Observations from Sideline (FSU)

Advertisement
I mostly agree but he also wasn't able to make them care. I'm not sure if Mario doesn't have a deft enough touch or he just miscalculated, but I can see how his heavy-handed approach probably turned off the players Manny recruited, which has lead to this mutiny.
I get that. I've been at plenty of places where new management came in and there was a mass exodus because they didn't like the new style. People are hesitant to change, especially if that change involves more from them.

Very few people embrace change - especially when they aren’t the change agent. Comforts zones are extremely difficult to penetrate even by the best leaders. When the change is as drastic it has been from Manny to Mario, more people will not be handle the change then those that will embrace it.

Aversion to change comes in many forms. Mutiny. Exodus. Embracing. To name just a few. It sure seems many players are choosing to resist Mario’s changes than embrace them.

Advertisement
Very few people embrace change - especially when they aren’t the change agent. Comforts zones are extremely difficult to penetrate even by the best leaders. When the change is as drastic it has been from Manny to Mario, more people will not be handle the change then those that will embrace it.

Aversion to change comes in many forms. Mutiny. Exodus. Embracing. To name just a few. It sure seems many players are choosing to resist Mario’s changes than embrace them.
Let them resist the real world awaits them , not many of them qualify to do anything.

I got a wire room position open 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week , but again they don’t have the stomach to work .
I’d end up firing them in 24 hours anyway

GOCANES

He also didnt make them care.
If all you hear from his croots are "he keeps it real, he's honest, I believe in what he's doing, he's building something real" - then why can't the same apply to current players he sees everyday.
Because they're new to the situation without preconceived notions of how it should be. The players who can't handle it will go into the portal and may wind up at a school that demands exactly what is being asked of them now. They'll go and do it and say how miserable it was at Miami once Mario came in. Their feelings about the situation will trump the objective truth. The grass is always greener.

Advertisement
Because they're new to the situation without preconceived notions of how it should be. The players who can't handle it will go into the portal and may wind up at a school that demands exactly what is being asked of them now. They'll go and do it and say how miserable it was at Miami once Mario came in. Their feelings about the situation will trump the objective truth. The grass is always greener.
But thats the perfect time to be a real (and highly paid) leader....thats the time to enact change.....when there are no "preconceived notions of how it should be".
The team reflects their leader's leadership.......there are no bad jobs, only bad managers.

This situation reminds me of the movie Heartbreak Ridge. Mario is Eastwood with a bunch of malcontents that either embrace discipline/productivity or leave.

I'm surprised you didn't reference Under the Tuscan Sun instead

i sit a few rows directly behind the offense's bench, and concur with the OP. i can also state that Knighton went at Gattis a few times and had to be restrained. most of the players are mummies.
Knighton stock
Emoji Increasing GIF by emoji® - The Iconic Brand

Advertisement
But thats the perfect time to be a real (and highly paid) leader....thats the time to enact change.....when there are no "preconceived notions of how it should be".
The team reflects their leader's leadership.......there are no bad jobs, only bad managers.
Have you ever worked anywhere with a leadership change?

What attitude did you expect the kids to have when they know they have 0 chance? Please spare me that the kids should "care" and still play hard when no rational human being can possibly expect the offense to score to keep the team in the game.

Think of it this way. If the team is a body, the offense is the arms (that take punches) and the defense is the legs (that dodges attacks). The team knows they can't punch. What did you think was going to happen? They're not bad kids. Just realistic.

Advertisement
Have you ever worked anywhere with a leadership change?
LOL not going to get engaged in personal attacks....i've been banned for much less.
agree to disagree...this is just a version of "its the players vs it's the coaches"....neither of us win.

He also didnt make them care.
If all you hear from his croots are "he keeps it real, he's honest, I believe in what he's doing, he's building something real" - then why can't the same apply to current players he sees everyday.
"He didn't make them care".
Let's go back I believe 2 weeks ago to the Virginia game.
L Taylor has probably his best overall game as a Cane and days later out comes an article where Taylor is quoted as saying that Mario met with him and his Mother. I'm paraphrasing here but Taylor basically said Mario told him he could do more so he cut out junk food, studied more film etc...
Has any one seen articles like this coming out of Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson???
My point is, This was the EIGHTH game of the season and a player of this caliber, in his second year, just now decides he's going to cut out junk food and study more film!
Is this Mario's fault, Manny's fault or Taylor's fault?
To me this is the culture problem at UM. We don't have ANY leaders in the locker room. Zero player accountability coming from PLAYERS. Until that changes and the trenches are consistently addressed we will experience the same type of seasons where only the names change.
GO CANES

Advertisement
Back