Post Game Recap: USF

Great write up!

Do we really think GT will be a problem?
On paper no.

But it's a road game & historically GTech on the road has always been an issue for us, so it's just something to monitor.

They're not that good of a team, but they're the exact kind of team that can wreck your season if you sleepwalk by them.

Advertisement
On paper no.

But it's a road game & historically GTech on the road has always been an issue for us, so it's just something to monitor.

They're not that good of a team, but they're the exact kind of team that can wreck your season if you sleepwalk by them.

TrumpyCane wants to keep it 100

Last year with Cam Ward we beat GT by 40+

Is this years safety duo better than last years?
Yes and it's not particularly close. 50% less flash and "talent" with 100%+ more production and assignment following.

Meesh is what we wanted/hoped/wished Kam could/would be. The way Kam played with us, there is a sizeable chance he would've given up a long TD last night trying to play hero ball and getting fooled.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff as always!

I’d just add, regardless of the how/why it happened, for the first time this season, this team got punched in the mouth and faced some adversity early on in this game. We were down on the scoreboard twice. I thought we responded really well and there were multiple learning opportunities to put in our pocket and carry with us the rest of the way as we enter ACC play.
The game never felt out of control at all.

USF had no answer for our Offense & it was just a matter of time before we figured out the sequencing of their Tempo & got stops.

The key to the game was Red Zone Defense. We kept them from scoring TD's & it broke them mentally.

Miami physically wears teams out amd they feel it for the following weeks.

Only TD was off a short field and Philly special. (If Jacolby secures the catch he is still running).

Our TEs are incredible. They are a matchup nightmare in passing game and a plus in run game.
If Arroyo just slows down and runs with more patience on the screen it’s a house call.

Shout out to Louis Reddick… ST26 was a lot of guy’s favorite player too.

Advertisement
Is this years safety duo better than last years?
Absolutely.

Primarily because we essentially have 2 Free Safeties, instead of having 1 FS & 1 LB masquerading as a Safety.

Jaden Harris has the versatility to play both Free & Strong/Rover, which allows for way more multiplicity & complexity in Guidreaux's coverages.

He's also significantly faster than both JW & Kam, so there's less busted coverages because he can cover more ground.

We also have way better & faster Corners than last year, so teams can't just Deep ball us to Death anymore.

View attachment 304209

“Right” and “wrong” are two very specific terms. There are no degrees of the words

But this guy couldn’t have been more wrong

The OL was great but what Cam was doing under pressure was almost unfathomable. No pulse. No panic. He plays with a borderline comical arrogance and leisurely nature

This play at the 3:38 mark perfectly encapsulates the bolded. I thought for sure on this fake reverse he was going to get sacked with a blindside hit but he brushes it off, moves around it like moving around the old lady in the middle of the aisle at the supermarket, and dumps it to Martinez for 36 yards.

On paper no.

Their QB and WR are solid... Been a long time since GT slang the ball like they have been...

QB: Haynes King ranks #6 among all QBs statistically: 102/138, 73.9%, 1274 yards, 9.2 avg, 164 rating

Haynes King

WR: Milk Rutherford (hometown MIAMI) is tops in the ACC: 29/398, 2tds, 13.7 avg

~ Announcers said he was the second quickest Yellow Jacket to get to 1000 yards receiving. While they aren't necessarily known for receivers, they have put out some studs in Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas... Definitely a player I'm keeping an eye on.

Mailk Rutherford

Nonetheless, we roll. Mario will have us UP for that game, especially after last year's fiasco.

On paper no.

One thing in our favor is losing to them last season. These kids will remember and walk in their with a job to do. The leadership on this team will look for blood.

Advertisement
Miami physically wears teams out amd they feel it for the following weeks.

Only TD was off a short field and Philly special. (If Jacolby secures the catch he is still running).

Our TEs are incredible. They are a matchup nightmare in passing game and a plus in run game.
If Arroyo just slows down and runs with more patience on the screen it’s a house call.

Shout out to Louis Reddick… ST26 was a lot of guy’s favorite player too.
He was in the Redskins (Commanders) scouting department when they drafted Sean Taylor & played a part in why Joe Gibbs ended up picking him #5.

