Michael Barrow For DC?

Let see. Barrow played at the U for 4 years, was then a LB in the NFL for 13 years, was then a high school coach, an LB coach with the Canes, LB NFL coach with the Seahawks for 1 year, during his Canes and NFL days, 18 years, dude was a MLB which for the most part plays behind the D Line, in front of DB's, dude called Defensive signals during his time, dude understands what everyone on the D is supposed to do or be doing, dude was a frigging leader and stud yet dude is not qualified to be a DC? Wow!! I guess that due to his experience level Dorito is better qualified than Michael to be a DC??... By the way, Michael was in Orlando during the recent FLA High School championship games at the same time Richt was there. Michael flew across country just to watch High School games in FL! What a coincidence ha!!

Ok. At what point of his awesome career has he ever called a defense?

They take LB coaches and make them DCs all the time in the NFL, why isn't that good enough for Miami fans?

Cause Miami is a huge program that's in dire need of a resurgence, not a place where you experiment with a first time DC.

Agreed and not saying I want Barrow to be the DC (cuz I don't) but the size or history of our program doesn't matter. The current DC for Seattle was their DB coach last year. I'm not opposed to promoting a position coach to the DC position. There are too many examples of this working to simply ignore

With that being said, I would prefer someone with experience calling plays. But I wouldn't rule out all candidates who have never been DC's before.

Well Seattle's DC left and took an HC job. They wanted to keep some continuity on staff I'm sure. They weren't gonna search for a new DC from the outside and have to change their whole scheme.

Miami's situation is a little different IMO. We're starting from scratch and have some decent dough to spend on an established/experienced guy.

Advertisement
Let see. Barrow played at the U for 4 years, was then a LB in the NFL for 13 years, was then a high school coach, an LB coach with the Canes, LB NFL coach with the Seahawks for 1 year, during his Canes and NFL days, 18 years, dude was a MLB which for the most part plays behind the D Line, in front of DB's, dude called Defensive signals during his time, dude understands what everyone on the D is supposed to do or be doing, dude was a frigging leader and stud yet dude is not qualified to be a DC? Wow!! I guess that due to his experience level Dorito is better qualified than Michael to be a DC??... By the way, Michael was in Orlando during the recent FLA High School championship games at the same time Richt was there. Michael flew across country just to watch High School games in FL! What a coincidence ha!!

They take LB coaches and make them DCs all the time in the NFL, why isn't that good enough for Miami fans?
I would like to see a list. Please...

Here is a list of every DC in the NFL. So many of them were position coaches within the last 5 years before being promoted to their first gig as DC. A lot of them have been successful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_National_Football_League_defensive_coordinators

Cause Miami is a huge program that's in dire need of a resurgence, not a place where you experiment with a first time DC.

Agreed and not saying I want Barrow to be the DC (cuz I don't) but the size or history of our program doesn't matter. The current DC for Seattle was their DB coach last year. I'm not opposed to promoting a position coach to the DC position. There are too many examples of this working to simply ignore

With that being said, I would prefer someone with experience calling plays. But I wouldn't rule out all candidates who have never been DC's before.

Well Seattle's DC left and took an HC job. They wanted to keep some continuity on staff I'm sure. They weren't gonna search for a new DC from the outside and have to change their whole scheme.

Miami's situation is a little different IMO. We're starting from scratch and have some decent dough to spend on an established/experienced guy.

True but he's still calling plays for the first time in his life. Heck, he's only been a true positional coach (not asst) since 2011. You're handing a guy with 4 years of experience in being completely in charge of a DB unit the keys to arguably the most historic defense in NFL history.

Point is, it's too common to ignore. Is there a beast DC out there that can come in and install his own defense with a great staff? Absolutely. But there are also plenty of qualified positional coaches who just need a chance. Riskier but the payoff can be the same.

Barrow was the best recruiter we have had during the Shannon and Golden era.

However, he was severely hamstrung by their ineptitude.

We must get him back on staff.

In Regards To Barrow...
If I'm a coach... and I'm going to entrust half of the football team to an individual while I take care of the offensive side....
I'm making **** sure that this hire isn't going to someone who isn't doing this for the first time... just my opinion. How comfortable can you really feel?

In regards to 1st time DCs...
Somebody brought up that Pruitt was a 1st time DC under Saban.. but everyone Knows Saban is the architect of the Defense.....
Other guys that are 1st time DCs go are usually promoted within.. or the HC is a defensive coach who has a philosophy for you to run
Very Rare do you have a guy go from college position coach to a 1st time DC at another school... and be successful...

