Nike deal

And this is my point.

They rally around that one good game from 100 years ago, because they have nothing else.

I was certainly talking about Illinois, the program, and how they have to focus on one player and one moment because they have nothing else of note. But I was wrong.

Illinois has won EIGHT bowl games in their history. And three of them were Rose Bowls. So, yeah, I overlooked their THREE team accomplishments in their history. Assuming, of course, that we can agree that their Micron PC Bowl and Texas Bowl and Fight Hunger Bowl trophies aren't worth ****.

And, look, I'm going to cut off the analysis at this point, because the WORST PART of it all is that there is no reason for Illinois to be THAT BAD for the last 80-100 years. None at all.

Illinois is the SIXTH largest state. Chicago is the third largest metro area in the US, behind NYC and LA. Illinois has NFL teams in every direction. And yet Illinois has been TERRIBLE at football, for a century. There's simply no good explanation for such a prolonged period of ****tiness.

At least Northwestern can use the "but we're a small private school with no facilities" excuse. Illinois has no excuse for being as bad as they are.

1. Please don’t try to conflate things. U’re giving geography lessons when that literally has nothing to do w/ anything.

2. So Illinois has no reason to be bad, huh? So like, I dunno, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, & Iowa aren’t next door to them; u know, the TRADITIONAL power house schools whose recruiting areas happen to be CHICAGO. Lol

3. I’m from Chicago, so pls don’t try to educate me about MY city. Chicago is not a football city, it’s a basketball city. Have we had some studs come out in the past few yrs? Yes; but, it’s not a recruiting hot bed, & the few that are high priority 9.7/10 go to other schools

4. I’m going to assume that even if Illinois had thousands of things to celebrate, they would still be celebrating a historic moment from a century ago, b/c it’s an historic moment, so not sure y u’re taking the liberty to take a crack on them for this.

Advertisement
1. Please don’t try to conflate things. U’re giving geography lessons when that literally has nothing to do w/ anything.

2. So Illinois has no reason to be bad, huh? So like, I dunno, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, & Iowa aren’t next door to them; u know, the TRADITIONAL power house schools whose recruiting areas happen to be CHICAGO. Lol

3. I’m from Chicago, so pls don’t try to educate me about MY city. Chicago is not a football city, it’s a basketball city. Have we had some studs come out in the past few yrs? Yes; but, it’s not a recruiting hot bed, & the few that are high priority 9.7/10 go to other schools

4. I’m going to assume that even if Illinois had thousands of things to celebrate, they would still be celebrating a historic moment from a century ago, b/c it’s an historic moment, so not sure y u’re taking the liberty to take a crack on them for this.
Pistons> Bulls no other lies detected.

Pistons> Bulls no other lies detected.
IMG_3481.webp

🤣

Off the top of my head, Butkus, Halas and Nitschke all reside in Canton. Amateur wise it has been a basketball city since the 60's and 70's when Gary was a hotbed. Professionally, it has been a Bears city since those years no matter how bad they were and championship teams in other sports.

Advertisement

Throw The Towel GIF

False alarm; not Miami related, but a dope concept from Nike for the Univ. of Illinois to commemorate their 100th yr of the infamous Red Grange (til this my Bears’ best QB in its history, smh) 6 TD game against Meechigan.

It’s a 1 off throw back from the 1920’s, but The School went above to make their helmets look like the 1920’s, too.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I always want the team with the special / commemorative uniforms to get their **** pushed in that game.

Advertisement

Hilarious. I'm from St. Louis, I've got relatives all over Mizzou and Illinois.

Goodness...So one of the 10 largest states in the country is incapable of turning out enough football talent...because of other states? Come on, now.

I know Chicago is more of a hoops town, but I'm talking about the infrastructure, the schools, the competition. You could put 20 million people in North Dakota, but I wouldn't assume they would suddenly become a football hotbed. Illinois is big enough to produce football talent for ONE university, given that there's no "Illinois State" to contend with, or even Northwestern (for most of its history).

If nobody can manage to go into Illinois and convince the best talent to stay home and rep for the home state, that's on Illinois. I'm not going to blame the states of Michigan and Ohio for that. Somehow, Nebraska has managed to keep more homegrown talent in a FAR ****tier state than Illinois has. I'm actually saying something NICE about Illinois, there seems to be enough state and city pride to be able to keep ONE state school doing well in football.

Relax, I realize I struck a nerve. I'm not gonna take it personally if you trash-talk Mizzou. All the other Big 10 schools have had their ups and downs, it just seems like Illinois should have more to show for the past 80 years. And, no, I'm not giving them credit for a national championship in a year when they were ranked #3 and #4 by the two major wire services.

I get it, there's competition. But I think the University of Miami has had more success recruiting top talent out of Chicago than Illinois has had, at least over the past 40 years. Maybe Illinois needs to hire a visionary like Schnellenberger who will focus on keeping the homegrown talent in-state.

You know I know who Red Grange is. Great player, early childhood hero of mine. But a lot of time has passed.

The throwbacks look cool. The Illini need to build some more recent memories too.

Advertisement
Back