He once said at a NFL career scouting conference, that when he was with the Skins for that draft, he absolutely stood on the table for Sean Taylor. He said he was the most talented player he had ever seen on film in his life & in every single Front office team meeting they had pre-draft any time they would discuss the possibility of any other player getting picked at that spot he would immediately speak up even if he had to interrupt someone & say no way... Sean Taylor is THEE pick.

@Memnon thanks for the write up. Agree with your points, especially calling out Fletcher. I love his heart, but aside from being big, I haven’t seen much special from him running the ball, especially the missing wiggle component. That said, I got another one for you - Pancake Honcho. He got some action in the 2nd Q I believe. I know he’s coming off a knee injury from last year, but man he’s been pretty disappointing. If he’s not in the starting five next year, he’s portaging out IMO. He was a five star.

Golfing Tiger Woods GIF by hamlet

Great writeup as usual. I always appreciate the analysis. It takes time to post like that and it shows.

People were freaking the **** out in the game thread. Way too many people that should've been at church instead of watching the game.

USF came out and played a combination of small ball and backyard football with insane tempo. It was their (and most outmatched teams) only way to try to take down the giants of CFB. It only works if everything goes their way and they create as much havoc in turnover and miscues as possible. That plays as a double-edged sword (insert the number of injuries, penalties, and the failed fake onside kick). The defense played a bend and don't break in the first half, got tired of bending and said "enough!" in the second half and completely shut **** down.

However, USF and poRsters alike didn't expect, one majorly important key fact.

The fact that, Killa Cam is actually motha ******' KILLA CAM.
Cucumbers and the other side of the pillow have his picture on their wall wishing they were as cool as this guy. This guy not only has insane talent, ability to extend plays, and top leadership abilities, he has the definition of intangibles. If anybody ever wants to know what "intangibles" are just show them Cam's tape and let them see it.
I couldn’t believe my eyes reading the gameday thread. People got some PTSD and I can’t blame them.

But it’s time for us to collectively move past it. We got the number 1 pick in the draft and a deep talented team. This ain’t 2017

Advertisement
I buy all of what you say. Still, gotta hope the best of Martinez as a runner is yet to go on display.

Also, I see from yesterday's grades, his pass blocking still leaves much to be desired. That could be another reason to limit his snaps, assuming others are performing appreciably better.
He made some really nice plays as a receiver too.

Post-game recap hitting as usual my boi. Did you see what happened on that miss to CJJ? I know it's odd that Dawson keeps trying to find ways to get him the ball. Looked like an underthrown 9-route?
Yeah it was just underthrown.

Cam put a little too much air under it.

But at least they're trying to get him the ball. It will account for more yardage if they decide to ever use him on a RB screen or a wheel route.

This play at the 3:38 mark perfectly encapsulates the bolded. I thought for sure on this fake reverse he was going to get sacked with a blindside hit but he brushes it off, moves around it like moving around the old lady in the middle of the aisle at the supermarket, and dumps it to Martinez for 36 yards.

Exactly! Our OL has given up some pressures this year but he doesn’t get sacked. It seems like he’s always in control and the whole “practice is harder than the games” thing feels like it’s 100% true for him

We need McCormick to work on getting Cam a few more seasons here

Advertisement
Lyle is going to over take Fletcher, it's just a question of when. Maybe it'll be next season, but he's clearly got more juice.
Martinez needs to be used more. I mean even as a pass catching option Martinez has looked nice. His biggest weakness has clearly been Pass blocking imo. Idk what the issue is, but our Run Blocking feels like it just creates a pile with no holes.

