OT: Best high school player you ever saw in person?

Basketball- Rod Brookin (Steelton-Highspire HS, PA) 1983-86

Football- Micah Parsons (Harrisburg HS,PA) 2017

Advertisement
I can tell you the best I played against: Lester Williams and Freddie Miles.

I've heard stories about Freddie Miles. Me & Ty's moms went to Springs with him. The older guys from my neighborhood swear he's greatest ever. Willis is also from the area and they used to say he couldn't hold Miles jockstrap...

My wife's uncle played with Freddie Miles, says the same thing.

Also Brent Schaeffer. I think he may have had some off field issues, but if was playing nowadays, he would have been a consensus top 10 recruit.

played against schaeffer in high school. he was at deerfield before dillard

I think it was RALPH Ortega, the first Cuban born player in the League IIRC.

Yeah, my mistake. I realized it this afternoon and came back to this thread to amend.

I'm not surprised two posters had already done so. Lots of sharp guys here regarding local high school history.

Advertisement

I've heard stories about Freddie Miles. Me & Ty's moms went to Springs with him. The older guys from my neighborhood swear he's greatest ever. Willis is also from the area and they used to say he couldn't hold Miles jockstrap...

Played against Miles in '78 - 12 seconds left in the half he ripped off an 80 yard run for a score
not saying he was fast but clock showed :04 seconds left when he scored. That Springs team was loaded Lomas Brown, Jimmy Austin, and Jack Fernandez.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Played against Miles in '78 - 12 seconds left in the half he ripped off an 80 yard run for a score
not saying he was fast but clock showed :04 seconds left when he scored. That Springs team was loaded Lomas Brown, Jimmy Austin, and Jack Fernandez.

and they are right

Drug addiction ruined his life. Shame.

Advertisement
I've been in North Carolina and Virginia most of my adult life (military/supporting the military). I watched Marion Williams live. I was never that impressed but he turned out to be pretty good for a 10 yr stretch.

Demar Dorsey
Spring of ‘10 I was up in Tallahassee, and one day I was at Adams Pointe Apartments where a lot of college students stay. I walk outside and see a bunch of dudes racing. So I walk over to get a look, and Demar Dorsey (on his spring break) is racing a bunch of guys from Famu football team. There were some fsu players their too. They were betting 1k a race and Dorsey ran like 5 times while I was watching and won every single race....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Advertisement

Drug addiction ruined his life. Shame.

actually saw him many years ago, when i was coming out of the miami springs city hall. he was homeless. a wreck. so sad because he was the GOAT. think a more compact version of marcus dupree. just had the physical skills and football instincts that made him one of a kind.

Last edited:
The Mad Stork. You have to be old to have seen him but dang he was wrecking crew. You had to run at him, which was a bad option, because you just could not run away from him. If young today, I wonder if he would be TE. Back in his day TEs were mostly blockers.

You may be the only one to recognize my nominee.

Larry Rentz Gables 1965

Advertisement
Back