a 2 yard loss. Fumbled a snap or two as well.

*Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson and (especially) Greg Rousseau are absolute freaks. Me and my coaching buddy were in complete shock watching Rousseau. He looks like a Jason Taylor clone and he's very physical for a kid who's still supposed to be in high school. The way he was punching/separating during run/inside drills...MY GOD.

*Looked like Smith was running with the 1's at Sam Linebacker. Garvin at LE and Jackson at RE.

*Our DT depth is atrocious. Losing our starting DT's really hurt. With those 2 guys back, our whole DL unit would've looked elite.

*Mark my words: Lawrence Cager is gonna have a breakout year and elevate himself into an early draft pick. He's gonna put himself on the national radar this year. He's an impressive site to see in person. Not only is he massive, but his knee bend for a guy his size/height is rare. Usually 6'5" WR's are stiff and struggle to bend (get in and out of their breaks). He's impressive.

*Our practice tempo is awesome. Lots of intensity. No bullsh!ttin. Guys are...eh em...FLYING AROUND.

*Our younger players are clearly on a different level than our Golden recruits. Our young WR's and (especially) DB's look very impressive. Hightower is a grown man already. The young DB's are all long and well put together.

*Our TE's are embarrassingly bad. They don't belong here. The Freshmans can't get here soon enough. Mallory was there and he's a good looking kid. Long.

*Chopped it up with my paisano Vinny Scavo. We talked about the last 2 regimes (Shannon and Golden) and the current state of our program. He's been around the team a long time and he said "we're getting there" and that this is the best looking team we've had in a while. He said losing the DT's really hurt but overall we look good. He's really on board with Richt and kept talking about what a "great man" he is, how he genuinely cares about the kids.

*Was impressed with how welcoming and personable everybody was. Even the team chaplain approached us and asked us where we were from and so on. Chopped it up with us for a good 20 minutes before moving on. This goes a long way in recruiting, making local coaches feel welcome and like they're part of the family. That didn't exist under Shannon and under Golden it came across as fabricated. (which from what I've heard, was Golden's MO anyway)

*Lorenzo MF'ing Lingard. That kid is on another level. Not only is he built like a brick ****house, but his burst is unreal. He's downhill RIGHT NOW. On several occasions my buddy and I went "**** who the **** was that?!" and it was #1.
Homer and Dallas are great, but IMO Lingard is just on another level. He's on that elite level of some of our previous/great RB's. It makes sense why he was ranked so high. There's no way he's kept off the field next season.

This needs its own thread.

Advertisement

we have more dt help on the way but I agree about the elite d line if those 2 had come back, do you think our run d will take a step back this year?

This is a great breakdown, agree 100%.

- Lingard had one run where he exploded up the middle and went 55+ for a TD. It wasn't full contact, but nobody got close enough to tackle him anyway.

- Rousseau is a monster. He is so laterally quick and long that he covers half the field. You can't leave him unblocked.

- Cager looked great, and from what I've heard he's been like that all spring. Like you said, he gets in and out of his breaks like a little guy. I think he's finally confident in his knee. Plus, his added bulk has helps him with the contested catches. He wrangled one from Dean if I remember correctly. NFL if he stays healthy.

- Redwine is another fourth-year guy who is looking stronger and more decisive.

- Jarren Williams only plays skeleton because of the lack of OL depth but he made a solid first impression IMO. Good arm strength and size. Wiggins made a nice diving catch on a ball he overthrew.

- I think Silvera and Miller will play right away. Tyreic Martin can't see the field and there is no third team.

First off, thanks for the insight. Second, I have one question:

As a whole, how did our defensive backs look? Does it appear like they have improved their coverage skills, specifically locating the ball when it's in the air?

Also, I was told that Patchan is actually "really good", he just can't stay healthy.
He definitely looks the part in person.

Choc has to be the best looking scrub I've ever seen. Impressive looking athlete. Bad football player? I don't even think he got a carry on Saturday.

Michael Jackson is another guy who should be first off the bus. Looks like a 1st round CB.

Advertisement
we have more dt help on the way but I agree about the elite d line if those 2 had come back, do you think our run d will take a step back this year?

Same LB's + worse DT's.
I'd be surprised if it didn't take a step back. But maybe guys like Ford are actually better against the run. (he's enormous)
We'll see. They didn't seem to be getting carved up too bad on Saturday.

First off, thanks for the insight. Second, I have one question:

As a whole, how did our defensive backs look? Does it appear like they have improved their coverage skills, specifically locating the ball when it's in the air?

Saw quite a few passes where the QB had to either hold onto the ball or take a check-down, which means our DB's were doing their thing.

Redwine made a really nice pick on a seam route.
Bandy made a RIDICULOUS pick on a quick slant. The way he jumped the route was incredible. Would've been a pick-6. It was different than the pick-6 against ND. This time he was in a press-man coverage and he jumped in front of the slant route of the man he was locked up on.

I didn't see too many situations where our DB's would've had to play the ball deep and turn their heads. I only remember a couple deep balls. One was under-thrown and knocked down, the other was a completion when Hightower burned Ivey.

Advertisement
I will not fall for Spring practice QB hype.
I will not fall for Spring practice QB hype.....

But "it's not even close", bro!

Advertisement
Back