Chris Johnson has legit like 3 targets in 3 games, 2 were TDs, but could have been 3 TDs if Cam didn't massively underthrow him this game. He is a weapon and needs to get on the field at least like 10 times per game on offense. Not saying he NEEDS a **** load of touches right now, but he needs to get on the field and be used as a distraction sometimes too. I'd have Allen and Lyle as our #2/#3 back. I'd have Fletcher for short yardage and Redzone maybe. But even then I'm preferring Martinez. Basically my decision tree would go:

Big Every Down Back : Martinez > Lyle > Fletcher / Allen
Redzone Specific: Martinez / Fletcher > Allen > Lofton
Change of Pace Back : Allen / Lyle > Chris Johnson Jr.
2Minute back : Martinez > Any
Offensive Weapon : Chris Johnson Jr.
You can go back to my posts but Martinez needs to lose 15lbs. He can't be running at 230 + in look at his 2022 highlights. He seems to be a lot slimmer and has a lot more wiggle. I've also said that Fletcher will be a transfer portal back. A combination of no wiggle, vision and speed plus the backs behind him being much better will force him out. If the kid Mallory does come here, he'll be down in the depth chart. I think mario just wants to keep recruiting these backs that are big but have no speed. RB recruiting needs to be better.

@Memnon: in terms of how far this team goes, health notwithstanding, a bit concerned with the secondary, particularly the corners. Porter's ok, but can't imagine his rating is close to last year's. I see you mentioned Richard having his best game, but as I recall he was beaten deep but for an inaccurate pass. #29 has really been a revelation. And I think Dyoni Hill may be coming for more reps. IMO, we need Damari Brown to get healthy for this thing to really ramp up as we face more accurate passers and athletic wideouts.

And then at safety Jaden Harris, while making plays, particularly in the run game, gives some up too (that seems to go unmentioned). He's been a pleasant surprise in his first season getting serious reps, but at this point, do you view him from an overall standpoint as being much better than adequate? Not trying to be overly critical, just thinking in terms of the team's ceiling and areas that might be vulnerable against better competition. Obviously Mario has done a tremendous job stacking this roster with talent, and finally it's once again great to be a Miami Hurricane!
I think the issue with Porter this year is he's been playing out of position.

He's not really a Nickel Corner & has played 139 of his snaps at NCB, when he's played Right/Leff Corner for most of his career. Even at West VA, he played primarily at Boundary.

It's an adjustment in technique because playing Outside Corner, as opposed to Inside Corner is actually pretty different in terms of mechanics, footwork & what exactly you're watching for on a play by play basis.

USF was dragging him across the field when we were playing the majority of our snaps in Man. So they're presnap motioning Atkins to check the coverage & basically pull the Nickel into whichever area of the field they didn't want him in. DP2's problem was that he was giving Atkins at least 5-6yds of cushion on any given play & all USF was doing was running him on Drags, Crossers & Digs. They would motion him left & he would run the route to the opposite hash, then flip it & do the same thing going right, but run left.

It was real easy elementary stuff. But DP2 was playing him like an Outside Corner instead of Inside. All he needed to do was do a mental check of the routes & remember each play that they ran with him. Then, next time he lines up on either side of the hashes & goes in motion, come up to the line set his feet to whichever side of leverage he's on (meaning if he's left side go inside leverage, if he's right side go outside) & just bar off the route playing it like a Slant. Get in his hip pocket & force the QB to have to throw it up & behind his head to get it to him. He was playing a lot of trail technique as if he was worried that Atkins was gonna beat him on a Sluggo or something, but film study would tell you that's not what they do with him at all. He literally runs 3 routes a game & all they do is just switch sides of the hash that he runs them on.

As for Jaden Harris, I think he’s been a huge + at Rover. His Speed & instincts have giving us an added element we didn't have at Safety last year. His biggest plus has been in run support & as a Blitzer coming in on delayed stunts & has been successful twice this year getting to the pocket with 2 sacks.

In coverage, he does give up some chunk yardage plays, particularly in the middle of the field against Post/seam patterns. But that has more to do with simply reading his keys & adjusting based on the specific coverage being called, than it has to do with talent or ability.

The difference this year, is our Safety group doesn't have the physical limitations to cover certain Shells, so there's less gambling that takes place. Because they don't have to overcompensate for lack of being able to get from one spot to the next. There's way less Boom or Bust reads in the coverages, because they can actually run from point A to point B to point C.

Last year, it's if they don't guess right on point A, oh well we're sh*t outta luck on that play lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back