R.I.P.

Place was falling apart, but it was still much better watching a football game there than no-life. The views were great as long as you weren't behind a pillar lol.

That's one of my points, also sun life sucks **** as well. If i had to choose between the two I'd pick the orange bowl but both still sucked

Advertisement
If I want to go to a football game to be comfortable, I wait to get a ticket to a box.

Even as a little kid, there's nothing I loved more than standing up during the game. Once I was a little older, there was nothing better than standing for 4 hours in the WEZ, drinking rum smuggled into the stadium, and seeing who was going to pass out.

My God. 8PM games. The '94 game with Carlos Jones returning the INT vs FSU. That Washington in 2001 game was surreal. That UF game in 2003* (thanks for the correction) was out of a dream. The Louisville game with Hester returning the punt. So many more.

I can't believe we lost 47-0 to Virginia and a bunch of TEs running against man underneath in the last game, a night game, in the Orange Bowl. Thank God I had gotten to the tailgate at 6:45AM and was so drunk I thought it was all fake.

Last edited:
UF was the first game of 03, 02 we put the beatdown up in the Swamp. I, too, was blackout drunk for the final game and made walking out before the final seconds ticked down easy. A piece of me died that night.

We had an epic tailgate. We rented out an entire empty lot on the east side (across from where the frats, etc., used to tailgate). We made a f'in pig in a Caja China. Went all out. There may have been 500,000 funnels taken that day. We literally got to the stadium at like 6:45AM or something. We played dominoes for about the first 3 hours. Then people started trickling in. My first funnel was at 7:30AM. My drunkenness peaked right before the game. I thought we were going to rip out spines. By the time the game was winding down, I was sitting in the WEZ and watching people tear off seats and pieces of the stadium. All the while, Virginia was running up the score. That all sounds fake to me.

One other thing I'll say - I haven't lived in Miami since 1999 and now I go to Miami to either visit my friends and family or to go to 'Canes games. During college, I flew in for the 2000, 2002 and 2004 FSU games, the 2001 Washington and VT games, the 2003 Florida game and a couple others. Obviously, I saw some awesome games. While I always traveled to see the 'Canes play, part of me was traveling to see the 'Canes play in the OB. There was nothing like walking by the Bowl Bar, up to the stadium, through the smell of the arepas and mystery meat, up to the gate to wait to get into the WEZ.

Now, maybe it's because since our move we just haven't been nearly as good, but I will honestly say that while I still get excited to come in for games, there is just isn't quite that same excitement to go to games in JRS. I still love seeing us play, I'll never stop traveling to see us play, but the experience just isn't the same any more. Maybe when we get better, which I think we're going to do, the experience will improve. But, even for the past 2 FSU games, the environment at JRS didn't come close to touching night games against FSU in the OB.

Advertisement
Place was falling apart, but it was still much better watching a football game there than no-life. The views were great as long as you weren't behind a pillar lol.

That's one of my points, also sun life sucks **** as well. If i had to choose between the two I'd pick the orange bowl but both still sucked

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but yours is idiotic.

I've been to dozens of college football and pro stadiums, and the OB was special, not just because of it's history or iconic views, but because of it's construction. It was a football stadium, pure and simple. Lots of college stadiums have been added to over the years, expanded and re expanded until more seats are endzone view at the height of the empire state building, or far from the field surrounded by a track or some ****.

Lots of pro stadiums are either multi-purpose or ones that sacrifice ambiance at the alter of luxury.

Over the years, I took many friends and associates to the OB, many of them unbiased observers, fans of other teams, or not college fans in general, and just about unanimously they all got the same impression: the OB was a great place to watch a game, that needed some upkeep.

The OB was an excellent football stadium in truth, just one that had fallen into disrepair because of stupidity, politics, and a lack of foresight.

Opinions are like ********, and you can stop showing yours over and over again in this thread, just because you've said your piece something doesn't make it realistic or informed.
I've been to over 25 games at the OB and loved the watching my canes play but it doesn't change the FACT the place was run down, also watch the name calling. People don't always agree it doesn't make either of us right

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but yours is idiotic.

