Post Game Recap: USF

Advertisement
I don't think the run game really is all that bad because we're not really a running team.

We have the capability to run when necessary, but we don't live & die by the run, so it doesn't actually affect the overall outcome of the game.

Now, if we were a sh*tty B1G or SEC team whose life depended on having a strong run game, then it could be a bit of a concern. But when you actually have a great QB, it's not that important.

What a lot people fail to realize about those teams who are so run heavy, is that they HAVE to play that way because their QB's stink & their Offense in general is never really that good.

The teams who build everything around running & playing ball control do so out of necessity, because otherwise they would just have to Punt the ball on 1st down every series. If those teams could throw the ball & have a high octane Offense, they would.

Post of the day right here........We're averaging 50+ points/game and some people are literally upset about the running game. I love the way Miami is putting up points early and forcing teams to try to catch up..

One of those walk on types that get the respect of everybody.. Dude had 5 star recruits saying his name like he was a star player in interviews and he helped recruit our 5 stars from chicago area..

Dude must be charismatic AF or something.. he got the juice, definitely a team favorite..
Maybe it was just me..but I loved it when he went and got the TO chain and put it on! Lol!

If he did he would probably have a lot more wiggle...
2TypnkMy.gif

Advertisement
Their fans talked A LOT sh*t on Twitter/X all week leading up to the game & I really didn't understand why...

University of Tampa Bay is a really mid-G5 team, they're not even at the top of the totem pole of the G5's. But I guess because they played Bama close a couple times it had them thinking they were better than they were.

But we marched into Raymond James & ransacked the place, just like we did at BHG.

The Noles are lucky we don't get to travel up to Soak Campbell's this year for the asswhoopin' we're gonna hand-em next month.
Not sure if I wanna go traditional Goat

72ciCiqm.gif

Or dread Goat

BYYxyGIC.gif

Advertisement
The run game is fine. We're not going to have any 28 carries 170+ yd type games out of any of these backs, because that's not our style & that's not how we win.

People just have to come to terms with the fact, we're more ACC/Big XII, than we are B1G/SEC.
I hope that's not true, because the SEC/B1G teams are the ones winning championships.

Your breakdown was excellent as usual and I agree with 98% of it. But I want to address the bolded.

We're a balanced team. That doesn't mean we rush as much as we pass. Cam Ward is our best player and engine. We're 104th in rush percentage, so we're passing a ton.

But there's a reason USF put 8 in the box all night. There's a reason USF's defenders were dropping like flies. And there's a reason Golesh said we wore them down worse than Alabama. We have a physical and powerful running game.

The model isn't a one-dimensional team like Michigan. It's Alabama from 2018-2020. For a decade, Alabama dominated college football with a physical running game. Then they added three NFL QBs and a fleet of first round receivers. For that three-year run, they had the best passing offense in the nation. But they never lost the ability to physically demoralize their opponents with a powerful OL and big backs. That's the ideal for us.

As for Fletcher, we'll see how it plays out. I'd note that if we're focused on the passing game, he's our best option as a 230+ elite pass protector who can also catch the ball. He's not a special runner but I can see that part of his game developing like Brian Robinson.

ACC play will tell us how good our running game really is. We haven't shown much creativity thus far because the competition has been so bad. I'm curious to see if teams keep playing us the same way or take their chances with our RBs.

TrumpyCane wants to keep it 100

Last year with Cam Ward we beat GT by 40+

Would we even have lost a regular season game with Cam Ward last year? This team is vastly better than last year's. But Ward is that big of a difference maker.

Advertisement
As for Fletcher, we'll see how it plays out. I'd note that if we're focused on the passing game, he's our best option as a 230+ elite pass protector who can also catch the ball. He's not a special runner but I can see that part of his game developing like Brian Robinson.

ACC play will tell us how good our running game really is. We haven't shown much creativity thus far because the competition has been so bad. I'm curious to see if teams keep playing us the same way or take their chances with our RBs.

Fletcher's best days are still ahead of him IMO. He's the same size Gus was as a senior, a much better between-the-tackles runner, a better blocker and a better pass catcher. I do think Gus was more nimble, he was great bouncing to the outside and about the same on his cutbacks. But I also think people forget Fletcher was a true freshman last year, then couldn't work on footwork the whole offseason. Considering that, he's playing spectacularly well.

Other than Wheatley-Humphrey, whom I haven't seen play in college yet,. so can't comment on, all of our backs are **** good. We're truly 5-starter-deep right now. That's crazy.

Advertisement
Back