OT: BREAKING Whiteside to Portland

Advertisement
From what I recall LeBron strung Riley along letting him think there was a chance he’d stay. If LeBron would have been straight up with his intentions he could have allowed Riley to do what you are suggesting.

He did. Remember Riley traded up to draft Napier because LeBron said he was his favorite player in that draft.

He doesn’t shoot that well in games

35% his one year at Kentucky. Has to get better for sure but he also shot 93% from FT so the kid can shoot. He shot 42% from 3 in conference so he was better as the year went along.

Advertisement
Spo has found a way to get the most out of just about every player who’s put on a Heat uniform, with this dude being the glaring exception.

He only played hard in spurts, milked his injuries, pouted constantly and was an overall knucklehead as his Instagram post today proved yet again.

Glad he’s gone.
C'mon bruh. Who exactly has spoelstra got these amazing results out of? Lebron, wade Bosh
I don't think it was so much giving Whiteside away, DSD....Whiteside had a breakout season in 2016...the Heat went 30 -11 over the last half of the season. That was the year that the TV revenues, hence the salary cap, jumped dramatically (that's how Golden St was able to get KD in under the salary cap)....

Riley had the new extra salary cap money, couldn't get Gordon Hayward in free agency, so signed those 30 - 11 guys, like JJ, Tyler Johnson, Whiteside, Dragic, Dion Waiters to contracts that they never lived up to...the team was mediocre in a very mediocre Eastern Conference....All of those contracts are albatrosses, especially Whiteside, who got a max contract, 4 years, 98 million...

Specifically, in Whiteside's case, he has become a dinosaur in today's NBA and it happened very rapidly. His outside shooting is anemic, so he can't stretch the floor. His can defend the paint, but can't defend the perimeter, where more and more 4s and 5s are camping out and nailing 3s and he can't make free throws, which makes him a liability in late game situations. The Heat went to a more up tempo offense a couple of years ago...and Whiteside didn't have and never developed the skill set required to play and defend against the more free flowing NBA game that the Warriors ushered in during the past couple of years (and yes, basketball scholars, I am aware of Phoenix's 7 seconds or less offenses)....

Riley, unlike some of our other local professional sports teams owners and executives...Wants to win. Wants to win badly. Wish all of our local sports team owners and executives wanted to win as desperately as Pat Riley.
I agree he wants to and I agree with Hassan's game being outdated. However hes still a double double guy. Not saying that's worth his salary but his salary isnt his fault. The heat's game while being up tempo doesnt give them any sort of results that make you say we got something here. They suck at any speed. I understand the addition by subtraction theme but that's what every year is. Now part of addition is over paying jimmy? That's a vicious cycle. What exactly is he the answer too? You still need alot of new pieces to factor into that. Otherwise it's more lunacy. Just my opinion. Seems it's the same **** year after year. The team is good enough to be a low seed than get knocked out early. What real fan wants that. You should either wanna see ur team win big or try it's best to improve and get to that. Just dont see how this philosophy will ever work these days.

C'mon bruh. Who exactly has spoelstra got these amazing results out of? Lebron, wade Bosh

I agree he wants to and I agree with Hassan's game being outdated. However hes still a double double guy. Not saying that's worth his salary but his salary isnt his fault. The heat's game while being up tempo doesnt give them any sort of results that make you say we got something here. They suck at any speed. I understand the addition by subtraction theme but that's what every year is. Now part of addition is over paying jimmy? That's a vicious cycle. What exactly is he the answer too? You still need alot of new pieces to factor into that. Otherwise it's more lunacy. Just my opinion. Seems it's the same **** year after year. The team is good enough to be a low seed than get knocked out early. What real fan wants that. You should either wanna see ur team win big or try it's best to improve and get to that. Just dont see how this philosophy will ever work these days.
I agree. Jimmy Butler doesn't have the skill set to be the best player on a championship level team and this team has the look of another mediocre low playoff seed team. I know Butler is a Heat Culture player, but I think giving him a max salary has all the earmarks of a mistake.

