Notre Dame game thoughts

Why is there great confidence we'll be able to lock up their offense? For as good as the defense is, big run plays have been there to be had all year. Now we go up against an explosive QB/RB run attack with an elite Oline, doesn't sound favorable.

I don't think a low 20's output wins this one, Rosier and the offense will need to step up and produce against an average ND defense.

Advertisement
Cracking myself up reading this. Out of one side of the mouth we have you Canes telling us that you're going to absolutely beat our asses by outmatching our talent, while on the other side of the mouth defending your close wins against ****less teams like UNC by talking about gaps in your DL and offense... which is it? If an even more hobbled UNC than the team we faced were able to hang into the 4th quarter with y'all when we kicked their asses with a backup QB and a 4th string RB... how can you honestly think y'all will beat us handily?

You're coming to Miami and this will be the best defense you've seen all year.

Lol, if you think you guys have a better D than Georgia you're delusional. I think you guys have a great defense, but in no way is it better than UGA.

We play defense like we play offense. Big play. You will see the difference.

Yards/game: Georgia:4th - Miami:42nd

Pass yards/Game: Georgia:7th -- Miami:34th

Rush Yards/Game: Georgia: 5th -- Miami- 67th!!! (tell me again how you're going to so easily shut down the #5 rushing attack in the country?)

Points/Game: Georgia: 3rd with 11.7 -- Miami- 12th with 17.6

All your stats you provide are misleading because Using Yards/Game is ******* stupid. That doesn't account for the fact we've had 80 MORE runs against us in one LESS game than UGA has. Plus we've played 2 teams that have run over 100 offensive plays against our D. Per play is what you want to use as far as yards are concerned.

MIAMI'S BETTER

Passing Efficiency Defense: Miami - 3rd ... UGA - 7th

Sacks/game: Miami - 5th ... UGA - 70th

Tackles for Loss/Game: Miami - 1st ... UGA - 64th

Turnovers Created: Miami - 20 ... UGA - 14 (In one MORE game)

UGA's BETTER

Total Yards/play: Miami - 13th ... UGA - 4th

Pass yards/attempt: Miami - 4th ... UGA - 2nd

Pass yards/Completions: Miami - 7th ... UGA - 2nd ... Both have allowed 8 Passing TDs.

Scoring Defense: Miami - 12th ... UGA - 3rd

Rushing Yards/Carry: Miami - 3.92 (38th I think) ... UGA - 3.06 (8th I think) ... Both have allowed 4 Rushing TDs.

So yes, UGA is "better" as far as yards are concerned, and they are an elite defense. But lets not act like Miami isn't also one of the best defenses in the country. Fact is we are the #1 defense in the country at creating big plays and far better than ND at it... Just look at the 4 stats I provided first and how our defense compares to UGA with TFLs, Sacks, Turnovers, and Efficiency. Plus it's not like we're all that far off from UGA on yards/play basis either, especially our Pass D (which by efficiency is better than UGA's). This is exactly what I said on page 18, you should go read the quick little breakdown I gave to show our Run D is way better than the pure Stats indicate. We give up around 5 Runs of 10+ per game, and the rest of the time we shut the run game down only allowing like 2ypc. Thats what happens when you play the aggrestive style defense that we do...but it also gets us the results you can see provided at the top.

Last edited:
O and the victories that they are trying to vacate from nd? Kelly found out that some kids were cheating, punished them and told the NCAA
, which came back and is trying to punish them. So you wanna play the ‘we are treated u fair card’

Change of topic.

What do you think is the biggest weakness of ND on both defense and offense? In other words, what do you think is the best way to expose ND on both offense and defense? Thanks

Thanks man, I needed that. For defense, unless you have a great deep ball game, stay in the 8-12 yards across the middle of the field, but put it just in front of your receivers. Throwing right at him our guys are pretty good at getting a hand in their. Also, run quick dives right up the middle. The dubs are pretty solid if you have average q.v./we combo. If u have a big tight end, run post routes.

For our offense, just play assignment ball, I would caution over blitzing and giving up the 2nd level to prevent big plays. If ur dbs are physical, use it. We have speed but lack physically play on routes.

Same question for u?

Thanks!

I am not an expert on this. On offense I see two holes. First, our OL is very mediocre in the run game. They have trouble with teams that can overpower them. They often get pushed back. Our goal line unit is horrific. As a result, preventing the long TD play is key. Give up yards but not TDs. We just don’t do well in the red zone. If you avoid explosive plays you can keep our scoring down.

I honestly don’t see any big weakness on D. We are very aggressive, so sometimes teams are able to break big plays.

