Nickel Role

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
We still have some stuff to work out here.

I think we need Meesh (#0) at Safety, so unless things get even more dangerous at Nickel, I’d hope we can keep him there so he can cover up holes against inside WRs in certain formations.

That said, after looking really solid all year last year on the outside, Porter had some really rough snaps last night against their smaller slot. It happens. Everyone gets beat against some of those routes. Inside WRs are producing at every level of football. That said, we also saw a struggle to exchange responsibilities (I believe ended up in a chunk play at the end of the game), which worries me more.

Not sure we have the experienced personnel to fix this, but in a non-risky game scenario, maybe give Robbie Washington a shot to use his attributes against those slot guys.

Counting on Guidry and crew to come up with something, because the blueprint is there for a QB with any accuracy. We did a much cleaner job against UF.

Advertisement
Guys, let’s relax a little. Porter has been lock down all year. Yesterday, we went man coverage and stacked the box majority of those times. They sent porter man in motion all night. It was part of the game plan. It was a sacrifice to stop the run, which they did. Add in the tempo, idk if a cb in the country could do that all night.

We probably won’t have that game plan against another team.

Advertisement

I think we need Meesh (#0) at Safety, so unless things get even more dangerous at Nickel, I’d hope we can keep him there so he can cover up holes against inside WRs in certain formations.

That said, after looking really solid all year last year on the outside, Porter had some really rough snaps last night against their smaller slot. It happens. Everyone gets beat against some of those routes. Inside WRs are producing at every level of football. That said, we also saw a struggle to exchange responsibilities (I believe ended up in a chunk play at the end of the game), which worries me more.

Not sure we have the experienced personnel to fix this, but in a non-risky game scenario, maybe give Robbie Washington a shot to use his attributes against those slot guys.

Counting on Guidry and crew to come up with something, because the blueprint is there for a QB with any accuracy. We did a much cleaner job against UF.
That little dude #38 was pretty good. Tough match up

Advertisement
The recruiting miss was a safety… they wanted originally for Powell to play nickel or corner…
15 has played better at safety this year. powell to nickel with 15 replacing him worth a shot. stafford may have best short area quicks of our corners; he's a slot option too if guidry trusts his understanding of the defense.

kudos to 38 and golesh though, the kid is good and golesh's scheme pushed the enevelope of OPI. all in all we did a good enough job with that action, kid only averaged 11ypc with a long under 30. i believe the long pass to 88 in second half was off that motion/pick action, while 25 did a fine job of sticking with 38 when he went upfield off that action (just grabbed his facemask when he couldn't locate the ball)

The recruiting miss was a safety… they wanted originally for Powell to play nickel or corner…
Correct that’s why he came here -to get that shot and put that on tape for nfl..
Seems like he’s ok with it outwardly

Last night was a tough matchup. USF is a wide as you can be and then runs motion to gain leverage.

Miami was 1 high and left their CB on an island. Not many DB’s in all of college who can chase down a slot WR 50yds across the field and stay with them all night.

Brown is the slot CB if/when he comes back.

Advertisement
Porter got worked, but in fairness, USF was picking the sh*t out of him all night

It’s a was a great scheme by USF. It’s what they do. I don’t blame Porter for much. I was at the game and yes their run routes/picking him created issues. Unless Miami went to zone which they rarely ever play, then somebody was stuck getting beat by poor mans Restrepo

Advertisement
I think it was both. Nobody envisioned being this good so far(although we haven’t faced a legit passing offense). Ideally, we should’ve gotten a starting level CB and Hill. That gives us Porter, transfer CB, Brown, OJ, Hill, and Richard as the top 6.

Advertisement
Back