More portaling — Nigel Bethel

Advertisement
D6183D65-753B-495E-96FD-5C287C957958.jpeg

Advertisement
"Miami decided to take Bethel after a strong performance at one of their 7-on-7 tournaments two cycles ago. The issue I always felt though was that he hadn't played much defensive back. I'm sure he saw Te'Cory Couch and Christian Williams and realized they were probably going to get some run over him."

Ivins sums it up well

Advertisement
I expect at least 1 WR to go. Its been said we are only gonna play 5-6 and we have 8 with some already having a foot out the door.

Osborne - last year
Jeff Thomas - last year barring injury
Harley - one more after this
Hightower - Soph/Redshirt Frosh
Pope - Soph/Redshirt Frosh
Wiggins - Soph/Redshirt Frosh
Payton - Frosh not going anywhere
Njoku

I could see a case for Njoku to transfer, but don't see it with any of the others.

If you think about it... he may rarely ever see the field. Ivey and Blades will be here for another 2-3 season. Te’cory Couch and Christian Williams have probably played at his level or better, and Miami is looking to bring in maybe 3-4 DB. He’s seeing it unfold before his his.

It could also be noted that he actually wanted to play WR, but decided to come to Miami as DB anyway. Don’t be surprised if that had anything to do with it as well.

In the open practice I attended both Freshman looked much better than Bethel.

His high school tape was primarily him playing WR and catching tunnel screens with his body and outrunning everyone. Couch and Williams are certified dogs that have actually played CB at a high level coming into college. He had no chance

Advertisement
"Miami decided to take Bethel after a strong performance at one of their 7-on-7 tournaments two cycles ago. The issue I always felt though was that he hadn't played much defensive back. I'm sure he saw Te'Cory Couch and Christian Williams and realized they were probably going to get some run over him."

Ivins sums it up well
Bethel just lacked the physicality to play corner for us. It's something u can't teach u either have it or not

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back