Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Advertisement
I’m rooting for these guys against FSU, but that’s not a team that can beat them.

I actually feel the opposite. I'm not saying GT will win, but to me, the team that matches up best with FSU has an elite offense more than an elite defense.

FSU is going to be stronger on defense than offense this year, IMO. So getting in a rock fight with them probably isn't the best strategy, because that's the game they're going to want to play. To me, if I have to pick one strength vs the other, I'd rather be stronger on offense, because that's strength on strength, and if you're going to beat a team that's "better" than you, you want to do it with the strength of your team leading the way.

FSU's defense is going to limit even the good offenses they play. They're going to smother the bad offenses. Yeah, FSU should have some success against GT's defense, but GT's offense should have some success against their defense, too.

I see this as a high scoring game. The total is 55.5. For a team to upset FSU, they're going to need to have success against their defense, and hope the offense sputters for a quarter or a half, which is definitely possible.

I like the matchup GT has against them better than I do for someone who is going to lean on their defense and hold-on on offense. Go drop 30 on them and see if DJU and the retread crew can keep up.

I actually feel the opposite. I'm not saying GT will win, but to me, the team that matches up best with FSU has an elite offense more than an elite defense.

FSU is going to be stronger on defense than offense this year, IMO. So getting in a rock fight with them probably isn't the best strategy, because that's the game they're going to want to play. To me, if I have to pick one strength vs the other, I'd rather be stronger on offense, because that's strength on strength, and if you're going to beat a team that's "better" than you, you want to do it with the strength of your team leading the way.

FSU's defense is going to limit even the good offenses they play. They're going to smother the bad offenses. Yeah, FSU should have some success against GT's defense, but GT's offense should have some success against their defense, too.

I see this as a high scoring game. The total is 55.5. For a team to upset FSU, they're going to need to have success against their defense, and hope the offense sputters for a quarter or a half, which is definitely possible.

I like the matchup GT has against them better than I do for someone who is going to lean on their defense and hold-on on offense. Go drop 30 on them and see if DJU and the retread crew can keep up.
If GT can score 30 they win.

Advertisement
If GT can score 30 they win.

If they can, it'll sure as **** be a good game and they at least cover, because as bad as GT is on defense, I'll be pretty surprised if FSUs offense drops 42+.

By the way, the line continues to drop as we get closer to game-time. I think it opened at -13, and it's down to -10.5 or even -10 at most shops.

Also, I think the year Haynes King had last year is kind of flying below the radar.

I saw a tweet the other day that said there have been 5 instances in the playoff era of an ACC QB throwing for 2800 yards and 25 TDs and running for 700 yards and 10 TDs.

Lamar Jackson
Lamar Jackson
Deshaun Watson
Jerod Evans
Haynes King in 2023

Last edited:
Wait.. why is FSwho playing in Ireland this weekend? 😂

Your question should actually be, why does this count as a road game for FSU and a home game for GT?

Since it's an ACC game, now FSU really only has 3 true road games.

Miami
SMU
Duke

But, they do play at Notre Dame, so even though it's not a conference game, that'll be tough.

But yes, FSU is "AT" Georgia Tech, in Dublin. So GT only has 3 home ACC games in Atlanta, and FSU only has 3 road ACC games in Miami, Dallas, and Durham.

Don't worry though, FSU will keep crying that they're getting screwed at every opportunity by the league.

Your question should actually be, why does this count as a road game for FSU and a home game for GT?

Since it's an ACC game, now FSU really only has 3 true road games.

Miami
SMU
Duke

But, they do play at Notre Dame, so even though it's not a conference game, that'll be tough.

But yes, FSU is "AT" Georgia Tech, in Dublin. So GT only has 3 home ACC games in Atlanta, and FSU only has 3 road ACC games in Miami, Dallas, and Durham.

Don't worry though, FSU will keep crying that they're getting screwed at every opportunity by the league.

