RPO, RPO, RPO, RPO…blah blah blah

So far not one of the RPO offensive geniuses have proven that what I have written isn't true nor have they answered any questions. Mane, they talk a good game about everyone else not knowing, but they can't seem to apply what they think they know.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So far not one the RPO offensive geniuses have proven that what I have written isn't true nor have they answered any questions. Mane, they talk a good game about everyone else, but they can't seem to apply what they think they know.

That's because there's no point in arguing with you. You're obviously a football-****** or a troll account.

You clearly have no idea what RPO stands for. I'll give you a hint: RPO doesn't stand for read option run like you have in the OP. RPO stands for run-pass option.

The play call is a called run in the huddle. The QB has the option to pull the ball out of the RBs belly and pass it to an outside receiver if the match up is favorable. Richards' touchdown against WVU was an example of this.

BTW it's [MENTION=5770]blah[/MENTION] blah blah

This is what you get from pro RPOs proponents when challenged with real analytics and application questions.

Macho, where you at? What are your thoughts? Let's see if you can apply all that RPO knowledge you have.

Waste of time. You clearly don't know what an RPO concept is so I'd be talking to a brick wall, much like I am now.

It is always a perfectly can’t lose choice on any given play philosophy when you here it explained. What pro RPO lovers fail to tell you are the requirements needed at each position for it to be successfully executed against these highly complex defenses that RPO is supposedly able to defeat know matter the situation?

For RPO to be successful in Richt’s read option run game you will need the following because he stated that he wants to be able to establish the run game first and far most in his offense:

The read option run. You need to recruit consistently, a QB that has the wheels to make the execution of that play deadly. Especially with a fast athletic zone blocking offensive line and disciplined and willing run blocking WRs and TEs. Not to mention to set RPO apart from any other system requires the innovation by the OC and the buy in of the players and along with the execution of the OL.

1) The OC's innovations with RPOs were tested this year. Will the OCs creativity be enough to defeat the highly complex defenses in the ACC?

2) QBs gifted with an athletic body, analytical brain, exceptional speed, who seldom forces throws don't grow on trees every year. With so many P5 teams competing for dual threat QBs with all these traits; can this staff consistently win the recruiting battle for the top QBs?

3) OL can U consistently recruit fast athletic zone blocking O Lineman every year, which also don’t grow on trees?

4) Blocking WRs and TEs you can find a dime a dozen but the hybrids that we have been known to attract will stop coming because they want the ball. Can this staff continue to win the battle for these elites at the WR and TE position?

Now, I gave you the formula for RPOs to be successful. You now tell me how well are U doing in recruiting these needs in year two? The answers will give you an honest idea of where you are and how long it will take you to get to where you need to be. It should also give you an indication if you can sustain long-term success or dynasty run.

* Don't give me "What complex defenses in the ACC" because you didn't have an answer for at least four teams.
** And don't start with your explanation of what RPO is "We get it, already", "We also no the problems" so this is my solution to the problem.
*** If you can't do any of the above four consistently please do us all a favor and let's agree to scrap RPO because half *** won't cut it.

PS: For those that appreciate this kind of information; Thanks For Reading I look forward to reading your insights on the subject!!!

Moro Brings The Good News!!! So **** it... Let's Get It!!!!

Moro I'm far from an expert...but why is "The read option run" and RPO in the same discussion.
I'm pretty sure it's two completely different things.
As I understand it RPO in the simplest of explanations is a concept were the QB has an option to hand it to the RB or Pass it depending on the numbers in the box.

Last edited:
It's 100% understandable if someone doesn't know what an RPO is. It only becomes irritating when guys like Moro(n) spout off a bunch of misinformation (with conviction) as if they know WTF it is. There's nothing wrong with not knowing. But when you pretend to know just to be cool expect to be corrected.

Advertisement
It is always a perfectly can’t lose choice on any given play philosophy when you here it explained. What pro RPO lovers fail to tell you are the requirements needed at each position for it to be successfully executed against these highly complex defenses that RPO is supposedly able to defeat know matter the situation?