I've been to dozens of college football and pro stadiums, and the OB was special, not just because of it's history or iconic views, but because of it's construction. It was a football stadium, pure and simple. Lots of college stadiums have been added to over the years, expanded and re expanded until more seats are endzone view at the height of the empire state building, or far from the field surrounded by a track or some ****.

Lots of pro stadiums are either multi-purpose or ones that sacrifice ambiance at the alter of luxury.

Over the years, I took many friends and associates to the OB, many of them unbiased observers, fans of other teams, or not college fans in general, and just about unanimously they all got the same impression: the OB was a great place to watch a game, that needed some upkeep.

The OB was an excellent football stadium in truth, just one that had fallen into disrepair because of stupidity, politics, and a lack of foresight.

Opinions are like ********, and you can stop showing yours over and over again in this thread, just because you've said your piece something doesn't make it realistic or informed.
I've been to over 25 games at the OB and loved the watching my canes play but it doesn't change the FACT the place was run down, also watch the name calling. People don't always agree it doesn't make either of us right

If you think I overtly called you any names, you don't read for content very well. Doesn't completely surprise me, considering.

Since you keep insisting on infecting this thread with your dribble, why don't you name some college stadiums that are better than the OB was for us. (I would say to leave the SEC out of this, but ****, that should give you around 8 or 9 right there.

Thing is, it would be hard to do. Lots of college stadiums simply aren't that great. And lots of them have the same logistical problems that the OB had, in spades.
Clearly saying what I think is idiotic, saying what I say is dribble, saying that I don't read well, I guess are all ways of you not calling names or talking ****? point still stands you're not right neither am I it's all a matter of opinion which means there is no wrong answer

I saw Griese and Csonka play in the OB. Even then when people started stomping their feet people made jokes about the place falling down. Was a grip in the 80's for TBS, got $20 bucks and a meal, youth leagues would have their games in the OB. The locker room was a joke, don't know how CFB teams with 80 plus players fit in there.

Advertisement
The fix was in. After that flag football game where former Canes & Dolphins played, the demolition seemed like it started very quickly. Has anyone seen any city, let alone the city of Miami, move so fast on a project? Too bad they couldn't register the OB as a historical landmark and keep it, like they did with the LA Coliseum. Because of this, the city and the Marlins can go to ****.

I come from out of town to get to games, and I mostly prefer heading to our road games. I do not like the place we're currently playing home games in. The OB was a very special place. A true disgrace City of Miami tore it down. Like having a big piece of our souls ripped out. BTW, my Dad went to first U game ever in OB, and I went to the last one. I was glad my Dad could not attend that last one w/me (he was very frail by then) and I told my buddy walking out of OB for last time, I'd fire our coach NOW. My first U-game, 1958. Saw many high school games there, North-South All Star games, Orange Blossom Classics, OB's, Fins (17-0-0), NFL Runner Up Bowls, SB's (incl Jets and Joe Willie)...... but BY FAR...... GREATEST GAME EVER IN THE GRAND OLD LADY.... CANES 31- NEB 30. LE'S GO CANES!

Advertisement
I don't think I will ever experience games like I did back in the OB standing in the student section the whole as the Canes beat down Houston, Syracuse, Washington, etc. The place felt like it was going to implode. That Thursday night against David Klingler was awesome.

Navy should've been strapped to the scoreboard as the final wrecking ball swung through.

Whole new level of respect for you Peruche.

On the night of November 10th, 2007 I talked Mrs. Peruche into taking home a piece of the "Ole Lady" to enjoy for the rest of our lives....... We sat in these seats for years and now they live again in our home office........ We collect a lot of art & antiques but these will always be my most prized piece.......

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

Advertisement
It was a great home field advantage....but there's nothing we can do about that now.

Too many short sighted, greedy idiots were clueless as to what we lost as Cane fans and what the city lost.

Marlin stadium will be vacant sooner than later and stand as a landmark to third world corruption.

The worst thing is that they built the *** pride monument on OB hallowed ground. Fvck the Marlins and the City of Meeamee.

Advertisement
Back