OT: BREAKING Whiteside to Portland

Advertisement
I think this is related to the Jimmy Butler trade. Heat needed to move money off the cap to make it work. Since nobody would take Dragic, the next trade piece was Whiteside. Being a Sixers fan, this is at least what I'm reading from the Philly message boards.

His last few drafts have been fine. Landed Winslow and Richardson in the same draft. Bam after them and now hopefully this Herro kid is the goods. Heat definitely needed a shooter so hopefully this kid is it. Like I said in the Butler thread tho, I don't see Riley tanking again after having the worst record only to get the 2nd pick and landing Beasley who was a diaster.
I think Herro is going to disappoint you guys

So the answer Is simply give the man away? Why do we always just concede **** and get nothing in return. I feel pat has turned someone who teams just feel its take it or leave it and hes always gonna take it.

Spo has found a way to get the most out of just about every player who’s put on a Heat uniform, with this dude being the glaring exception.

He only played hard in spurts, milked his injuries, pouted constantly and was an overall knucklehead as his Instagram post today proved yet again.

Glad he’s gone.

Riley got someone to take Whiteside's contract without having to take back a terrible contract in return. I hindsight, he never should have given a center a big contract anyway but at least he's not doubling down on his mistake. Hasaan has talent but big guys who can't shoot, sulk and cry like 5 year olds and only chase stats aren't worth much in the 2019 NBA. As soon as that check cleared, he stopped giving a crap about being a good basketball player.

Advertisement
Yes, Whiteside's contract is in it's final year but so are the 2 players (Harkless & Leonard) we're getting in return. Two players, who may I add are younger and are a better fit for the Heat.

100%. But the cap benefit for next year is really a wash. We also have bird rights on both of the guys we picked up, in case we do want to re-sign them beyond this season.

Miami can also move Harkless and/or Leonard and their expiring contracts a lot easier than it would have been to move Whiteside. They just can't trade both of them in one deal per salary cap rules.

Ya'll (if you're a Heat fan) just executed addition by subtraction. Plus: Mo Harkless is 26 years old and halfway decent bench role guy who defends multiple positions. Leonard is also a halfway decent bench piece who does like 15/10 per 36 minutes while shooting from the outside.

Basically, you just traded a sulking kid who had no idea how to play a role for two relatively young guys who know their roles on an NBA team and execute with relative efficiency. This is a good trade for the Heat in multiple ways. Especially financially.

Yep and it's not a bad spot for Hassan, too. Gives him a chance to go to a team where he (in theory) would know his role a lot clearer than the messy Spo roles.

Advertisement
So the answer Is simply give the man away? Why do we always just concede **** and get nothing in return. I feel pat has turned someone who teams just feel its take it or leave it and hes always gonna take it.
I don't think it was so much giving Whiteside away, DSD....Whiteside had a breakout season in 2016...the Heat went 30 -11 over the last half of the season. That was the year that the TV revenues, hence the salary cap, jumped dramatically (that's how Golden St was able to get KD in under the salary cap)....

Riley had the new extra salary cap money, couldn't get Gordon Hayward in free agency, so signed those 30 - 11 guys, like JJ, Tyler Johnson, Whiteside, Dragic, Dion Waiters to contracts that they never lived up to...the team was mediocre in a very mediocre Eastern Conference....All of those contracts are albatrosses, especially Whiteside, who got a max contract, 4 years, 98 million...

Specifically, in Whiteside's case, he has become a dinosaur in today's NBA and it happened very rapidly. His outside shooting is anemic, so he can't stretch the floor. His can defend the paint, but can't defend the perimeter, where more and more 4s and 5s are camping out and nailing 3s and he can't make free throws, which makes him a liability in late game situations. The Heat went to a more up tempo offense a couple of years ago...and Whiteside didn't have and never developed the skill set required to play and defend against the more free flowing NBA game that the Warriors ushered in during the past couple of years (and yes, basketball scholars, I am aware of Phoenix's 7 seconds or less offenses)....

Riley, unlike some of our other local professional sports teams owners and executives...Wants to win. Wants to win badly. Wish all of our local sports team owners and executives wanted to win as desperately as Pat Riley.

I agree about Riley, I don’t think he’s been effective for years, but just getting rid of this guy’s contract and getting a couple of mid-level role players, is a net plus for me. Could we have gotten more? Possibly. But just clearing things up financially at least gives the heat more options. But let’s see how they use it.

Advertisement
Hey Brow, I'm afraid I've gots some bad newssss.....

Screenshot_20190701-171015_Twitter.jpg

Advertisement
Just like when lebron left to go back to the Cavs a sign and trade wasn’t explored or nothing either

From what I recall LeBron strung Riley along letting him think there was a chance he’d stay. If LeBron would have been straight up with his intentions he could have allowed Riley to do what you are suggesting.

Advertisement
Back