Miami v. Iowa State - Sweet 16

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not feeling confident tbh
Appreciate your honesty. Agree with other posters who’ve said a lot confidence on any side at this point is silly. I’m thrilled we’ve made it this far.

That said if I had to pick I would pick Miami at this point. I think we matchup favorably again vs ISU, and while I expect to be extremely ****ed off 5-8 times this game I think Miami will win.

Confidence however, is in short supply.

Appreciate your honesty. Agree with other posters who’ve said a lot confidence on any side at this point is silly. I’m thrilled we’ve made it this far.

That said if I had to pick I would pick Miami at this point. I think we matchup favorably again vs ISU, and while I expect to be extremely ****ed off 5-8 times this game I think Miami will win.

Confidence however, is in short supply.
In my lifetime (nearly 30) we have made the sweet sixteen 5 times. One of those years was an elite eight with Marcus Fizer and Jamal Tinsley. If it was one of our teams from Hoiberg Era I would be 100% confident in a W, because we had so many clutch dudes. This team is fun to watch, and we can be clutch sometimes... However, our freshman PG and Gabe K essentially having career games in back to back games worries me that we used up our magic already. I would love to be wrong, but it's year 1 in a rebuild. We have one returning starter from last years 2 win team on the roster, and even he didn't get much play last year. I expect us to bring the heat defensively, but we've also had 3's rained on us before. I think ISU has a shot if Miami is suddenly sub 20% from 3pt range, but that's where I draw the line.

Advertisement
In my lifetime (nearly 30) we have made the sweet sixteen 5 times. One of those years was an elite eight with Marcus Fizer and Jamal Tinsley. If it was one of our teams from Hoiberg Era I would be 100% confident in a W, because we had so many clutch dudes. This team is fun to watch, and we can be clutch sometimes... However, our freshman PG and Gabe K essentially having career games in back to back games worries me that we used up our magic already. I would love to be wrong, but it's year 1 in a rebuild. We have one returning starter from last years 2 win team on the roster, and even he didn't get much play last year. I expect us to bring the heat defensively, but we've also had 3's rained on us before. I think ISU has a shot if Miami is suddenly sub 20% from 3pt range, but that's where I draw the line.
Well, we’re shooting a robust 14% from 3 so far in the tournament. I’m hoping that can’t continue into the game Friday night.

2 wins all year? Seriously?

This game gives me some trepidation. We have found a way to win with playing a backcourt steal it in your face attack. ISU seems to have done that as well. I come into this game with the highest respect for them,

That being said I’m going to call this for Miami to win … been pretty good when I make the call so far. GO CANES !

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami went something like 1 / game from 3 in both tourney games

Advertisement
I would much rather have played Wisconsin. Iowa St is similar to UVa and USC.

They slow the game down, play tough D, and are efficient in transition. This is a tough matchup for us, no question. I expect a low-scoring, close game. We'll need to shoot better to beat them
Actually, Wisconsin is similar to UVA. They don't turn the ball over which is important for us playing scramble. Iowa State does not have a board advantage and they turn it over more. Wisconsin was 2 of 22 from 3 against Iowa State with 17 turnovers. Iowa State had 14 turnovers.

Actually, Wisconsin is similar to UVA. They don't turn the ball over which is important for us playing scramble. Iowa State does not have a board advantage and they turn it over more. Wisconsin was 2 of 22 from 3 against Iowa State with 17 turnovers. Iowa State had 14 turnovers.
Nailed it. The Big 10 version of UVA. Hepburn getting hurt killed them.

Iowa St is a far better D than Wisconsin though. And we'd be playing a Wisky team without their PG and with Johnny Davis playing hurt. Wisky closed the year losing to Nebraska, dropping Game 1 in the BTT, and narrowly beating Colgate. Our guards would carve them up and without Hepburn they'd have struggled with our traps.

Agree with what you said about Iowa St, but they're going to force us to play at their tempo just like UVa did. If we actually shoot decent though, then I like our chances

Advertisement
Back