OF Max Galvin transfers to Miami

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Miami landed another left-handed bat in the Portal with transfer OF Max Galvin. The Texas native, who graduated from IMG, spent his first two years at Miami Dade College and posted a .400/.469/.591 slash line in 2023.

Galvin spent the past season at Oklahoma State, where he missed most of the season and ultimately redshirted to preserve his eligibility. He is currently playing for the Wausau Woodchucks of the Northwoods League, where he leads the team in hits...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Miami landed another left-handed bat in the Portal with transfer OF Max Galvin. The Texas native, who graduated from IMG, spent his first two years at Miami Dade College and posted a .400/.469/.591 slash line in 2023.

Galvin spent the past season at Oklahoma State, where he missed most of the season and ultimately redshirted to preserve his eligibility. He is currently playing for the Wausau Woodchucks of the Northwoods League, where he leads the team in hits (31), doubles (7) and homers (3) with a .361/.394/.547 slash line.

Galvin is Miami’s 8th addition thus far in the Portal, joining RHP Griffin Hugus, LHP Rob Evans, OF Todd Hudson, OF/DH Derek Williams, OF Bobby Marsh, RHP Reese Lumpkin and RHP Carson Fischer.

This is what Oklahoma state gets for talking ****!

Advertisement
Now THIS is a pick up. Very commanding stance, gets to the hitting zone quickly, and drives through the zone Aggressively. He is a double digit homerun guy when given a full season. This is the kind of bat you need around Cuvet.

Really like the pickup, but why are we taking him this year after a year off at Oklahoma State when we could have gone after him last year when he was in our backyard at Miami Dade college?

The only pickup this cycle where I can definitively say “I think we just got better”

Pretty sad considering were likely onto our final spots but let’s hope this is a nice little run of plus acquisitions to finalize the roster

Advertisement
He just had a wasted season at Oklahoma State, where he didn't play at all. Makes no sense why he wasn't on our radar last year when he was in our backyard.
Who is to say he wasn’t on our radar? He didn’t play last year and we had some outfielders. He is on our team now lol.

Really like the pickup, but why are we taking him this year after a year off at Oklahoma State when we could have gone after him last year when he was in our backyard at Miami Dade college?

"A year off at Oklahoma State"? He was injured.

As for "could have gone after him last year", people have been talking about how JD was late to the Portal last year due to DiMare resigning so late, the coaching targets who told us "no", the lateness of Arteaga's hire, and his need to build a staff. This isn't some big mystery.

Again, this is no defense of Arteaga. I was not happy with the hire. But let's try to be honest too, he wasn't dealt a very good hand last year even if he was the second coming of Ron Fraser. Which he is not.

The only pickup this cycle where I can definitively say “I think we just got better”

Pretty sad considering were likely onto our final spots but let’s hope this is a nice little run of plus acquisitions to finalize the roster
To be honest brother I don't know how you have that take. Galvin hasn't seen d1 pitching in a live game. I did not like the take until i dug into his numbers this offseason in the northwood league. He is crushing it. Only stat that i don't like is his strikeout rate. It's around 20%

Advertisement
To be honest brother I don't know how you have that take. Galvin hasn't seen d1 pitching in a live game. I did not like the take until i dug into his numbers this offseason in the northwood league. He is crushing it. Only stat that i don't like is his strikeout rate. It's around 20%
It’s pretty simple for me, He’s the only pickup where I can easily say “he’s a acc caliber player”

Maybe the penn state kid too.

I'm not overly worried about the strike out numbers with some of the transfers because that's just the reality of college baseball for 99% of hitters. For those guys I look at average and on base percentage, do they have a good average do they have a good on base if they have that despite the strike outs I'm not too worried.

"A year off at Oklahoma State"? He was injured.

As for "could have gone after him last year", people have been talking about how JD was late to the Portal last year due to DiMare resigning so late, the coaching targets who told us "no", the lateness of Arteaga's hire, and his need to build a staff. This isn't some big mystery.

Again, this is no defense of Arteaga. I was not happy with the hire. But let's try to be honest too, he wasn't dealt a very good hand last year even if he was the second coming of Ron Fraser. Which he is not.

He was injured but it’s inferred that he didn’t come back to play in order to preserve eligibility and a redshirt. But anyways.

J.D. had enough time to bring Costello (a Westminster Christian kid) in last year. Playing his godson at 2B over the best pro prospect on the team last year, bringing in a Westminster Christian kid the same alma mater that a lot of our influential donors went to. Seems to be a theme here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's interesting you don't name the Wichita State kid who I think has clearly been our best pickup.

You don't like him?
I think Williams from Wichita State will be good, I mean yeah all the hitters we have brought in have more strikeouts than walks but so do 99% of hitters in college baseball. I think on base percentage is a better indicator of how good a guy is.

We had Villegas, Long (who both coaching staffs didn't want to play

He was injured but it’s inferred that he didn’t come back to play in order to preserve eligibility and a redshirt. But anyways.

J.D. had enough time to bring Costello (a Westminster Christian kid) in last year. Playing his godson at 2B over the best pro prospect on the team last year, bringing in a Westminster Christian kid the same alma mater that a lot of our influential donors went to. Seems to be a theme here.

Who said that "he didn't come back to play in order to preserve eligibility and a redshirt"? Who said that?

And look, I love Blake Cyr, but he was not a great 2B. Do you think the Gators are going to put him at 2B?

I'll preface this with the same qualifier as everyone else (I watched the games, we were terrible last year) - JD wouldn't have been my first choice and he should be fired if we don't at least get into the tournament next year.

That said, I'm not really understanding the argument here. Is it - there was enough time to get Costello, so there was enough time to get ___________. Maybe. But it's just as likely that there was only enough time to get Costello, precisely because he was such an easy layup. With more time, it looks like the bats picked up this portal window likely raise the floor of the team, not so sure about the arms though (again, another problem, seeing as how we promoted the failed pitching coach).

Also - that Gonzalez is the coach's godson and a much better 2B than Cyr are not mutually exclusive. In the few games he was out there, Cyr looked to be a better outfielder than infielder. I'd bet he's still mostly DHing up there, some LF, but no MiF.

Advertisement
Back