OT: Best high school player you ever saw in person?

Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;XVoHViUk-oI]https://youtu.be/XVoHViUk-oI[/video]

I had the opportunity to coach the best player I ever saw in person.

I have never seen someone make things look so effortless.

It is a shame they didn't invite him to the combine, but he will make plays in the league.

Advertisement
As a total all the tools player , smart 4.00 , super strong ,fast and everything else U can think of and he played at the U strongest arm of all the QB's top (5) fastest players on team, ended up as DB corner / safety then NFL Cleveland Browns.

Bad knee injury SAD

JAMIE BOONE total package very impressive just never got the press.

GOCANES

I watched Noel Devine live once in person in high school. Best I've ever seen live. The kid just made everyone miss...and he was so powerful in compared to other high school kids as well. Kid was a high school freak.

Advertisement
Jammi German. Never lived up to the hype as USA today defensive POY at the U but he was dominant in high school

I would have to say Gerald Tinker. There's a vast gap between football fast and Olympic gold medal fast. Tinker was the latter category and it really showed up on the field for Coral Gables. Sometimes he wouldn't even pick the ideal path but he was so ridiculously fast he cold out run his mistakes. One time he caught a sideline pass and ran almost directly across the field to the opposing sideline, and then reversed course and did the same thing in the opposite direction. It was like he was toying with defenders. He eventually straightened out and scored a touchdown on that play. I remember all the laughter in the stands, since it seemed so unfair.

My dad took me to see many Coral Gables games during that late '60s/early '70s heyday under Nick Kotys. It was like a mini college team. Plus there was surreal pageantry especially for the annual Thanksgiving Day game at Central Stadium against Southwest. I feel sorry for younger guys who never got to experience anything remotely resembling that atmosphere for a high school game.

There were other great players like Neal Colzie and Frank Ortega on those teams. Even at that age I knew I was witnessing something special. But Tinker stands out in memory due to the raw speed.

Dad always insisted he took me to see a game with Ted Hendricks as a high school player for Hialeah. But I was too young to remember it.

I remember Tinker. I was two years behind him at Gables. He was exciting to watch. He would turn a 5 yard loss into a 65 yard TD.

Besides Colzie and Ortega, Glenn Cameron was on that Gables team. Most players from the same high school team to play in the College All Stars vs Pros that use to be held every year in Chicago.

Advertisement
I would have to say Gerald Tinker. There's a vast gap between football fast and Olympic gold medal fast. Tinker was the latter category and it really showed up on the field for Coral Gables. Sometimes he wouldn't even pick the ideal path but he was so ridiculously fast he cold out run his mistakes. One time he caught a sideline pass and ran almost directly across the field to the opposing sideline, and then reversed course and did the same thing in the opposite direction. It was like he was toying with defenders. He eventually straightened out and scored a touchdown on that play. I remember all the laughter in the stands, since it seemed so unfair.

My dad took me to see many Coral Gables games during that late '60s/early '70s heyday under Nick Kotys. It was like a mini college team. Plus there was surreal pageantry especially for the annual Thanksgiving Day game at Central Stadium against Southwest. I feel sorry for younger guys who never got to experience anything remotely resembling that atmosphere for a high school game.

There were other great players like Neal Colzie and Frank Ortega on those teams. Even at that age I knew I was witnessing something special. But Tinker stands out in memory due to the raw speed.

Dad always insisted he took me to see a game with Ted Hendricks as a high school player for Hialeah. But I was too young to remember it.

I remember Tinker. I was two years behind him at Gables. He was exciting to watch. He would turn a 5 yard loss into a 65 yard TD.

Besides Colzie and Ortega, Glenn Cameron was on that Gables team. Most players from the same high school team to play in the College All Stars vs Pros that use to be held every year in Chicago.

I think it was RALPH Ortega, the first Cuban born player in the League IIRC.

For Retro, Doug Flutie (sorry)and for current AJ Dillon

We don't have a lot up here in Massachusetts..............

Advertisement

I think it was RALPH Ortega, the first Cuban born player in the League IIRC.

It is Ralph Ortega. He's Buck's dad, who played at the U, even though Ralph was a Gator along with Cameron. Neal Colzie went to Ohio State.

I was living Austin the year Cedric Benson’s team went to the Texas High School championship game. I attended the game just to see what big time Texas high school ball looked like. Cedric was on another level. He ran for over 240 yards and carried his team to the championship over Austin Westlake. That was the most impressive HS performance I have ever seen.

Best HS players I saw in person, strictly Dade players...
Marvin Jones, MNW
Troy Davis, Ridge
Mitch Green, Springs
Danyell Ferguson, Columbus
Frank Gore, Gables
John Browning, Jackson

Advertisement
Back