RPO, RPO, RPO, RPO…blah blah blah

Advertisement
To get the plus one advantage and have the running back be the ball carrier against a 6 man box, the offense must leave a defender unblocked and keep the seventh defender from entering. With the RPO, any run can be used. Some like zone, some like gap based power runs. In this example, the run will be the common inside zone run, and the pass will be a hitch and fade on the front and the backside route will be an out and fade.
View attachment 41291

The quarterback will take the snap and immediately get his eyes to the conflicted defender. If that defender comes downhill to fill the B gap, the quarterback will pull and throw to the slot receiver who is going to make sure to body up and block out any safety who may be coming down to rob. By leaving the linebacker unblocked, the offense gains a plus one in the run game. By separating the field and sending routes deep, it forces safeties to remain out of the run game, ie to keep the seventh defender out. Because the backside is running a speed out, the defender over him will be unable to come into the run box. As defenses adjust to what is happening the offense must continue understand what gaps or passing zones are being left open, or being defended by dual defenders. As long as the offense knows the answer to that question, there is an RPO to attack with. Ultimately, the final chalk lies with a cover zero. At that point, it is my man against your man. Play ball.

Also let's say if they play man with a 5 yard cushion and a high safety with one of those CB's biting or play man to man; one of those outside receivers is going to make a big chunk play

Like Richards did against WVU?

Yup, or even Malcolm Lewis's TD

CB and LB or Safety? Pulled in by run and Malc sneaks into the back for the touchdown

Wait that was play action lol

Last edited:
Not necessarily based on numbers in the box, but rather a single defender that the QB is reading. (aka the "conflict defender") Usually a box defender like an Outside Linebacker.

You've got the right idea though.

Thank you for the knowledge much appreciated.

Any time, dude.

Class as I mentioned before these guys listed above love to say other people don't know RPO and then start to ramble on and on about what it is. Now, here is the kicker, all of these so called experts in RPO don't know what "The read option run" is. Just think about that for a second. Anyone, with a basic understanding of RPO knows that The Read Option Run is a wrinkle and an evolution of the read option pass/play action pass. Remember the guys that are pretty good in interviews and get the job because they talk a good game but as soon as you ask them to do something they can't seem to do it. This is because they really don't know what they are doing.

Hopefully, they move forward with the discussion and answer those questions that actually makes this RPO philosophy work. Because as stated we don't need RPO defined a million times!!!

I think I know what the read/option is. I've only been around it for 9 years.

The read/option is not a "wrinkle" of the RPO concept. It can be incorporated if you have a QB who can do it, but it's not a wrinkle. You can run RPO's all **** day and not utilize a read/option concept one single time.

Again, you're clueless.

Sorry class but this is just too good to be true. HEEEHEEEE!!!! How in the **** did you get your job? How in the **** do these people keep falling for this BS.... I mean you post all of these snapshots, you breakdown all of these plays "You know if the defense does this... We can do that like in the WV game" and you didn't know that this was a wrinkle... LOL!!! Again, I hope you guys try to stay focused and answer the four original questions.

Last edited:
Not necessarily based on numbers in the box, but rather a single defender that the QB is reading. (aka the "conflict defender") Usually a box defender like an Outside Linebacker.

You've got the right idea though.

Thank you for the knowledge much appreciated.

Any time, dude.

Class as I mentioned before these guys listed above love to say other people don't know RPO and then start to ramble on and on about what it is. Now, here is the kicker, all of these so called experts in RPO don't know what "The read option run" is. Just think about that for a second. Anyone, with a basic understanding of RPO knows that The Read Option Run is a wrinkle and an evolution of the read option pass/play action pass. Remember the guys that are pretty good in interviews and get the job because they talk a good game but as soon as you ask them to do something they can't seem to do it. This is because they really don't know what they are doing.

Hopefully, they move forward with the discussion and answer those questions that actually makes this RPO philosophy work. Because as stated we don't need RPO defined a million times!!!

I think I know what the read/option is. I've only been around it for 9 years.