For RPO to be successful in Richt’s read option run game you will need the following because he stated that he wants to be able to establish the run game first and far most in his offense:

The read option run. You need to recruit consistently, a QB that has the wheels to make the execution of that play deadly. Especially with a fast athletic zone blocking offensive line and disciplined and willing run blocking WRs and TEs. Not to mention to set RPO apart from any other system requires the innovation by the OC and the buy in of the players and along with the execution of the OL.

1) The OC's innovations with RPOs were tested this year. Will the OCs creativity be enough to defeat the highly complex defenses in the ACC?

2) QBs gifted with an athletic body, analytical brain, exceptional speed, who seldom forces throws don't grow on trees every year. With so many P5 teams competing for dual threat QBs with all these traits; can this staff consistently win the recruiting battle for the top QBs?

3) OL can U consistently recruit fast athletic zone blocking O Lineman every year, which also don’t grow on trees?

4) Blocking WRs and TEs you can find a dime a dozen but the hybrids that we have been known to attract will stop coming because they want the ball. Can this staff continue to win the battle for these elites at the WR and TE position?

Now, I gave you the formula for RPOs to be successful. You now tell me how well are U doing in recruiting these needs in year two? The answers will give you an honest idea of where you are and how long it will take you to get to where you need to be. It should also give you an indication if you can sustain long-term success or dynasty run.

* Don't give me "What complex defenses in the ACC" because you didn't have an answer for at least four teams.
** And don't start with your explanation of what RPO is "We get it, already", "We also no the problems" so this is my solution to the problem.
*** If you can't do any of the above four consistently please do us all a favor and let's agree to scrap RPO because half *** won't cut it.

PS: For those that appreciate this kind of information; Thanks For Reading I look forward to reading your insights on the subject!!!

Moro I'm far from an expert...but is "The read option run" and RPO in the same discussion.
As I understand it RPO in the simplest of explanations is a concept were the QB has an option to hand it to the RB or Pass it depending on the numbers in the box.

Not necessarily based on numbers in the box, but rather a single defender that the QB is reading. (aka the "conflict defender") Usually a box defender like an Outside Linebacker.

You've got the right idea though.

Moro I'm far from an expert...but is "The read option run" and RPO in the same discussion.

Not necessarily based on numbers in the box, but rather a single defender that the QB is reading. (aka the "conflict defender") Usually a box defender like an Outside Linebacker.

Thank you for the knowledge much appreciated.

Couldn't have said it better...cats trying to put wisdom on a subject that they themselves have lil knowledge of.

Advertisement
So far not one of the RPO offensive geniuses have proven that what I have written isn't true nor have they answered any questions. Mane, they talk a good game about everyone else not knowing, but they can't seem to apply what they think they know.

Why should me and [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] even bother? All you're going to do is beat your chest about how we're wrong and you're right....even though everybody will know you're wrong

Last edited:

Any time, dude.

OP is so wrong that it is comical. Dude, what are you talking about? Read option and run pass option are two completely different plays. RPO IS NOT AN OFFENSE!!! it is a play concept. I am not sure how many RPOs we have in the offense, but I would be willing to bet there aren't more than half a dozen or so RPO plays in our offense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

To get the plus one advantage and have the running back be the ball carrier against a 6 man box, the offense must leave a defender unblocked and keep the seventh defender from entering. With the RPO, any run can be used. Some like zone, some like gap based power runs. In this example, the run will be the common inside zone run, and the pass will be a hitch and fade on the front and the backside route will be an out and fade.
RPO.webp

The quarterback will take the snap and immediately get his eyes to the conflicted defender. If that defender comes downhill to fill the B gap, the quarterback will pull and throw to the slot receiver who is going to make sure to body up and block out any safety who may be coming down to rob. By leaving the linebacker unblocked, the offense gains a plus one in the run game. By separating the field and sending routes deep, it forces safeties to remain out of the run game, ie to keep the seventh defender out. Because the backside is running a speed out, the defender over him will be unable to come into the run box. As defenses adjust to what is happening the offense must continue understand what gaps or passing zones are being left open, or being defended by dual defenders. As long as the offense knows the answer to that question, there is an RPO to attack with. Ultimately, the final chalk lies with a cover zero. At that point, it is my man against your man. Play ball.

