Rutgers at Miami (-3) - 7:15 ET on ESPNU

Advertisement
Last year's recruiting class of Jakai, Bensley, and Wooga seems to be more low upside than I initially thought. Bensley is a dog but on this team he's never going to be a top 3 option, Wooga is like Walker except more of a SF and can somewhat drive to the rim. Jakai won't see minutes without injuries, as an undersized 2 guard who hasn't flashed much, he won't see minutes without injuries. The 2022 recruiting class will be the most important to our success imo. All 4 of them as I've seen them in person are tall. At least 6'8" and taller than Omier. Casey has already taken over Walker's spot, I think you'll eventually see Watson to give Miller some breaks and you'll see Aire against some of the taller bigs. Danilo is also an unknown, but he could be a wildcard too. Both Watson and Danilo have grown since recruiting and at their size they could be some real good players for us.

He did and he looked atrocious. He has regressed.
Actually not, he's exactly what he's always been: An athlete pretending to play basketball. He just doesn't get what basketball is about, and outside of him being great in transition, gives you nothing offensively.

Last year's recruiting class of Jakai, Bensley, and Wooga seems to be more low upside than I initially thought. Bensley is a dog but on this team he's never going to be a top 3 option, Wooga is like Walker except more of a SF and can somewhat drive to the rim. Jakai won't see minutes without injuries, as an undersized 2 guard who hasn't flashed much, he won't see minutes without injuries. The 2022 recruiting class will be the most important to our success imo. All 4 of them as I've seen them in person are tall. At least 6'8" and taller than Omier. Casey has already taken over Walker's spot, I think you'll eventually see Watson to give Miller some breaks and you'll see Aire against some of the taller bigs. Danilo is also an unknown, but he could be a wildcard too. Both Watson and Danilo have grown since recruiting and at their size they could be some real good players for us.

Wooga is far better offensively than Walker ever was, at any point of his career. Wooga gives you energy, he can defend, and his offensive game is coming along nicely. Joseph is a winning basketball player, he's the kind of guy that makes it possible for others to shine, because he does a lot of things well. He doesn't need to be a high end scorer. Amazing how you are acting like these guys are scrubs as true sophomores. The growth taken by Wooga in one offseason is insane, compared to what he was last year.

Advertisement
Wooga is far better offensively than Walker ever was, at any point of his career. Wooga gives you energy, he can defend, and his offensive game is coming along nicely. Joseph is a winning basketball player, he's the kind of guy that makes it possible for others to shine, because he does a lot of things well. He doesn't need to be a high end scorer. Amazing how you are acting like these guys are scrubs as true sophomores. The growth taken by Wooga in one offseason is insane, compared to what he was last year.
Not saying they're scrubs, but I'm just saying I can't see them developing into stars like Wong has. If you think about it going back a few seasons, who are Miami's homegrown stars/high end contributors? Lykes, Wong, maybe DJ. Omier, Pack, Miller, McGusty, Moore are all transfers and have been the reason behind the team's recent success. The 2020 recruiting class crashed and burned with Timberlake and Cross transferring. Wooga has upside to fill that Kam McGusty type of player if he really works on his offensive game, but its not a given. Bensley is great but I don't think he'll ever be a go-to guy down the stretch. They could prove me wrong, but all I'm saying is that the 2022 class really excites me more with their upside.

Not saying they're scrubs, but I'm just saying I can't see them developing into stars like Wong has. If you think about it going back a few seasons, who are Miami's homegrown stars/high end contributors? Lykes, Wong, maybe DJ. Omier, Pack, Miller, McGusty, Moore are all transfers and have been the reason behind the team's recent success. The 2020 recruiting class crashed and burned with Timberlake and Cross transferring. Wooga has upside to fill that Kam McGusty type of player if he really works on his offensive game, but its not a given. Bensley is great but I don't think he'll ever be a go-to guy down the stretch. They could prove me wrong, but all I'm saying is that the 2022 class really excites me more with their upside.
You need guys like Joseph in order to win. People forget that L's last crop of recruited stars(Reed, Brown, Walker) are now in the NBA, and the FBI investigation took away any kind of recruiting momentum. We are just getting back to that point, after **** near 5 years. People act like Moore came in here like Pack, people were calling him a scrub. L hits on his evals in regards to transfers, nothing wrong with that.

