MIAMI (fav +24) vs ST FRANCIS 6:30) TODAY ACCN -hope we dont get luckie

Advertisement
Interesting give-and-take about refs and the effect on play style as well as certain results. Cannot disagree that CANES "scramble" play can get bolluxed by an aggressive ref... like Jamie Luckie ( happened twice this month)

Was wondering if CANEs are especially targeted, as it seems to some currently posting. Found that Mr. Luckie has widespread complaints (see below) anyway hope we get lucky but not luckie
View attachment 216199

In games with Jamie Lucky we have had 17, 18, and 21 team fouls.

In games without Jamie Lucky we have had 13, 13, and 8 team fouls.

And GET THIS - in EVERY SINGLE GAME officiated by Jamie Lucky we have been called for more fouls than our opponent.

And we have not been called for more fouls than our opponent in ANY game where Lucky wasn’t on the officiating crew.

Wow

You think we can get into the Top 25 if we beat UCF, or do we need to win against Rutgers too, to start showing up in the polls?

Advertisement
You think we can get into the Top 25 if we beat UCF, or do we need to win against Rutgers too, to start showing up in the polls?
We are literally 33rd and 34th now in the 2 main polls. UCF & Rutgers aren't the type of wins that would vault us much, unless 8-9 "teen" teams above us have a loss, so somewhat unlikely.

We need to string together at least 5 more in a row to possibly get ranked.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This freshmen class is going to be fun to watch. Casey already is a good defender and rebounder, and it looks like he has a great basketball IQ. Watson is super long and athletic. Aire is a little raw but he’s shown promise. Danilo hasn’t played enough to get a read on him yet, but he’s bigger than I expected.

Started off slow but picked up the energy & pulled away towards the end of the 1st half.

Pack had his best game shooting 69% from the floor & 50% from 3. He played a lot better than he has thus far this season & showed the potential of what he can do as he continues to get more comfortable & finds his groove in the system.

Omier with another workman’s game with 13pts 10 rebs 4stls & 1blk while shooting 66% from the floor.

Poplar had a good game as well, played well Defensively & can make in impact when he gets out in transition.

AJ Casey had a good game as well, especially on Defense. Playing in the role of a Rim protector & interior defender actually seems to fit him quite well. I’d actually like to see a rotation at some point with both Casey & Omier on the court at the same time, although I realize that likely won’t happen too often because foul issues.

Would also like to see Watson get some more minutes in prime games, he’s a fluid athlete who can create his own shot & score, he could be a solid weapon for us to spell for guys like Joseph or Beverly.

Last edited:
Started off slow but picked up the energy & pulled away towards the end of the 1st half.

Pack had his best game shooting 69% from the floor & 50% from 3. He played a lot better than he has thus far this season & showed the potential of what he can do as he continues to get more comfortable & finds his groove in the system.

Omier with another workman’s game with 13pts 10 rebs 4stls & 1blk while shooting 66% from the floor.

Poplar had a good game as well, played well Defensively & can make in impact when he gets out in transition.

AJ Casey had a good game as well, especially on Defense. Playing in the role of a Rim protector & interior defender actually seems to fit him quite well, I’d actually like to see a rotation at some point with both Casey & Omier on the court at the same time, although I realize hat likely won’t happen too often because foul issues.

Would also like to see Watson get some more minutes in prime games, he’s a fluid athlete who can creat his own shot & score, he could be a solid weapon for us to spell for guys like Joseph or Beverly.
Great points. It looked like we had Pack playing mostly off the ball, while Wong and Joseph were the primary point guards/distributors.

Agreed about Watson, I’d like to see him work his way into the rotation a bit more. Beverly looked super stiff and slow tonight. Not sure if it’s his back bothering him again or what, but if that continues, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Watson start to take his minutes.

Advertisement
Great points. It looked like we had Pack playing mostly off the ball, while Wong and Joseph were the primary point guards/distributors.

Agreed about Watson, I’d like to see him work his way into the rotation a bit more. Beverly looked super stiff and slow tonight. Not sure if it’s his back bothering him again or what, but if that continues, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Watson start to take his minutes.
Watson needs to play more, Beverly could only give us 5-7 minutes a night. Can’t really count on him at this point.

Watson needs to play more, Beverly could only give us 5-7 minutes a night. Can’t really count on him at this point.
I think the best we can hope for with Beverly is to come in and give a few spot minutes a game, playing tough D and (hopefully) not commit turnovers. He’s clearly not 100%, and likely won’t ever be.

Maybe, but doubtful.

Maryland is currently 23rd with Purdue & Iowa right behind them; all 3 are really good B1G teams.

UCLA & Kentucky still being in the top 25 is bizarre (but also typical), although I would guess when the next AP rankings come out they may drop, but who knows...

We probably won’t crack the top 25 until after we play & hopefully beat NC ST next month.

I suppose if we beat both UCF & Rutgers while also going on 5 game winning streak leading up to the NC ST game we could be ranked in the top 25 by then, but, either way it won’t really matter as long as we win.

Rankings in CBB aren’t really that important until around Jan-Feb & even then they don’t really mean that much.

- Indiana was 21-14 (9-11 in B1G play) last year & they were an 11th seed, unranked
- Marquette was 19-13 (11-8 in BIg East play) & they were a 9th seed, unranked
- TCU was 21-13 (8-10 in Big XII play) & they were a 9th seed, unranked
- Michigan was 19-15 (11-9 in B1G play) & they were an 11th seed, unranked

**** even teams like VA Tech, Seton Hall & Iowa ST made the tourney last year & none of them were ranked or had good records in conference play.

Advertisement
Back