But I can't think of any NFL position coach that came back to be a 1st time DC in college and that the HC wasn't already defensive oriented coach...
I'm sure one is out there... just doesn't happen very often

JC

Advertisement

True but he's still calling plays for the first time in his life. Heck, he's only been a true positional coach (not asst) since 2011. You're handing a guy with 4 years of experience in being completely in charge of a DB unit the keys to arguably the most historic defense in NFL history.

Point is, it's too common to ignore. Is there a beast DC out there that can come in and install his own defense with a great staff? Absolutely. But there are also plenty of qualified positional coaches who just need a chance. Riskier but the payoff can be the same.

I hear you...

But what's Barrow's defense? He was here under Golden for years and then he was at Seattle for a year. It would be one thing if Barrow was a position coach under an outstanding DC for a few years and adopted a scheme but he hasn't been. Is he gonna come here and run Seattle's cover-3/cover-1 scheme? I don't even think he's been there long enough to have a complete grasp of that scheme.

These are thing we don't know and IMO they're important. That's why I want someone who we've seen DC before.

Coach.. did you learn everything about coaching while you were a coach or did you learn some of the aspects of X's and O's while you were playing? You have to think he picked up something about coaching in his career... If he only repeats SOME of the things he have stubbled across in his more than 20 years of Line backing...he would be more qualified than MOST...

In Regards To Barrow...
If I'm a coach... and I'm going to entrust half of the football team to an individual while I take care of the offensive side....
I'm making **** sure that this hire isn't going to someone who isn't doing this for the first time... just my opinion. How comfortable can you really feel?

Somebody brought up that Pruitt was a 1st time DC under Saban.. but everyone Knows Saban is the architect of the Defense.....
Other guys that are 1st time DCs go are usually promoted within.. or the HC is a defensive coach who has a philosophy for you to run
Very Rare do you have a guy go from college position coach to a 1st time DC at another school... and be successful...

But I can't think of any NFL position coach that came back to be a 1st time DC in college and that the HC wasn't already defensive oriented coach...

JC

Exactly.

Coach.. did you learn everything about coaching while you were a coach or did you learn some of the aspects of X's and O's while you were playing? You have to think he picked up something about coaching in his career... If he only repeats SOME of the things he have stubbled across in his more than 20 years of Line backing...he would be more qualified than MOST...

I honestly learned 99% of the stuff I currently know from coaching... not playing.

Most coaches just tell you what to do and where to be, they don't tell you why. That's why players don't learn the details of defense. They learn techniques and they learn basics but that's about it. Most players don't know crap, they just do what their coach is asking (or coaching) them to do.

That's why I'll take a guy that has coached 15 years but only played ball in college ...over a guy who's only coached 5 years but played 15 in the NFL. More learning is done when you're coaching.

Advertisement

I hear you...

But what's Barrow's defense? He was here under Golden for years and then he was at Seattle for a year. It would be one thing if Barrow was a position coach under an outstanding DC for a few years and adopted a scheme but he hasn't been. Is he gonna come here and run Seattle's cover-3/cover-1 scheme? I don't even think he's been there long enough to have a complete grasp of that scheme.

These are thing we don't know and IMO they're important. That's why I want someone who we've seen DC before.

Yeah, my bad if I didn't make it clear but I'm not saying I want Barrow. Actually, the reasons you pointed out are why I wouldn't want Barrow. I have no doubt he's a great LB coach and will eventually get a chance at DC but like you said I don't know what kind of defense he would run. He's getting some valuable experience under Carrol and I'm sure learned a lot under Shannon. But what would we see as a DC?

My point was that there are position coaches that will end up becoming elite DC's and HC's down the line. We can't ignore those candidates just because they've never had the chance to coach up an entire D. Leave no stone unturned.

Every decision in life is a risk. How many established CFB and NFL DC's have flopped with their teams and how many inexperienced have done well? Probly bout the same. Just because we pay a lot of money for an experienced DC does not guarantee success. The key is understanding your players and coaches weaknesses and strengths and device a scheme to utilize their strengths. Got news for you folks, just because a DC calls a signal dependent on other team's tendencies, the other team has the option to audible off, at which point it is up to a player/Captain to notice this change and realign his defense. This is what Mr. Barrow did for years in the NFL, the highest level. Additionally there are many coaches out there at different levels that only played HS ball.

Barrow can run this defense if he dont understand what offense are trying to do Seattle wouldn't have never came calling. UKnow we appreciate all the info that you distribute out and your son is surrounded by a lot of talent, the only concern would be at the defensive back position.

