Post Game Recap: UNC

View as article
Also I’ve seen 6 total threads on TVD & Kam, but not one single thread on Jaden Davis...

What’s up with that?

YEP.

And …. Let me say something on TVD, and QB’s in general.

We have seen great Qb play from TVD on multiple occasions. He’s made NFL throws, come up with big plays, and shown moxie where he needed to. Every game? No? Every throw? Please.

BUT …. Great Qb play in games is kind of like an IQ test: you can’t fake it. If you score as a genius on an IQ test, and the next day you score as a moron. It doesn’t mean you’re a moron. Because morons never could score as a genius, no matter how lucky they get. The psychiatrists all will tell you, it’s all about the high score, stupid!

For a QB, it’s sort of the same. when you see things like Tvd throwing for a zillion TD’s against TAM, or hitting that 4 route to Jacoby where he stands in and gets roadgraded, but still hits the blade of grass he was aiming for, you can’t say he sucks. Bad qb’s don’t make those kinds of plays, ever. Much less on multiple occasions.

What it means is that you have a talented QB that isn’t consistently playing to a level he should. caleb williams single handily pick sixed his team to an L last night. Drake Maye looked like kirby freeman in the first half last night against an average secondary.

Neither of those guys suck. Neither does TVD.

Asking wether Tvd is a good or bad Qb, or if he has “it” at this point in his career, (whatever that means to message board fans), is asking the wrong question. The question we should be asking, if we think about this like a logical and knowledgeable coach would, is WHY does a guy with NFL arm skills and size, who works hard, holds himself to high standard, and often shows great play, have the sort of lapses and in game performance issues that he does?

You get to that answer, then you’re on to something meaningful.

Advertisement
This game was 100% decided by the turnover margin. You can't win on the road against a quality opponent with 3 crucial turnovers and forcing none. We had one impactful opportunity to force a TO and our bad luck prevented it.

If Parrish doesn't fumble the score is 24-14 at half. The fumbled snap on a good drive in the 3rd quarter likely took at least 3 off of the board and the TVD pick in our own territory lead to 7 for UNC. That is a 17 point point swing right there. The D got gassed and looked checked out after all of those things occurred.

Look across the country at other games and you will see the same result when this happens... Caleb Williams and USC for example, but there are many more.
Some of our (smart) fans forget that losing the turnover battle diminishes your chances of winning, especially when it was 4-0. Only losing by 10 (on the road vs a Top 15 team) with all of the miscues actually gives me hope.

Don’t agree with the few saying turnovers saved UNC. We were very lucky to play a team less disciplined than ourselves and gift us a billion penalty yards. They adjusted to our schemes second half and we got garbage time yards/points. They had our offense in a headlock before then

So should people be happy with losses?
I actually could accept the UNC loss. It is tough to go on the road in the ACC and win against a top-12 team. It isn't a moral victory thing either. UNC is a good team, better than ATM due to QB play. They very well may win the ACC this year and could be 12-0 heading into the ACCCG with Clemson, Duke, and NCSt as the tougher games left.

GT on the other hand was 100% on the coaches which sucked most of the momentum out of the team and fans. It also added to the beating of a good RB (Chaney) when our RB room was already a mash unit (Fletcher out, Allen dog house, Citizen ACL, now Parrish and Chaney beat up).

If the players haven't given up on the coaches, they need to triple down against Clemson. Clemson will force the run against our DL after last night's showing. I don't want a moral victory (we held Clemson to 300 total yards but had 4 TOs and 150 yards of penalties). WINNING is the only thing that gets the momentum going again.

Advertisement
If people want to take the stance of **** in Mario no matter what especially when they bring up that he should have never been hired, I'm saying we should be allowed to **** on them whenever we have success.

There is a difference between being happy with the state of things, and actually hoping Mario succeeds. Maybe this doesn't apply to you, but there are absolutely ******** here that love to trash Mario more than they hope he succeeds.

And the worst part is so many of y'all give zero thought to the ramifications of Mario failing here. Yall understand that if Mario fails, we can probably kiss all this commitment from the admin and boosters goodbye right

Talk about the loss, what we need to improve all day. Talk about the impact on recruiting and where we need to improve there. They're not above criticism. The problem is it isn't about wanting to see the program succeed for a lot of people here. Its wanting to be correct about Mario being ***. And there are clearly plenty of people here that for that category whether you wanna admit it or not.

So it was not only ok but encouraged to do it to Manny and other staffs, but not ok for Mario…

Why?

Manny ultimately deserved the heat and he’s gone.

We have absolutely unlocked the secret to figuring out how to lose a game in every way imaginable

Key turnovers? Got you fam
Key penalties? Yup

Got those covered?

Well how about just not kneeling on the ball and ending the game?
Don't forget 4th down and forevers, have those covered as well.

I actually could accept the UNC loss. It is tough to go on the road in the ACC and win against a top-12 team. It isn't a moral victory thing either. UNC is a good team, better than ATM due to QB play. They very well may win the ACC this year and could be 12-0 heading into the ACCCG with Clemson, Duke, and NCSt as the tougher games left.

GT on the other hand was 100% on the coaches which sucked most of the momentum out of the team and fans. It also added to the beating of a good RB (Chaney) when our RB room was already a mash unit (Fletcher out, Allen dog house, Citizen ACL, now Parrish and Chaney beat up).

