Nike deal

So my lil cousin is in SEC territory, played for Auburn, & is still around the program (it’s how I knew they were leaving UA, & signing w Nike). He’s really good friends w/ a lot of former Bama guys.

This is what I’ve been told for a couple of yrs now: Bama wants to be elite in literally everything. That is their goal & I’ve seen this in their track program, their gymnastics program, & of course as u alluded to, the b-ball program. From what I was told Bama is trying to make the A synonymous with great athletics, in general, not just CFB. A JB move would further this mantra.

Again, just what I heard.

Relly, do you think a 10-12 win season gets us back into the conversation (for either Jordan or Nike)? Or will Nike need to see a couple of good years first, and we should be grateful just to be back in the mix?

Advertisement
Relly, do you think a 10-12 win season gets us back into the conversation (for either Jordan or Nike)? Or will Nike need to see a couple of good years first, and we should be grateful just to be back in the mix?

It depends.
When UofM signed back w/ Jordan Brand/Nike, they were coming off a 5-7 season. The differences were Harbaugh, Charles Woodson, & contract coming up for renewal.

If our alums + Mario push for Jordan Brand/Nike, I can see us getting a 6-8 yr deal for roughly $8-9m year based upon prior history and brand awareness if we have a solid season this yr. But, if we stink it up again, it can have dire consequences well outside the scope of Nike/Jordan.

Ok! Before my games!

Yeah, & truthfully he should played baseball. I mean he was solid in football, but he was a man child in baseball. To keep it a buck, college wasn’t for him. He grew up sheltered, in a small town in Mississippi. When got to a big University, that boy was trying hump any girl that was around. Lol. He lost focus, & now he’s a “what if” story w/ 3 kids & 3 baby mamas. Lol.

But he keeps active around The Auburn program. It’s all love.

Advertisement
Yeah, & truthfully he should played baseball. I mean he was solid in football, but he was a man child in baseball. To keep it a buck, college wasn’t for him. He grew up sheltered, in a small town in Mississippi. When got to a big University, that boy was trying hump any girl that was around. Lol. He lost focus, & now he’s a “what if” story w/ 3 kids & 3 baby mamas. Lol.

But he keeps active around The Auburn program. It’s all love.

Must be very small town to think Auburn is big!

So my lil cousin is in SEC territory, played for Auburn, & is still around the program (it’s how I knew they were leaving UA, & signing w Nike). He’s really good friends w/ a lot of former Bama guys.

This is what I’ve been told for a couple of yrs now: Bama wants to be elite in literally everything. That is their goal & I’ve seen this in their track program, their gymnastics program, & of course as u alluded to, the b-ball program. From what I was told Bama is trying to make the A synonymous with great athletics, in general, not just CFB. A JB move would further this mantra.

Again, just what I heard.
I'm very jealous of how they're trying to be elite in everything lmao

Advertisement
False alarm; not Miami related, but a dope concept from Nike for the Univ. of Illinois to commemorate their 100th yr of the infamous Red Grange (til this my Bears’ best QB in its history, smh) 6 TD game against Meechigan.

It’s a 1 off throw back from the 1920’s, but The School went above to make their helmets look like the 1920’s, too.

False alarm; not Miami related, but a dope concept from Nike for the Univ. of Illinois to commemorate their 100th yr of the infamous Red Grange (til this my Bears’ best QB in its history, smh) 6 TD game against Meechigan.

It’s a 1 off throw back from the 1920’s, but The School went above to make their helmets look like the 1920’s, too.

I was reading books about football when I was in elementary school, so I definitely know who The Galloping Ghost is...

...but for the love of God, this is the "Al Bundy 4 Touchdowns in One Game" legend for Illinois. I don't think they've had a single moment of triumph or domination in the past 100 years outside of what Red Grange did against Michigan.

If you had to pick one team in Illinois to remain in the Big 10, you'd have to go with Northwestern.

Advertisement
I was reading books about football when I was in elementary school, so I definitely know who The Galloping Ghost is...

...but for the love of God, this is the "Al Bundy 4 Touchdowns in One Game" legend for Illinois. I don't think they've had a single moment of triumph or domination in the past 100 years outside of what Red Grange did against Michigan.

If you had to pick one team in Illinois to remain in the Big 10, you'd have to go with Northwestern.
Don't be rude to Juice Wells lol

Nah, Illinois have had some good moments. Mendenhall was **** good for them.