Advertisement
Cracking myself up reading this. Out of one side of the mouth we have you Canes telling us that you're going to absolutely beat our asses by outmatching our talent, while on the other side of the mouth defending your close wins against ****less teams like UNC by talking about gaps in your DL and offense... which is it? If an even more hobbled UNC than the team we faced were able to hang into the 4th quarter with y'all when we kicked their asses with a backup QB and a 4th string RB... how can you honestly think y'all will beat us handily?

Lol, if you think you guys have a better D than Georgia you're delusional. I think you guys have a great defense, but in no way is it better than UGA.

Rush Yards/Game: Georgia: 5th -- Miami- 67th!!! (tell me again how you're going to so easily shut down the #5 rushing attack in the country?)

A better way to look at it is yards per play. Our D is on the field a lot because our O doesn’t run many plays. We have gone three and out a lot and usually score very quickly. Look at yards per play and get back to me

Why is there great confidence we'll be able to lock up their offense? For as good as the defense is, big run plays have been there to be had all year. Now we go up against an explosive QB/RB run attack with an elite Oline, doesn't sound favorable.

I don't think a low 20's output wins this one, Rosier and the offense will need to step up and produce against an average ND defense.

Big run plays have happened at times in every game. HOWEVER, no team has ran the ball on us with consistency. Take FSU for example. They had three big runs that made over half their rushing yards. But it didn't get them into the endzone and they were stopped behind the line all game. GT is another good example, Averages 331 yards per game on the ground but only got 226 against us on the ground. Our run defense gives up a couple big runs that messes up the stats.

However, if you watch the game the majority of rushes end with no gain and kill drives. Our defense is much better on the field than on paper

All you're stats you provide are misleading because Using Yards/Game is ****ing stupid. That doesn't account for the fact we've had 80 MORE runs against us in one LESS game than UGA has. Plus we've played 2 teams that have run over 100 offensive plays against our D. Per play is what you want to use as far as yards are concerned.

MIAMI'S BETTER

Passing Efficiency Defense: Miami - 3rd ... UGA - 7th

Sacks/game: Miami - 5th ... UGA - 70th

Tackles for Loss/Game: Miami - 1st ... UGA - 64th

Turnovers Created: Miami - 20 ... UGA - 14 (In one MORE game)

UGA's BETTER

Total Yards/play: Miami - 13th ... UGA - 4th

Pass yards/attempt: Miami - 4th ... UGA - 2nd

Pass yards/Completions: Miami - 7th ... UGA - 2nd ... Both have allowed 8 Passing TDs.

Scoring Defense: Miami - 12th ... UGA - 3rd

Rushing Yards/Carry: Miami - 3.92 (38th I think) ... UGA - 3.06 (8th I think) ... Both have allowed 4 Rushing TDs.

So yes, UGA is "better" as far as yards are concerned, and they are an elite defense. But lets not act like Miami isn't also one of the best defenses in the country. Fact is we are the #1 defense in the country at creating big plays and far better than ND at it... Just look at the 4 stats I provided first and how our defense compares to UGA with TFLs, Sacks, Turnovers, and Efficiency. Plus it's not like we're all that far off from UGA on yards/play basis either, especially our Pass D (which by efficiency is better than UGA's). This is exactly what I said on page 18, you should go read the quick little breakdown I gave to show our Run D is way better than the pure Stats indicate. We give up around 5 Runs of 10+ per game, and the rest of the time we shut the run game down only allowing like 2ypc. Thats what happens when you play the aggrestive style defense that we do...but it also gets us the results you can see provided at the top.

Georgia also hasn't played Georgia Tech yet which messes up any defenses rushing stats

My thought is anyone planning to bet Miami should probably wait. I would suspect the spread is more likely to go up than down. I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry to grab +3 or even +3.5, which is scattered available.

No inside information on this. I haven't heard how any of the major betting groups plan to play. Just instincts after living in Las Vegas for 25 years. Much more often than not in a situation like this the road favorite is bet up.

That's when there are two consecutive strenuous games and the home team is considered the weaker team in each. Granted, the Canes were bet to favorite last week. That was an extremely unusual major push away from the power ratings gap. But when the home team pulls a so-called surprise in the first game, the team itself and particularly the fan base tend to become overconfident. Then it turns out the first game was the bargain, not the second one.

It's very frequent for those betting groups who won a week earlier on the home team to turn around and oppose the same team a week later. Essentially they have created their own value. The wager and result from a week earlier shove the second week's line into near parity with the number from a week earlier, even though the second opponent is considerably better than last week's opponent. The ruthless betting groups will understand that and play accordingly, while the fans are still in hoopla from the prior result and can't imagine it won't repeat.

Obviously this won't be popular. Who cares? I focus on more often than not. Regardless of this result when the next similar situation arrives I'll apply the same thinking.

