R.I.P.

Someone recently asked me what it was like watching a game there , the only way i could describe it was that it was like you fit 90k people into the best dive bar in the country . BTW navy kill yourself

Advertisement
Some of my best childhood memories are from games in the OB. Since I started going to games when I was like 7 or 8 in 1988-1989, I didn't see us lose in the OB until I was almost 14. Everytime I walked into the OB, I just assumed we were going to win. The way the OB rocked in Wide Right II, when Carlos Jones had the pick 6 against FSU in 1994, when we upset UCLA, the "catch" by Shockey, revenge against Washington, Willis's run after the screen pass, and Hester's opening kickoff return, I'm not sure how any 'Canes fan cannot love and miss that stadium. RIP OB.

OK, so one game just before FSU game kickoff I have to hit the men's room. My seats were between B & C sections where some fun die hards were, but not as nuts as the (real) west end zone crazies are. I walk in and the bathroom is a quarter inch deep in water from a running toilet. Place is SRO with guys standing 5-6 deep behind EVERY urinal. The stalls are full too. Gotta hold it or pizz yourself. Jokes everywhere, laughable what a ****hole humor. Right then a guy bursts past the line going out the door, wearing an FSU t-shirt, super desperately yelling "I gotta take a sh*t!, I gotta take a sh*t!....lemme through, I gotta.." but nobody falls for it and if serious who cares, he's a nole, right? So nano-sceond immediately somebody yells back, "yer gonna sh*t cher pants!, yer gonna sh*t cher pants!" in the same desperately mocking tone and, with nobody moving for him, he leaves. LMAO just remembering it. Just before half time some idiot wearing a **** jersey walks from east of my seats past us and crosses completely across the end zone. By the time the poor ******* made it to the other side he was hit twice by half full coke cups (another missed) drenched in all kinds of cussing and insults. What an awesome OB day!

Place sucked....Sun life sucks as well though for other reasons

Blasphemy.webp

Advertisement
What a dump...but it was our dump, and it was my favorite place in the world. I would have had my wedding on the 50 yard line if the wife would have allowed it. **** right she was alive - she was so angry about being euthanized that she gave UVA's tight ends superpowers.

Those who allowed and facilitated the dismantling of the Orange Bowl have a special place in **** reserved for them.

Still to today I wished that they would at least moved the old score board to Joe Robbie and hooked it up outside the facility somewhere..... Parking lot, outside a entrance who cares as long as it was there...... I'm sure it would of meant a lot to myself and others......

108.jpg

The few years that I had season tickets from 2002 - 2004 they were in the 3rd level on the south side next to the press boxes. When the place got rockin', or even if a strong wind came I swear the **** thng was gonna collapse. Then there was the water streaming down the walls of the bathrooms, that was just special.

Place sucked....Sun life sucks as well though for other reasons

WTF? The place is a shrine for all things related to 'Canes football. GTFOH!!!

Have a hard time hearing any Canes fan say the Orange bowl sucked. One of my biggest regrets was not making it down for a game.

Wait, so you never went to a game at the OB, but have a hard time hearing a Canes fan say it sucked? If you haven't been yourself, I don't really thing you can weigh in one way or the other.

Advertisement
A canes fan saying the OB sucks is like a cubs fan saying Wrigley sucks or a redsox fan saying fenway sucks. Yea the place was a little beat up towards the end, but the atmosphere of that place especially on thursday night games was unreal. I went to that last game against Virginia and had to hold back tears. I'll never forget the feeling of walking out of there after how we got humiliated. Miss that place

The OB, in the state it was when they tore it down, did suck. Now, which do I prefer between Dolphin Stadium and the OB; not a question, it would be the OB, b/c of the atmosphere (not to mention easier to get to from Miami). I feel a big part of the nostalgia for the OB is that we were good there for so long; obviously DS has nowhere near the atmosphere of the OB even if you were to play the same game there, but I bet it would be a lot better atmosphere if you had the early 2000 Canes playing there than our current teams (and conversely the atmosphere at the OB would not be great with our current team).

I look at it like the Redskins stadium situation. FedEx field is a horrible game day experience and RFK back in the day was one **** of a rocking stadium, but RFK is a complete dump now and was when the Redskins left. Again, like the Canes, the Redskins have not had much luck since moving to FedEx which adds to the hatred of the stadium and the fond memories of the previous one, but just b/c FedEx sucks, does not mean RFK didn't. I think the same holds true for the OB; a game at DS sucks more than at the OB, but the OB was on it's last legs.

Now if they could have somehow modernized the OB w/o taking away its character, that would have been the best option IMO. That or an on campus stadium (logistics of funding, Coral Gables, parking, and highway infrastructure aside), but that is all moot at this point.

The Orange Bowl wasn't just a stadium, it was a shrine. There was more life and energy in one OB 'Canes game than in a whole season of 'Canes and Dolphins combined in No Life Stadium. The sound of the stadium vibrating as tens of thousands of fans stomped on the metal rafters, the look of old-time football from the 'Canes glory days....nothing compared or probably ever will.

The Orange Bowl wasn't just a stadium, it was a shrine. There was more life and energy in one OB 'Canes game than in a whole season of 'Canes and Dolphins combined in No Life Stadium. The sound of the stadium vibrating as tens of thousands of fans stomped on the metal rafters, the look of old-time football from the 'Canes glory days....nothing compared or probably ever will.

Nothing like it.

Advertisement
The OB, in the state it was when they tore it down, did suck. Now, which do I prefer between Dolphin Stadium and the OB; not a question, it would be the OB, b/c of the atmosphere (not to mention easier to get to from Miami). I feel a big part of the nostalgia for the OB is that we were good there for so long; obviously DS has nowhere near the atmosphere of the OB even if you were to play the same game there, but I bet it would be a lot better atmosphere if you had the early 2000 Canes playing there than our current teams (and conversely the atmosphere at the OB would not be great with our current team).

I look at it like the Redskins stadium situation. FedEx field is a horrible game day experience and RFK back in the day was one **** of a rocking stadium, but RFK is a complete dump now and was when the Redskins left. Again, like the Canes, the Redskins have not had much luck since moving to FedEx which adds to the hatred of the stadium and the fond memories of the previous one, but just b/c FedEx sucks, does not mean RFK didn't. I think the same holds true for the OB; a game at DS sucks more than at the OB, but the OB was on it's last legs.

Now if they could have somehow modernized the OB w/o taking away its character, that would have been the best option IMO. That or an on campus stadium (logistics of funding, Coral Gables, parking, and highway infrastructure aside), but that is all moot at this point.

this

Advertisement
Place was falling apart, but it was still much better watching a football game there than no-life. The views were great as long as you weren't behind a pillar lol.

Advertisement
Back