If the players haven't given up on the coaches, they need to triple down against Clemson. Clemson will force the run against our DL after last night's showing. I don't want a moral victory (we held Clemson to 300 total yards but had 4 TOs and 150 yards of penalties). WINNING is the only thing that gets the momentum going again.

Keep in mind this follows up the epic failure of 2022…

Then people got back on board and we continue with the excuses… not getting OL, fear not bros we are getting DL whales, where’s dem whales… wait until December…

Now it’s we aren’t good… bro look, our offense and defense are great by the numbers… ok man, so now we can evaluate in real time, but not recruiting

Its laughable the spin zone here to protect Mario…

So it was not only ok but encouraged to do it to Manny and other staffs, but not ok for Mario…

Why?

Manny ultimately deserved the heat and he’s gone.
Manny had LITERALLY done absolutely nothing to ever show he should have got the job in the first place. Y'all love talking trash but Mario did very well at Oregon. Period. Diaz never did anything to deserve the job.

Manny was a LB coach that literally crippled our LB corp for like a decade. Diaz is fine as a DC. That is it. Diaz also didn't bring nearly this level of commitment that Mario is bringing. Did you read what I wrote. Let me know if you think the money is going to be flowing if Mario fails or not. Lol.

Advertisement

A Clemson victory covers ALOT of sins. No player will remember the GT game if that happens.

The momentum will be even greater than the A&M victory.

Oh, we can dream...

Don't forget 4th down and forevers, have those covered as well.
I think the toughest part for me last night was the 3rd and 18 and 3rd and 20 easy touchdowns

It’s the same **** we saw with Manny and it was just like having deja vu

Things happen in college football and it’s a wild game, it’s why we love it. But ffs it’s the same thing year after year

The game was loss because the Defense had no adjustments for UNC’s Offense.

We couldn’t stop Tez Walker or Omarion Hampton.

Those 2 players accounted for 329 yards & 4 TD’s combined for UNC.

Even if Miami doesn’t turn the ball over at all, what was our Defense going to do to stop those 2?

Keep in mind this follows up the epic failure of 2022…

Then people got back on board and we continue with the excuses… not getting OL, fear not bros we are getting DL whales, where’s dem whales… wait until December…

Now it’s we aren’t good… bro look, our offense and defense are great by the numbers… ok man, so now we can evaluate in real time, but not recruiting

Its laughable the spin zone here to protect Mario…

I was calling for 7-5 at the start. Mario isn't a great coach and new coordinators normally aren't firing at 100% year one.

Instead of throwing out all the good Mario (and Zo) has done, I'm willing to take losses like last night. Yes, there is a large number of good things they have done.

Get a win and build momentum!

Yes, the GT loss was unacceptable.

Advertisement

Even if Miami doesn’t turn the ball over at all, what was our Defense going to do to stop those 2?

As much as you dogged our CBs, DP2 has played very well. Do you think DP could have contained Tez more? Maybe have Brown on the taller guys.

Hampton was 100% on the front 7 which compounded our safety problems because our two guys had to look in the backfield the 2nd half vs playing the deep ball.

Some of our (smart) fans forget that losing the turnover battle diminishes your chances of winning, especially when it was 4-0. Only losing by 10 (on the road vs a Top 15 team) with all of the miscues actually gives me hope.
Regardless of hope or how the season goes from here, you simply can't turn it over multiple times and expect to win. We did the same thing against the Aggies, but we overcame it and created 2 of our own in the 2nd half, which led to 10 points and helped us pull away.

We just don't play clean enough winning football. Period.

But I think if we don't have those turnovers early and have at least a 10pt lead going into half, we were actually doing a good job against Maye for the most part. Tez deep we didn't have an answer for. But the answer really isn't too complicated. It involves our safeties not being idiots and getting a cb with any type of speed on the field. But their Run game is not something they were sticking to in the first half, and if they were losing by more after half or even they would likely still have been not sticking to. They were running well but if we stopped their first run on a drive they generally abandoned it or our Defense defended well imo.

Tez was the major failing on defense.

Advertisement
Manny had LITERALLY done absolutely nothing to ever show he should have got the job in the first place. Y'all love talking trash but Mario did very well at Oregon. Period. Diaz never did anything to deserve the job.

Manny was a LB coach that literally crippled our LB corp for like a decade. Diaz is fine as a DC. That is it. Diaz also didn't bring nearly this level of commitment that Mario is bringing. Did you read what I wrote. Let me know if you think the money is going to be flowing if Mario fails or not. Lol.

So give a first time head coach anti-support from the jump and lower expectations for an established head coach with more resources …

Got it…

Woke up refreshed and ready to rewatch this game...many things stood out in the rewatch but #1 for me was speed or lack thereof.
Our guys simply couldn't do what they were being tasked to do...Tez for example was too fast. It wasn't just there, it was in many places...but man it stood out on D.
Slowwwww *** players.

Miami showed up to play and was up at the half. They were battling until the bitter end. This loss falls more on lack of adjustments by the staff and turnovers than GT.
There is a good bit of truth in this statement. They adjusted at the half and we did not.

I was calling for 7-5 at the start. Mario isn't a great coach and new coordinators normally aren't firing at 100% year one.

Instead of throwing out all the good Mario (and Zo) has done, I'm willing to take losses like last night. Yes, there is a large number of good things they have done.

Get a win and build momentum!

Yes, the GT loss was unacceptable.

The good: money into the program; recruiting-ish

The bad: everything else

Advertisement
Back