Ramon Buchanan expectations?

If stat is lurking maybe we can get one of those game breakdowns for Buchanan against Maryland. 8 Tackles, 2TFL

Advertisement
He had stupid closing speed. Not sure how he's gonna look coming off the knee injury though. He'll probably end up starting, but rotating a lot more with our young guys as the season goes on.

He had stupid closing speed. Not sure how he's gonna look coming off the knee injury though. He'll probably end up starting, but rotating a lot more with our young guys as the season goes on.

i know he had 4.4 speed but never thought he actually played fast. instincts just were always lacking. that and aggressiveness. i do think the extra muscle he put on last year helped with that some early last year before he got hurt. but we'll see. i like the young guys at LB more than I liked what I've seen from Cookie during his time - practices/games/high school footage/the whole 9.

Advertisement
I thought that Cookie showed much improvement last year and was the Canes 2nd best LB before he got hurt! He had put on weight and looked like he was much more suited for the LB position. Hope he is healthy.

I agree. dude is waaaaay better than Gaines. they are in different universes athletically

His speed was his best attribute and he's coming off of knee surgery.

IMO, his best role would be as a "monster" at a school like WVU. He's better the further away he is from the scrum.

Last edited:
Advertisement

i know he had 4.4 speed but never thought he actually played fast. instincts just were always lacking. that and aggressiveness. i do think the extra muscle he put on last year helped with that some early last year before he got hurt. but we'll see. i like the young guys at LB more than I liked what I've seen from Cookie during his time - practices/games/high school footage/the whole 9.

That's why I specifically mentioned his closing speed. You're right, his football instincts weren't there, but when he made up his mind he was moving.

I'm not sure that Buchanon will do enough to even get drafted this year if that gives you a clue as to how his season will go.

Hope I'm wrong but he hasn't done a thing at UM yet.

Hard to say how good he'll be without knowing how healthy he is. His 'thing' is his athletic ability, not his football IQ, so if he's limited physically he might not see much of the field as the season moves on. I hope he has a classic Cane awesome last year, but not counting on it.

Advertisement
Does not diagnose plays well, great athlete though.

pretty much sums him up to me.

yep, and Gaines doesn't diagnose well, tackle well, engage blockers well, and he is a mediocre athlete in terms of Canes LBs expectations

rather play the leet athlete that has more experience

Gaines attacks downhill. For the SLB I take the guy who attacks and meets the blocker at the line of scrimmage or behind it instead of waiting for the blocker to meet them. I don't expect many tackles from the SLB but puts the whole defense at a disadvantage if he's consistently waiting for blockers to reach him.

There won't be a lot of difference between Gaines and Buchanan. Gaines is a better LB than he gets credit for, and Buchanan isn't as good as he gets credit for. Hopefully they can both play at a decent level and compliment Perryman.

Your obsession with Jimmy Gaines never ceases to amaze me. Good kid but he is a below average ACC linebacker. Buchanon is much better.

LOL. If Gaines doesn't show marked improvement this year, I'll concede.

Advertisement
There won't be a lot of difference between Gaines and Buchanan. Gaines is a better LB than he gets credit for, and Buchanan isn't as good as he gets credit for. Hopefully they can both play at a decent level and compliment Perryman.

Your obsession with Jimmy Gaines never ceases to amaze me. Good kid but he is a below average ACC linebacker. Buchanon is much better.

LOL. If Gaines doesn't show marked improvement this year, I'll concede.

Gaines is a Randy Shannon REACH special. Kid was from Buffalo and nobody cared to even let him come to their camps

The mere fact that the kid is on the field making tackles is miraculous

If Gaines becomes even a serviceable backup, that would be a testament to the coaching staff.

Kid has zero expectations attached to him

Gaines hasn't shown me anything. He was awful in the middle, then got lost after he moved.

We'll see, but I'm not expecting much.

Advertisement
Back