OT: Dabo Swinney stays at Clemson for more ten years

Advertisement
The weirdest thing about his contract is the "Alabama Clause." If bama comes calling, the buyout for Dabo shrinks compared to any other college program. Clemson is basically giving Dabo an out to retire at Bama.

https://247sports.com/college/clems...ers-Alabama-contract-buyout-clause-131547475/
It's the reverse. Alabama has to pay more to buy him out.

Included in the verbiage of Swinney's new deal is an "enhanced" buyout clause — basically, an additional fee — should the four-time defending ACC champ jump ship for Alabama in the future, per Clemson247 analyst Anna Hickey.

Starts at the top.

Clemson wants to win championships. Miami wants to make it appear that they do.

Miami can't play the game the same way. NCAA is just waiting for an excuse to destroy Miami permanently. They are probably ****ed that Miami wasn't named in this latest round of FBI investigations. NCAA will never change, too many millionaires, billionaires, and politicians are benefiting.

Might be time to just admit reality and start playing ball with the NCAA instead of fighting them. BOT needs to have a "family meeting" with Emmert to find out who needs to get paid off to get him to start looking the other way.

Miami can't play the game the same way. NCAA is just waiting for an excuse to destroy Miami permanently. They are probably ****ed that Miami wasn't named in this latest round of FBI investigations. NCAA will never change, too many millionaires, billionaires, and politicians are benefiting.

Might be time to just admit reality and start playing ball with the NCAA instead of fighting them. BOT needs to have a "family meeting" with Emmert to find out who needs to get paid off to get him to start looking the other way.

Personally I would have the meeting, and then send him off the continental shelf, weighted with chains.

We'll get more respect from the next head of the NCAA that way.

Advertisement

Only if the BOT is wearing a wire for the FBI.

I say call their bluff. The NCAA is already dangling dangerously close to irrelevancy as it is. They will NEVER invoke the death penalty for a program again, so I wouldn't fear that too much.

Here's a question tho: If someone told you you could win 2 championships, but then a few years later you'd face severe sanctions would you take the deal? Ask any program who has had their championships or wins vacated if it was worth it. I don't think USC has a single regret about the Pete Carroll years.

I say call their bluff. The NCAA is already dangling dangerously close to irrelevancy as it is. They will NEVER invoke the death penalty for a program again, so I wouldn't fear that too much.

Here's a question tho: If someone told you you could win 2 championships, but then a few years later you'd face severe sanctions would you take the deal? Ask any program who has had their championships or wins vacated if it was worth it. I don't think USC has a single regret about the Pete Carroll years.

I'd take that deal. As if sanctions could be worse than the last decade and a half. The thing that bothers me most about the Shapiro stuff is how could we do so much cheating (allegedly), yet couldn't even win the ACC coastal division?

I'd take that deal. As if sanctions could be worse than the last decade and a half. The thing that bothers me most about the Shapiro stuff is how could we do so much cheating (allegedly), yet couldn't even win the ACC coastal division?
All facts. That's what happens when the booster is more concerned with being buddies with the players. There's little accountability.

With these good ol boys at Bama, and Jawja, and Clempson, etc.?

It's all business.

Advertisement
All facts. That's what happens when the booster is more concerned with being buddies with the players. There's little accountability.

It's all business.

Miami should have called the same mechanic to fix the Shapiro problem that Penn State and Alabama used to tune up their snitches.

The timeline of him going back to Baga simply doesn't work no matter how much people want to parrot the tired ol' "If Baga wants him they'll get him" shtick. Btw, if one makes that case based off of $ motivations alone then Texas and a handful of other schools can get him wayyyyy faster than Baga.

Dabo may portray the "aw shucks" bumpkin persona but he's not dumb enough to leave what he has in Clemson to be the guy that follows Sabag- even after it ends in Tuscaloosy for him the way it ended in State College and Tallahassee for Bowden and Paterno and it WILL end that way for Lil Nicky.

Now fast forward to Dabo MAYBE being the guy to replace the guy that was dumb enough to replace Sabag. How many years down the road are we from now? You're talking potentially 10 from now. Is Dabo STILL a blazing hot commodity then? Does the ACC and God forbid us stay stagnant that long to allow him THAT much continued success? I personally don't think so and certainly don't hope so.

Last edited:

It's all business.

Yes, they are fine with no one knowing their names. You can't be in the bag game to pal around with the players or have people know you're this big booster. Of course, we are in South Florida, where everyone not only wants to be the big man, they want the world to know they are the big man. Same goes for the media, we have sportswriters at all the local papers who are interested in making names for themselves and "exposing" anything they can, not protecting the local college football team. If a writer dared expose anything in Tuscaloosa, he'd probably get a bullet in his head.

Included in the verbiage of Swinney's new deal is an "enhanced" buyout clause — basically, an additional fee — should the four-time defending ACC champ jump ship for Alabama in the future, per Clemson247 analyst Anna Hickey.
Exactly

Advertisement
I know Dabo is a Bama alum but never understood why some thought he'd dump Clemson for Tuscaloosa. Even without this contract extension he was making a fortune and won 2 NCs. He was a lock for this contract and set up for a run of possibly more NCs.

Why would he ever leave Clemson. He’s going to win at least 1 more title with Lawrence giving him 3 cementing his god like status to that school.

As of today there is 0 competition for him in the ACC, especially with Willie at FSU. It’ll take us a few years to get near them roster wise and I doubt we’re even on his radar.

Bama will eventually fall as Saban nears the end but Dabo ain’t going there.

Every dog has his day... eventually his song and dance will tire out and they will be back in the middle of the pack... and that won't take 10 years either...

Or even more likely, there is a backlash over the amount of money that colleges are spending on athletics in an era of uncontrolled tuition elevation and student activity fee escalation. Imagine another 2008 style recession. You'll have students entering Clemson and taking on life-altering levels of debt. Meanwhile Dabo will be making nearly $10M per year off of the back of that debt. The same student will get to see exclusive, palatial zones for the players, but will not be allowed to enter.

There's going to be a political reaction to this, and when it happens college football will be significantly diminished.

Advertisement
I remember these same threads about UF and FSU, Clemson has show enough chinks in the armor to let you know they can be had.

I'm more concerned about Lawrence than I am about Dabo.

I know Dabo is a Bama alum but never understood why some thought he'd dump Clemson for Tuscaloosa. Even without this contract extension he was making a fortune and won 2 NCs. He was a lock for this contract and set up for a run of possibly more NCs.
He won't. Bama fans are idiots.

Still, even at the max, the buyout is pretty manageable. Just $6M for Baga to buy him out right now, and only $4.5M in two years. Considering we paid, what, $1.5M to $2M to buy out Manny from his three week stint at Temple, that really doesn't seem like an insurmountable obstacle for a program like Baga.

This was all about recruiting.

Advertisement
Back