OF Max Galvin transfers to Miami

It's interesting you don't name the Wichita State kid who I think has clearly been our best pickup.

You don't like him?
Everyone I have talked to and all these analytical sites seem to agree that the kid from Liberty was our best pickup so far. Top 35ish player in the portal.

I think he has room for a jump due to his size and athleticism. He was very highly rated coming out of HS as well. Top 250 overall and 2nd best position player in South Carolina. 6'6 225 and has ran a 6.6 60 and has thrown 95 on the mound. 4 above average tools is a rare find.

Galvin, Marsh, and the kid from Wichita State are high floor takes. Not really ready to comment on the arms. I think the 2 relievers are solid (Hugus and Smith) and then the Ga State and Winthrop kids are going to have different roles than their previous programs, likely long-relief or midweek starter, so hard to judge. Both show plus stuff. The D2 kid is very meh but multiple scouts have told me that he will have the highest rated 20-80 scale pitch on our entire team next year with a 65-70 rated cutter. Brian Walters' fastball would be the only offering contending for that (if he returns)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is this the type of player that can leadoff for us? I know he’s been hitting in 3 hole in summer but seems like good speed and hitting high average.

Advertisement
1. Max Galvin
2.Indiana St. SS
3.Cuvet
4.Wichita State guy…..…...
7. Dorian

Yes, we need quality starters
I’d do the Tennessee style lineup and get my 2 best hitters at the top and more ABs.

1. SS leading off if he comes
2. Cuvet
3. Galvin or Hudson (best lefty to break up righties)
4. Williams
5. Galvin/Hudson whoever isn’t 3rd
6. Dorian (if he isn’t drafted)
7. RHH Catcher
8. Marsh
9. Villegas

Actually a pretty deep lineup with an all Big10 .300 hitter hitting 8th. Dependent on the SS coming and signing a decent catcher.

@JayCane20 im with you. The days of a fast guy in fhe lead off spot are overrated. They lead off 1 time per game typically.

Just make sure you don’t have a bunch of guys with refrigerators on their backs in front of a speed guy. Find guys in the 7/8/9 spots who get on…hits, HBP, walks, hustle that forces errors, etc. then you have guys like Cuvet getting more AB’s and guys on a lot of times.

Check out Misericordia the D3 champ. They have ok talent for D3 but their coach gets 2 really good arms, a lot of bulldogs, throw a ton of strikes, makes plays. Then get 1-2 kids who can hit some homeruns and then the rest of the kids stand on the plate and dare you to throw inside..they don’t move. Then when you work away they work the middle of the field. Most of their singles turn into 2B’s because they steal and move so much.

https://athletics.misericordia.edu/sports/baseball/stats/2024

I love the Tennessee style lineup. Just not sure we have anyone else besides Cuvet, which is why I think Galvin is a solid choice to leadoff. It also helps when Tennessee had Amick, Dreiling, Tears, etc.

Advertisement
@JayCane20 im with you. The days of a fast guy in fhe lead off spot are overrated. They lead off 1 time per game typically.

Just make sure you don’t have a bunch of guys with refrigerators on their backs in front of a speed guy. Find guys in the 7/8/9 spots who get on…hits, HBP, walks, hustle that forces errors, etc. then you have guys like Cuvet getting more AB’s and guys on a lot of times.

Check out Misericordia the D3 champ. They have ok talent for D3 but their coach gets 2 really good arms, a lot of bulldogs, throw a ton of strikes, makes plays. Then get 1-2 kids who can hit some homeruns and then the rest of the kids stand on the plate and dare you to throw inside..they don’t move. Then when you work away they work the middle of the field. Most of their singles turn into 2B’s because they steal and move so much.

The pride of Dallas, PA...

Those stolen base numbers are wild lol

Reminds me of when I coached a local 12u travel team a few summers ago after their existing HC relocated for a job. We had no pop in the lineup whatsoever and I found that out after the first weekend.. we went 1-4 and could basically just hit singles top to bottom and had a couple kids that could push it to the gap for a double. Lots of strike throwers but no ace pitcher. Spent the next week at practice clocking them home to first, home to 2nd, and lead off first to steal 2nd and then working with them on expanding their leads how far they could actually get out there without getting picked off.

Then, how to be aggressive and take extra bases and repped it simulating taking 2nd on a single and going 1st to third to show them how easy it actually was if they're not timid on the bases. Timed every catchers pop time in-game and then we just ran teams off the field the rest of the summer. I think they were 7-10 in 4 tournaments before I took them over and then after our 1-4 weekend we went 20-4 the rest of the way in 5 tournaments winning 2 of them and placing 2nd in the other 3. Jumped from a AA classification to playing in the Major classification state championship game. Lost to the team who had twin brothers. 1 pitched.. lefty that was elite at controlling the run game and 1 was a catcher that was a stud. Both were starters this year as freshman on their HS team.

I was always on teams that just hit and were aggressive and never had to rely on the running game. It was fun to do that and win with style I hadn't really been a part of before.

I love the Tennessee style lineup. Just not sure we have anyone else besides Cuvet, which is why I think Galvin is a solid choice to leadoff. It also helps when Tennessee had Amick, Dreiling, Tears, etc.
I'd say Williams isn't far off of Amick at the plate. High hopes for Hudson as well.

And just to be clear I’m not saying we should play like Misericordia…that doesn’t work as well as the talent get better.

But what is JD’s brand of baseball going to be? Because put the shift on every hitter on defense and pray for 2-3 three run homeruns?

Advertisement
And just to be clear I’m not saying we should play like Misericordia…that doesn’t work as well as the talent get better.

But what is JD’s brand of baseball going to be? Because put the shift on every hitter on defense and pray for 2-3 three run homeruns?
Oh ya that’s definitely not our brand in 2025. Looks like we’re gonna be a team that swings the sticks and leverage a deep bullpen.

Trying to duplicate Clemson and Tennessee. We just don’t have the starting pitching right now that they do. That’s the widest gap.

Flashing the "U" rounding 2nd base - I like it. Good find.

That swing and a metal bat will play at the Light.
Great pickup but the guy is from South Florida and played at Miami Dade. We didn’t exactly make an extensive search to find him.

Great pickup but the guy is from South Florida and played at Miami Dade. We didn’t exactly make an extensive search to find him.
I think its because with NIL/portal era, the easier first layer of players to get are soFla guys that would want to come home and play in front of family.

Advertisement
I think its because with NIL/portal era, the easier first layer of players to get are soFla guys that would want to come home and play in front of family.
One would think this is the case...we have so much to offer and the message is not being delivered.

Advertisement
Back