Advertisement
To get the plus one advantage and have the running back be the ball carrier against a 6 man box, the offense must leave a defender unblocked and keep the seventh defender from entering. With the RPO, any run can be used. Some like zone, some like gap based power runs. In this example, the run will be the common inside zone run, and the pass will be a hitch and fade on the front and the backside route will be an out and fade.
View attachment 41291

The quarterback will take the snap and immediately get his eyes to the conflicted defender. If that defender comes downhill to fill the B gap, the quarterback will pull and throw to the slot receiver who is going to make sure to body up and block out any safety who may be coming down to rob. By leaving the linebacker unblocked, the offense gains a plus one in the run game. By separating the field and sending routes deep, it forces safeties to remain out of the run game, ie to keep the seventh defender out. Because the backside is running a speed out, the defender over him will be unable to come into the run box. As defenses adjust to what is happening the offense must continue understand what gaps or passing zones are being left open, or being defended by dual defenders. As long as the offense knows the answer to that question, there is an RPO to attack with. Ultimately, the final chalk lies with a cover zero. At that point, it is my man against your man. Play ball.

Also let's say if they play man with a 5 yard cushion and a high safety with one of those CB's biting or play man to man; one of those outside receivers is going to make a big chunk play

The problem we have with our rpos, this is just a guess on my part based on what I have seen and read, is our 5 offensive linemen and te can't consistently win against the 6 men in the box. I would take away the pass and forcing the run which we don't do very well

View attachment 41291

Also let's say if they play man with a 5 yard cushion and a high safety with one of those CB's biting or play man to man; one of those outside receivers is going to make a big chunk play

Like Richards did against WVU?

Advertisement
View attachment 41291

Again, thanks for educating the fan base, macho. Well done.

Riddler80 is spot on with his description of RPO...CMR is not looking for the jalen Hurts of the world or the jt barretts (neither can throw or read a defense) but rather the baker Mayfields/ deandre francior type skill-sets. Just talking about their skill-sets in comparison, able to run when necessary but smart decision-making and accurate passers. Tough to defend when the offense is made up of playmakers and a productive oline

Any time, dude.

Class as I mentioned before these guys listed above love to say other people don't know RPO and then start to ramble on and on about what it is. Now, here is the kicker, all of these so called experts in RPO don't know what "The read option run" is. Just think about that for a second. Anyone, with a basic understanding of RPO knows that The Read Option Run is a wrinkle and an evolution of the read option pass/play action pass. Remember the guys that are pretty good in interviews and get the job because they talk a good game but as soon as you ask them to do something they can't seem to do it. This is because they really don't know what they are doing.

Hopefully, they move forward with the discussion and answer those questions that actually makes this RPO philosophy work. Because as stated we don't need RPO defined a million times!!!

Any time, dude.

Class as I mentioned before these guys listed above love to say other people don't know RPO and then start to ramble on and on about what it is. Now, here is the kicker, all of these so called experts in RPO don't know what "The read option run" is. Just think about that for a second. Anyone, with a basic understanding of RPO knows that The Read Option Run is a wrinkle and an evolution of the read option pass/play action pass. Remember the guys that are pretty good in interviews and get the job because they talk a good game but as soon as you ask them to do something they can't seem to do it. This is because they really don't know what they are doing.

Hopefully, they move forward with the discussion and answer those questions that actually makes this RPO philosophy work. Because as stated we don't need RPO defined a million times!!!

I think I know what the read/option is. I've only been around it for 9 years.

The read/option is not a "wrinkle" of the RPO concept. It can be incorporated if you have a QB who can do it, but it's not a wrinkle. You can run RPO's all **** day and not utilize a read/option concept one single time.

Again, you're clueless.

Advertisement
Back