However, Riley put together 3 disparate sets of great teams...the Mourning/Hardaway teams....The Wade/Shaq teams...and the LeBron/Wade/Bosh teams....For only his past success for well over a decade...I am willing to give Riley the benefit of the doubt....Hoping he has one more rabbit to pull out of his hat before he retires....

Just like when lebron left to go back to the Cavs a sign and trade wasn’t explored or nothing either
When Lebron came to Miami he and bosh took less money. Under cap rulesMiami could only offer 4 year deals. The sign and trade let them sign 5 year deals to lessen the blow of taking less$$$. When he returned to Cleveland it was for a max contract so there was no reason (for lebron) to push for a sign and trade. He fooked the Heat

You guys saw the update on this?
Goran is staying, we keep Derrick Jones, still get Meyers Leonard. Mo Harkless goes to the clippers.
From what I understood lol.

Advertisement
I agree Butler alone is not the answer but if not this year,next year we put more pieces in place.
I'm just glad we are doing something, I could not go another year of best case scenario playing 500 ball...if that.

The team is immediately better. Butler gives them a legit all star who can take those big shots in close games. They were still relying on a final year Dwyane Wade to do that last year. The log jam at the 4 and 5 positions has been cleared up with a nice balance of KO, Bam, and James Johnson to get most of the minutes. Justice should be the point guard but they still have Goran who's a borderline allstar talent. Herro is a legit scorer, not just a one trick, spot up shooter. He won't be relied on to do everything. It's not a championship team but it's a solid contender and an upgrade over what we've had for the last 3 years. These are the moves you have to make if you're trying to build a contender. Riding out all these bad contracts while your team goes nowhere isn't the answer. Neither is tanking. Look at the Knicks. At least they've made the team relevant again and more attractive to possible future free agents.

35% his one year at Kentucky. Has to get better for sure but he also shot 93% from FT so the kid can shoot. He shot 42% from 3 in conference so he was better as the year went along.
35% isn't terrible. In fact it's decent. For a freshman too. He adds 5% to that he's elite.

You guys saw the update on this?
Goran is staying, we keep Derrick Jones, still get Meyers Leonard. Mo Harkless goes to the clippers.
From what I understood lol.
They're still going to try to move Goran. That won;t shake out til Kawhi figures out where he's going.

Advertisement
I went to every game at Rupp. Have season tickets. He was really streaky. I don't think he is as good a shooter as advertised. Don't get me wrong I think he will be an alright bench player but he isn't going to be much more IMO. I may be wrong but I just don't see it

I went to every game at Rupp. Have season tickets. He was really streaky. I don't think he is as good a shooter as advertised. Don't get me wrong I think he will be an alright bench player but he isn't going to be much more IMO. I may be wrong but I just don't see it
Most great shooters are streaky. Watching him in summer league right now. He sure is aggressive. We'll see.

Advertisement
But hes the one that gave him that contract then immediately went away from what made him so appealing to us. He gives away money he gives away picks and none of it has logic. Whether its waiters for this team or johnson worse yet tyler johnson it goes on and on like a horrible cycle. Attach all the stupid **** with giving away first round picks and I just dont get how can this team ever get any better. Tons of recycled semi washed crap. Atleast try to hit on picks to get that youth and someone potentially who's a difference maker at a salary that works for us.
I have criticized Riley bigly for his handling of Whiteside, the Johnson Bros, and Waiters. We don't disagree.

Spo has found a way to get the most out of just about every player who’s put on a Heat uniform, with this dude being the glaring exception.

He only played hard in spurts, milked his injuries, pouted constantly and was an overall knucklehead as his Instagram post today proved yet again.

Glad he’s gone.

Crazy talk, man. Spo is problematic for many reasons.

Watching him in summer league right now. He sure is aggressive. We'll see.

Watched Him too...good overall shooter, but He really excels at shooting those transition 3's.

Once He rounds out the rest of His offensive game He's gonna be alright, needs to really work on His defense though.

Reminds me of Mike Miller.

Advertisement
Back