Advertisement
Nah, Illinois have had some good moments. Mendenhall was **** good for them.

That's one good player. As a program, they suck.

Last 10-win season? 2001. Last one before that? 1989.

In the last EIGHTY YEARS, they have had as many winless seasons (three) as 10-win seasons (three).

In the last EIGHTY YEARS, they have finished the season ranked in the Top 25 only 12 times, and 6 of those happened before JFK was assassinated.

And it's not like they've had terrible coaches, there are some big semi-successful names on that list.

1723134997049.webp

1723135136453.webp

That's one good player. As a program, they suck.

Last 10-win season? 2001. Last one before that? 1989.

In the last EIGHTY YEARS, they have had as many winless seasons (three) as 10-win seasons (three).

In the last EIGHTY YEARS, they have finished the season ranked in the Top 25 only 12 times, and 6 of those happened before JFK was assassinated.

And it's not like they've had terrible coaches, there are some big semi-successful names on that list.

View attachment 297267
View attachment 297268

This was the direct point u stated that I responded to:

“...but for the love of God, this is the "Al Bundy 4 Touchdowns in One Game" legend for Illinois. I don't think they've had a single moment of triumph or domination in the past 100 years outside of what Red Grange did against Michigan.

If you had to pick one team in Illinois to remain in the Big 10, you'd have to go with Northwestern.”

No one said anything about the caliber of program they are vs. rebutting they’ve had other moments outside of Red Grange.

As far as ur other remark regarding Northwestern staying in the B1G over Illinois:

UofI Nat’l Titles: 5 (last one in 1951)
NW Nat’l Titles: 0

UofI Conference Titles: 15 (last one in 2001)
NW Conference Titles: 8 (last one in 2000)

UofI Division Titles: 0
NW Division Titles: 2 (last one in 2020)

UofI all time record: 632-525-50 (.503)
NW all time record: 556-702-44 (.448)

Now with that said, over the last 20 yrs Northwestern have been a better program, but historically Illinois is the better program. In fact, if we’re going to be frank, majority of the B1G is filled w/ historically good programs w/ very few programs that r relevant today (pre PAC-4 re-alignment).

This was the direct point u stated that I responded to:

“...but for the love of God, this is the "Al Bundy 4 Touchdowns in One Game" legend for Illinois. I don't think they've had a single moment of triumph or domination in the past 100 years outside of what Red Grange did against Michigan.

If you had to pick one team in Illinois to remain in the Big 10, you'd have to go with Northwestern.”

No one said anything about the caliber of program they are vs. rebutting they’ve had other moments outside of Red Grange.

As far as ur other remark regarding Northwestern staying in the B1G over Illinois:

UofI Nat’l Titles: 5 (last one in 1951)
NW Nat’l Titles: 0

UofI Conference Titles: 15 (last one in 2001)
NW Conference Titles: 8 (last one in 2000)

UofI Division Titles: 0
NW Division Titles: 2 (last one in 2020)

UofI all time record: 632-525-50 (.503)
NW all time record: 556-702-44 (.448)

Now with that said, over the last 20 yrs Northwestern have been a better program, but historically Illinois is the better program. In fact, if we’re going to be frank, majority of the B1G is filled w/ historically good programs w/ very few programs that r relevant today (pre PAC-4 re-alignment).

And this is my point.

They rally around that one good game from 100 years ago, because they have nothing else.

I was certainly talking about Illinois, the program, and how they have to focus on one player and one moment because they have nothing else of note. But I was wrong.

Illinois has won EIGHT bowl games in their history. And three of them were Rose Bowls. So, yeah, I overlooked their THREE team accomplishments in their history. Assuming, of course, that we can agree that their Micron PC Bowl and Texas Bowl and Fight Hunger Bowl trophies aren't worth ****.

And, look, I'm going to cut off the analysis at this point, because the WORST PART of it all is that there is no reason for Illinois to be THAT BAD for the last 80-100 years. None at all.

Illinois is the SIXTH largest state. Chicago is the third largest metro area in the US, behind NYC and LA. Illinois has NFL teams in every direction. And yet Illinois has been TERRIBLE at football, for a century. There's simply no good explanation for such a prolonged period of ****tiness.

At least Northwestern can use the "but we're a small private school with no facilities" excuse. Illinois has no excuse for being as bad as they are.

Advertisement
Back