Advertisement
say malik goes down with an injury, who does miami have backing him up? thoughts on him?

Evan Sheriffs is our back up and the qb race was tight throughout spring and fall camps. Sheriffs is not as athletic nor has as strong an arm but is better at making decisions and is more a game manager than Rosier. Rosier makes his living off the big play. Sheriffs is not a statue like Kaaya but will not beat you with his legs either. He is mobile enough to roll out in pocket and make throws on run. He actually may be better suited for NDs type of defense in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reading some of ND fans post one would think Wimbush isan all American. Rosier has a better pass completion percentage and higher efficiency rating

say malik goes down with an injury, who does miami have backing him up? thoughts on him?

Evan Sheriffs is our back up and the qb race was tight throughout spring and fall camps. Sheriffs is not as athletic nor has as strong an arm but is better at making decisions and is more a game manager than Rosier. Rosier makes his living off the big play. Sheriffs is not a statue like Kaaya but will not beat you with his legs either. He is mobile enough to roll out in pocket and make throws on run. He actually may be better suited for NDs type of defense in my opinion.

This is not true. Austin Pfenninger even confirmed for us that Sheriffs is the faster runner, better athlete and throws better on the run. He doesn't have the arm strength Rosier has, that is true.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Had not heard that but will take your word and Austin's viewpoint on it. Thanks for sharing that.

This is not true. Austin Pfenninger even confirmed for us that Sheriffs is the faster runner, better athlete and throws better on the run. He doesn't have the arm strength Rosier has, that is true.

Dude is very athletic for his size. My biggest concern is that he hasn't played any meaningful minutes this year. One failed drive, in a game full of failed drives, doesn't really help prepare one for a big game. I think the guy has talent, but I would be concerned if his first real playing time was against ND in the biggest regular season game we've had since 2000.

Here's hoping he does play this game, but because we are up 42-0 in the 4th quarter.

hey everyone. Well its been an interesting week, to say the least - haha. Heres to a good game, hopefully both teams come out of their without injuries so they can have success the remainder of the season.

A lot of breakdowns have been done, alot of thoughts shared, feelings, emotions...hatred... etc.

Thought i would give some final thoughts and try to come up with a prediction. If anyone is still up for any discussions, id like some feedback. If everyone is in game mode and done with all this, no problem - have a good weekend.

When ND is running the ball, as stated 1k times, the left side is their strength. Nelson is an all american, top 10 pick, but they do have a surprising number of big plays to the right as well. I think it has to do with the defense overloading or trying to overstunt the left side (slants, twists, etc) and it leaves the right side a little more open. i am hoping to see 2 backs on the field at a time, i just feel like it opens things up. Wimbush helps keep everyone honest. Gotta give the checkmark to ND here.

When ND is Passing the ball - for as good as the left side is on run blocking, their LT has some issues with speedy guys on pass rushes. If you bull rush him, no biggie, but if you can hit a move on the outside, he tends to reach instead of move his feet, so i think wimbush tends to roll to the right more (plus his throwing side) Where ND lacks some dominance on the right side in run blocking, they are pretty solid at pass blocking. So the big question is can the receivers step up their game, learn to break routes when the QB is scrambling, and in general help the young QB out. The checkmark here goes to UM, i think their speed will make it tough to have huge sucess, but really, i think they just need to have enough sucess to keep the run game going.

When UM is running the ball - i feel ok about this, i think the speed of our dline makes up for some deficiencies. I think UM has good athletes at RB, but i think ND has seen better this year and practices with better. I wouldn't be surprised with some success, but i don't think this is where miami wins the game, checkmark to ND

When UM is passing the ball - ND's DB's are solid, but with a mobile QB, they aren't good enough to hang with receivers that long. They will have their fair share of pass break ups and good plays, but ultimately, this is where Miami can win the game. If your QB can stay somewhat in the pocket where he has views of the middle of the field, he will have a good day. Checkmark to UM

When ND is Punting - ND actually has a pretty good punter and that saves their poor coverage alot. As long as he has time, im not to worried, despite the solid return game of miami. However, we have had 1 block and a couple close calls. I fully expect miami to try and block one, especially early. - Checkmark - EVEN

When ND is kicking - ND kicks to the corner a lot, which either limits returns, or goes out of bounds, so either way, limits momentum and big returns. Checkmark goes to ND

When UM is punting - ND has a terrible return game for punts, no doubt about it. Checkmark to UM

When UM is kicking - Id say our return here is average, usually wind up between 20-30. Id call it even.