Yes, this freshman class is better on paper than the class before it, but let's also be honest: I know Joseph can play at this level, Wooga is growing by leaps and bounds. We don't know what Wooga can be, because he isn't having to carry that load, due to Wong, Pack, Miller and Omier being the main guys. Who knows what happens when Wong and Miller leave after this season. Technically, Omier and pack can come back, maybe Wooga is that third scorer, if his jumper continues to improve, I can see him being that player.

If your metric is solely star power, I guess you might have a point. But their ceiling is not low.

Bensley is already playing into a top level ACC PG role and Wooga has made plenty of progress to justify a lot of optimism about his future star potential.

Jakai - there’s nothing for us to judge yet… so let’s wait and see there.

What is really scary is how good Rutgers was playing and how the Canes just willed the game into their favor and made a good team suddenly look bad in a valiant comeback win going away. Ya have to think this scrappy Miami team can be very special and be a factor in the ACC conference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lotta comments on national TV this morning about the "late arriving" Canes crowd missing Coach L ceremony. "No one there."
Jesus Christ himself could have a pre game ceremony at formerly FTX arena and the miami crowd would still show up 15 to 30 minutes after tip off.

No matter how often it is brought up by media, opposing fans, Twitter, etc…. It will never change.

Advertisement
Actually not, he's exactly what he's always been: An athlete pretending to play basketball. He just doesn't get what basketball is about, and outside of him being great in transition, gives you nothing offensively.
I respectfully disagree. He was much more productive and efficient as a sophomore (that was a bad team where he saw more minutes) and even at times last year. He was always an athlete playing basketball, but he was more impactful than what he is now. It looks like he's lost all his confidence.

1669902915999.png

As a sophomore, he averaged nearly 10 points and 5 boards a game on 42% shooting.

Last year, his minutes were cut in half because the team was much better, but he still contributed 5 and 3 on 46% shooting.

So far this year? He is completely useless, shooting 22% and committing a turnover every time he touches the ball. He has in fact regressed.

I respectfully disagree. He was much more productive and efficient as a sophomore (that was a bad team where he saw more minutes) and even at times last year. He was always an athlete playing basketball, but he was more impactful than what he is now. It looks like he's lost all his confidence.

View attachment 217457

As a sophomore, he averaged nearly 10 points and 5 boards a game on 42% shooting.

Last year, his minutes were cut in half because the team was much better, but he still contributed 5 and 3 on 46% shooting.

So far this year? He is completely useless, shooting 22% and committing a turnover every time he touches the ball. He has in fact regressed.
Unless foul trouble occurs I believe last night was his last straw. Got in early and as advertised dribbles it off his leg for a turnover.

When your minutes are getting trimmed like his are, you have to make positive plays out there even if it doesn’t make it on the stat sheet. He doesn’t do that and I believe last night was the last minutes he sees without major foul trouble. I think Aire is next up to take his minutes because Casey already has

Unless foul trouble occurs I believe last night was his last straw. Got in early and as advertised dribbles it off his leg for a turnover.

When your minutes are getting trimmed like his are, you have to make positive plays out there even if it doesn’t make it on the stat sheet. He doesn’t do that and I believe last night was the last minutes he sees without major foul trouble. I think Aire is next up to take his minutes because Casey already has
I agree. He seems like a great kid and still looks excited for his teammates, but I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers at this rate.

Advertisement
In watching the ESPNU telecast the announcers talked about Rutgers way more than Miami. It seemed like it was highly slated in every way ?
I thought the crowd in general was good and excited the students were dead.
Wong really played his heart out when he does that Miami is always in ball games, he needs to show up every game.

Joseph is playing like a starting point guard that Coach L just can't take off the floor.

Great basketball IQ, doesn't turn it over and plays smothering defense. The kid needs to play 35 minutes.
Probably our best defender since Davon?

Advertisement
Back