I must of been under a rock.. I’m watching ESPN and they’re talking about FSU vs GT this weekend in Ireland.. I’m like wait what? lol

Listen I love how petty ACC has been towards FSU since the lawsuit.. can’t wait to see how they ***** them some more lol.

Advertisement

100%

Many of their opponents simply won't muster enough offense. Most of their games will be over before they begin, even though the final will be 23-10 or something visually lackluster.

The games they will lose will take on 2 forms:

1) Their offense can't separate, and the game becomes a toss up that they lose at the end;
2) A well-oiled offense gets a significant lead on them by half, and they don't have the firepower for a comeback.

I don't think #2 is an offense that relies on big plays. The offenses that will beat FSU are those that can consistently sustain drives.

This is my concern with fsu this year. I pointed out something similar earlier in this thread. If they have a good year, it’s going to be because of this. And no, just being old doesn’t mean you’re good. But most of their “old” players are at least decent. There aren’t a ton of teams loaded with 22 and 23 year olds who have played a ton of ball who are awful.

So, for me, I still have FSU at 3 losses. I think they’re more likely to win 8 than they are to win 10. But if they do go 9-3 or better, I think this will be the reason why. Every kid on their OL and DL is at least a 4th year player, IIRC. Many of them are 6th year players.

He was my OC in HS. A guy on our HS team got weeks of toes and elbows punishment for yelling at a school event in the auditorium “Don’t choke like Busby did in the Sugar Bowl.” Was hilarious. Even tho he was a Nole he was a nice guy.
Toes & bows?! I know that from pledging and hot Ten High. Ahhh, good times.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Week 1 with lots of new guys on offense who are downgrade compared to last year. Think it'll be close. Noles probably get a close W but wouldn't be surprised at all they lose.
Think the Noles defense will win them the game not DJ. I do think it should be pretty close, not impossible for GT to win. But roster comparison fsu should win up front.

Advertisement
Think the Noles defense will win them the game not DJ. I do think it should be pretty close, not impossible for GT to win. But roster comparison fsu should win up front.
Hey, GT has won impossible games before …..

Animated GIF

This is my concern with fsu this year. I pointed out something similar earlier in this thread. If they have a good year, it’s going to be because of this. And no, just being old doesn’t mean you’re good. But most of their “old” players are at least decent. There aren’t a ton of teams loaded with 22 and 23 year olds who have played a ton of ball who are awful.

So, for me, I still have FSU at 3 losses. I think they’re more likely to win 8 than they are to win 10. But if they do go 9-3 or better, I think this will be the reason why. Every kid on their OL and DL is at least a 4th year player, IIRC. Many of them are 6th year players.

You are 100% correct.

I am hoping (for Miami's sake) that the "older team" truism is less true in the Portal Age.

Yes, these guys are older, so they've been around, but they haven't been around EACH OTHER as much. I am especially hoping that this holds true at positions where you need more inter-unit teamwork, like OL and DL.

Fingers crossed.

Yea I don’t know where this GT will beat fsu thing came from. I think fsu handles them

But rooting for GT to pull out the upset

Hopefully, F$U is up by 3 late, and because OC Alex Atkins is suspended, one of the F$U GA's tells Prison Mike that Irish-rules do not allow you to take a knee to run out the clock...

You are 100% correct.

I am hoping (for Miami's sake) that the "older team" truism is less true in the Portal Age.

Yes, these guys are older, so they've been around, but they haven't been around EACH OTHER as much. I am especially hoping that this holds true at positions where you need more inter-unit teamwork, like OL and DL.

Fingers crossed.
This is a really good observation. OL chemistry is hugely important to OL success. Those Wake Forest teams the tweet alludes to played together for 4-5 years. Also, age in itself isn't guarantee. I recall we had a similar conversation at some point in the last 5 years about our team being quite veteran and it was just veteran JAGs. I don't know enough about FSU's OL talent, but I don't think there are a bunch of Day 1 and 2 talents on that line.

Advertisement
Back