The read/option is not a "wrinkle" of the RPO concept. It can be incorporated if you have a QB who can do it, but it's not a wrinkle. You can run RPO's all **** day and not utilize a read/option concept one single time.

Again, you're clueless.

Dont get offended Moron cause you started a thread w/out doing your homework...its kool, the thread taught you what you were trying to teach the thread...were all wrong sometimes, but dont stay ignorant playa

[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] told you, just thumps his chest

Advertisement
To get the plus one advantage and have the running back be the ball carrier against a 6 man box, the offense must leave a defender unblocked and keep the seventh defender from entering. With the RPO, any run can be used. Some like zone, some like gap based power runs. In this example, the run will be the common inside zone run, and the pass will be a hitch and fade on the front and the backside route will be an out and fade.
View attachment 41291

The quarterback will take the snap and immediately get his eyes to the conflicted defender. If that defender comes downhill to fill the B gap, the quarterback will pull and throw to the slot receiver who is going to make sure to body up and block out any safety who may be coming down to rob. By leaving the linebacker unblocked, the offense gains a plus one in the run game. By separating the field and sending routes deep, it forces safeties to remain out of the run game, ie to keep the seventh defender out. Because the backside is running a speed out, the defender over him will be unable to come into the run box. As defenses adjust to what is happening the offense must continue understand what gaps or passing zones are being left open, or being defended by dual defenders. As long as the offense knows the answer to that question, there is an RPO to attack with. Ultimately, the final chalk lies with a cover zero. At that point, it is my man against your man. Play ball.

Also let's say if they play man with a 5 yard cushion and a high safety with one of those CB's biting or play man to man; one of those outside receivers is going to make a big chunk play

I think that play was actually a called play-action pass. If you watch the OL off the snap they set up in pass pro.

View attachment 41291

I think that play was actually a called play-action pass. If you watch the OL off the snap they set up in pass pro.

Oh you're right they did. Sorry for the bad info, working a long *** shift right now lol

View attachment 41291

CB and LB or Safety? Pulled in by run and Malc sneaks into the back for the touchdown

That play was ****.

View attachment 41291

Didn't notice that. You're right.

Advertisement
View attachment 41291

That play was ****.
It was. I think Ridler is right though about it being PA

Yah, the money mac touchdown was a neat play action call.

Done talking to Moro. He is not very bright.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

View attachment 41291

The CB on that play was more like 10 yards. The read was really easy for Kaaya.

Let's say the defense does play man-free with a 5 yard cushion. What's the offense's answer for that?

Advertisement
[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] told you, just thumps his chest

No don't get me wrong, I respect the information that you guys try to put out there. However, you guys in particular try your damnedest to attack anything that I try to put up that will help CIS fans as a whole with the analytics. Now if you guys find that someone is wrong on something, join in the discussion without trying to tear down something that someone has taken the time to share with the CIS community. But you have to give respect back.

Last edited:
We've already torn down your wrong information, bud.

LMAO @ information that we "try" to put out.

View attachment 41291

Let's say the defense does play man-free with a 5 yard cushion. What's the offense's answer for that?

Hitch or slant routes on the outside. Simply pull and throw the ball and let the WR make a play if they give you the 5 yard cushion. They thought he was running a vert....or the reason why you give Ahmmon that cushion...so he doesn't run by you lol

Advertisement
View attachment 41291

Man-Free is the most sound thing against RPO's. Any form of single-high is, really. But now the defense is living in the "man" world, which leaves them susceptible to other stuff.

This guy talks about RPO's versus different coverages. (he goes into man-free around 12:23)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGF9NBCfa8&t=62s

Class really.... Really...... Haven't we all seen the same **** snapshots and RPO videos a thousand times.... Moro, just don't go around making this stuff up... I told you we have many cases that we need to bring into the world of reality... Really...

Last edited:
The problem we have with our rpos, this is just a guess on my part based on what I have seen and read, is our 5 offensive linemen and te can't consistently win against the 6 men in the box. I would take away the pass and forcing the run which we don't do very well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

I let you off the hook because you at least provided something related to the the topic. Thank you for your insight.

Advertisement
Back