Reffing - i have noticed a lot of talk from people worried that ND would get favorable treatment from the refs. I haven't noticed that to be the case, i think its more of a case (in recent history) that everyone feels like they get shafted. I feel like you miss most of the penalties on your own team and point out everyone on the other team. I really feel like ACC refs aren't the best in general... ND has been screwed numerous times in recent years on targeting calls, both getting called for it unnecessarily and blatant hits not getting called, that trend is really the only one that concerns me. Either way, im not going to predict the refs playing a part.

Prediction by quarter (UM/ND):
1Q - 0/3
2Q - 14/14
3Q - 7/10
4Q - 7/7
Final score prediction ND 34 - UM 28, but UM winds up 12-1 after beating clemson in ACC CG.

Advertisement
Also, ARod is good an all for a guest picker, but was so hoping it would have been the rock, i think it would have been hilariously entertaining. A Rod will do fine, and make sensible picks and all that, but there will be no energy. The rock would have been blowing that place up. So disappointed. haha

hey everyone. Well its been an interesting week, to say the least - haha. Heres to a good game, hopefully both teams come out of their without injuries so they can have success the remainder of the season.

A lot of breakdowns have been done, alot of thoughts shared, feelings, emotions...hatred... etc.

Thought i would give some final thoughts and try to come up with a prediction. If anyone is still up for any discussions, id like some feedback. If everyone is in game mode and done with all this, no problem - have a good weekend.

When ND is running the ball, as stated 1k times, the left side is their strength. Nelson is an all american, top 10 pick, but they do have a surprising number of big plays to the right as well. I think it has to do with the defense overloading or trying to overstunt the left side (slants, twists, etc) and it leaves the right side a little more open. i am hoping to see 2 backs on the field at a time, i just feel like it opens things up. Wimbush helps keep everyone honest. Gotta give the checkmark to ND here.

When ND is Passing the ball - for as good as the left side is on run blocking, their LT has some issues with speedy guys on pass rushes. If you bull rush him, no biggie, but if you can hit a move on the outside, he tends to reach instead of move his feet, so i think wimbush tends to roll to the right more (plus his throwing side) Where ND lacks some dominance on the right side in run blocking, they are pretty solid at pass blocking. So the big question is can the receivers step up their game, learn to break routes when the QB is scrambling, and in general help the young QB out. The checkmark here goes to UM, i think their speed will make it tough to have huge sucess, but really, i think they just need to have enough sucess to keep the run game going.

When UM is running the ball - i feel ok about this, i think the speed of our dline makes up for some deficiencies. I think UM has good athletes at RB, but i think ND has seen better this year and practices with better. I wouldn't be surprised with some success, but i don't think this is where miami wins the game, checkmark to ND

When UM is passing the ball - ND's DB's are solid, but with a mobile QB, they aren't good enough to hang with receivers that long. They will have their fair share of pass break ups and good plays, but ultimately, this is where Miami can win the game. If your QB can stay somewhat in the pocket where he has views of the middle of the field, he will have a good day. Checkmark to UM

When ND is Punting - ND actually has a pretty good punter and that saves their poor coverage alot. As long as he has time, im not to worried, despite the solid return game of miami. However, we have had 1 block and a couple close calls. I fully expect miami to try and block one, especially early. - Checkmark - EVEN

When ND is kicking - ND kicks to the corner a lot, which either limits returns, or goes out of bounds, so either way, limits momentum and big returns. Checkmark goes to ND

When UM is punting - ND has a terrible return game for punts, no doubt about it. Checkmark to UM

When UM is kicking - Id say our return here is average, usually wind up between 20-30. Id call it even.

Reffing - i have noticed a lot of talk from people worried that ND would get favorable treatment from the refs. I haven't noticed that to be the case, i think its more of a case (in recent history) that everyone feels like they get shafted. I feel like you miss most of the penalties on your own team and point out everyone on the other team. I really feel like ACC refs aren't the best in general... ND has been screwed numerous times in recent years on targeting calls, both getting called for it unnecessarily and blatant hits not getting called, that trend is really the only one that concerns me. Either way, im not going to predict the refs playing a part.

Prediction by quarter (UM/ND):
1Q - 0/3
2Q - 14/14
3Q - 7/10
4Q - 7/7
Final score prediction ND 34 - UM 28, but UM winds up 12-1 after beating clemson in ACC CG.

great writeup. didn't read though

Reading some of ND fans post one would think Wimbush isan all American. Rosier has a better pass completion percentage and higher efficiency rating

no far from it, but he does change the game alot. Rosier has a higher efficiency rating, wimbush has a higher qb rating, not really sure how they figure both, but for what its worth. I think they both have a bright future ahead of them. Ill tell you, Wimbush throws a nice ball, just gotta get the accuracy and timing dialed in...

Advertisement
Back