I honestly learned 99% of the stuff I currently know from coaching... not playing.

Most coaches just tell you what to do and where to be, they don't tell you why. That's why players don't learn the details of defense. They learn techniques and they learn basics but that's about it. Most players don't know crap, they just do what their coach is asking (or coaching) them to do.

That's why I'll take a guy that has coached 15 years but only played ball in college ...over a guy who's only coached 5 years but played 15 in the NFL. More learning is done when you're coaching.
Shaq was lucky... His coaches taught him why... They would even give him a series to call his own plays..then quizz him afterwards on his decisions...When Coach Richt visited his HS...he went to the board..and drew up the way he ran 3-4 and 4-3 defenses then asked Shaq if it made sense to him.. And to confirm it made sense...Shaq replied with yes and was able to explain the similarities of the defense they ran..to both of the Defs. Richt was surprised and impressed at the same time... Shaq is my child and is football saavy...but i know he is not the only one who picked up what he was taught... Watching film and being on the field are two very different vantage points... and if you haven't seen the game from all the vantage points then your teaching is simply theory not of practical application. .. Barrow knows all the vantages of linebacking...If had to survive on the surface of Mars for one day...I would rather take me lesson from the guy who survived for two days rarher than the rocket scientist with 50 years of theoretical studies of survival on Mars

Advertisement

Shaq was lucky... His coaches taught him why... They would even give him a series to call his own plays..then quizz him afterwards on his decisions...When Coach Richt visited his HS...he went to the board..and drew up the way he ran 3-4 and 4-3 defenses then asked Shaq if it made sense to him.. And to confirm it made sense...Shaq replied with yes and was able to explain the similarities of the defense they ran..to both of the Defs. Richt was surprised and impressed at the same time... Shaq is my child and is football saavy...but i know he is not the only one who picked up what he was taught... Watching film and being on the field are two very different vantage points... and if you haven't seen the game from all the vantage points then your teaching is simply theory not of practical application. .. Barrow knows all the vantages of linebacking...If had to survive on the surface of Mars for one day...I would rather take me lesson from the guy who survived for two days rarher than the rocket scientist with 50 years of theoretical studies of survival on Mars

This x 1000

Coach I tend to agree that often coaches don't explain the why, but in our case that had a lot to do with how much time we had with the kids. Since within our youth football program we often taught in a building block approach you'd find that different kids had attained different levels of football knowledge, which also determined what you could teach. Anyway, I don't think coaching is all theoretical or that playing is all practical sans the theory. Ideally as a player or coach you'd have a good mixture of both, but I tend to believe it is much more important as a coach to understand the why. Also, and I know you already know this, kids are wired differently. Some kids are more cerebral than others and want to know the why while other kids could careless so long as what you're telling them is going to lead them to the ball carrier and the team to victory.

Excellently stated. Sort of in a similar way, I read an article this past year where Green Bay's head coach, who happens to be a great offensive minded coach, did something similar with his defense during the past off season. He started attending GB Defensive meetings regularly and quizzed the defense consistently about Green Bay offensive plays/film, but most importantly he was trying to teach his defense about Aaron Rodgers mental approach to play calling and defense attacking. It is one thing to watch film, but another to get into Aaron Rodgers mindset, arguably one of the brainiest QBs out there today. By the way, GB's defense has been much better this year.

As it relates to the DC, Mr. Richt will soon decide on his choice. Mr. Richt, with his expansive football knowledge, will decide on who the best candidate is and choose accordingly. Our jobs are to support Mr. Richt and our Team.

Shaq is a great player and person and we are very happy to have him be part of the "U" Family!!

Advertisement

That may be the case for you, but there are countless guys who get really into the Xs and Os while they play. It's just a matter of context. There are guys who didn't play at a high level and still have an incredible feel for schemes, techniques, etc. There are also guys I know who played at incredibly high levels and just "did a job." Lots of different situations.

Last edited:

That may be the case for you, but there are countless guys who get really into the Xs and Os while they play. It's just a matter of context. There are guys who didn't play at a high level and still have an incredible feel for schemes, techniques, etc. There are also guys I know who played at incredibly high levels and just "did a job." Lots of different situations.
I agree 100 percent. .. Hearing Ray Lewis talk...i know ..he knows ..what he know...don't think he could teach it to others... I think Barrow can and I think Ed Reed can also..

In Regards To Barrow...

JC

I agree with you but Pruitt's first time being a DC was at fsu

Seattles LBs have been shaky this year. Their whole defense is way worse despite the same personnel and same scheme. I wouldn't be crowning Barrow.

Advertisement
Back