Manny Diaz linebacker recruiting

It's refreshing to see how Diaz targets LBs. He's already offered Gregory Rousseau, Patrick Joyner and Ashtan Pierre, none of whom play LB in high school. He's going after athletic beasts and trusting his ability to coach them.

Shannon was the opposite. He wanted ready-made LBs like Glenn Cook. Shannon didn't even offer Ryan Shazier because he played DE in high school. Golden recruited the hybrids but didn't know what to do with them.

Diaz really understands South Florida athletes and how to use them.

Which means he is recruiting speed. Taking a page from Jimmy's book. A 1am post? I like it!

Advertisement
It's refreshing to see how Diaz targets LBs. He's already offered Gregory Rousseau, Patrick Joyner and Ashtan Pierre, none of whom play LB in high school. He's going after athletic beasts and trusting his ability to coach them.

Shannon was the opposite. He wanted ready-made LBs like Glenn Cook. Shannon didn't even offer Ryan Shazier because he played DE in high school. Golden recruited the hybrids but didn't know what to do with them.

His work as LB coach last year was nothing short of miraculous. Folden recruited him 3 beasts, but I've never seen a college team start 3 true freshmans LBs in the 75 years I've been following college football closely.

75? Holy ******* **** I would have never guessed that. When I grow up I want to be just like you.

Kind of reminds you of some of the early Cane tactics Hurra mentioned, Jimmy.

Recruiting wise our safeties look like they can play corner. Our linebackers are safeties. Our defensive ends are lean quick rushers, 3Ts are being recruited as ends at a lot of places. Not sure how nose will be recruited and if we'll ever go after the mammoths or if we'll stay around the "smaller" 300 pounders like Norton. Either way our defense is going to be fast as ****.

Last edited:
Kind of reminds you of some of the early Cane tactics Hurrca mentioned, Jimmy.

Recruiting wise our safeties look like they can play corner. Our linebackers are safeties. Our defensive ends are lean quick rushers, 3Ts are being recruited as ends at a lot of places. Not sure how nose will be recruited and if we'll ever go after the mammoths or if we'll stay around the "smaller" 300 pounders like Norton. Either way our defense is going to be fast as ****.

This. The next question becomes can we develop dominant DT's like we did in our hey day? Which is incredibly difficult.

The irony is he did such a great job with three true freshman ready linebackers, and kept Steed, who is another traditional LB who committed before. And he's going away from that. Got to trust him and his system though, but it's interesting.

Advertisement

His work as LB coach last year was nothing short of miraculous. Folden recruited him 3 beasts, but I've never seen a college team start 3 true freshmans LBs in the 75 years I've been following college football closely.

add to it....get a kid like Mike Smith....A GUY THIS whole BOARD basically wanted cut/dropped to play like a legitimate starting acc linebacker coming off the bench. Mike Smith wasn't thinking just playing...he would legitimately start at most acc schools not named Clemson/FSU.

I think you can be a huge fan of M. Diaz as a coach and still be unsure of how he evaluates and recruis LBs. The three frosh last year were handed to him by Golden. His recent class includes kids many are unsold on. Time will tell. Sherwood and Reese seem like solid prospects and complimentary kids, IMO. Rousseau I just do not see in a drop back and cover role, personally. That isnt a knock on Manny, just a guess as to how he will end up being used. We will see.

75? Holy ******* **** I would have never guessed that. When I grow up I want to be just like you.

75 years of following closely. I'm a bubbly 87 years old now.

I think you can be a huge fan of M. Diaz as a coach and still be unsure of how he evaluates and recruis LBs. The three frosh last year were handed to him by Golden. His recent class includes kids many are unsold on. Time will tell. Sherwood and Reese seem like solid prospects and complimentary kids, IMO. Rousseau I just do not see in a drop back and cover role, personally. That isnt a knock on Manny, just a guess as to how he will end up being used. We will see.
His LB recruiting is an unknown at this point. I love Steed and like Jennings. But neither has played. I like that Diaz understands and embraces what Miami football is all about with speed and playing downhill. If his recruiting matches his knowledge of what makes UM football tick, then we should be happy.

Advertisement

75? Holy ****ing **** I would have never guessed that. When I grow up I want to be just like you.

75 years of following closely. I'm a bubbly 87 years old now.

To be that age and as sharp as you are is really impressive. Usually, you're the voice of reason on this site and run circles on many posters. Not to mention, the class clown of the site. We can all only hope to reach your status. Salute.

Dmoney with the hat trick of threads since 12:49 this morning. Impressive stuff, and thanks for the effort.

I've got two young kids, need to take what I can get.

Pete and Marrero keeping you up?

1126.gif

I just don't get posters sometimes. First off No top LB in the 2017 was going to come here because A. The starters are all Freshman. B. The backups are all upper classman.

All 3 linebackers in the 2017 class will all probably redshirt but should be Beast in 2018 and 2019.

But another thing, what is up with Cane Fans. It's like y'all expect every recruit to be a stud from Day 1.

We shouldn't be recruiting players that aren't expected to be a stud.

You mean like how Pickney was an overlooked 3 star?

I'm starting to put Astcloud11 in that boat of porsters who just type whatever and hope it sticks.

Advertisement
I'm iffy on his linebacker recruiting after the 17 class none seem like they will ever be starters for us

Why????
. Sneed seems to have some potential but Jennings has some of the worst film I've seen wilders film wasnt great either
What?.... you think neither of Jennings or wilders film is not good? Stay off the drugs man
Savage SZN #Senior Highlights - Bradley Jennings highlights - Hudl
Jennings is an aggressive, hard hitting linebacker with good size. People just be saying anything on here.... Jennings had very good films as a senior
And wilder is a speed demon in the mold of jermaine grace but more explosive imo

Last edited:
Advertisement

add to it....get a kid like Mike Smith....A GUY THIS whole BOARD basically wanted cut/dropped to play like a legitimate starting acc linebacker coming off the bench. Mike Smith wasn't thinking just playing...he would legitimately start at most acc schools not named Clemson/FSU.

And Smith was coming off a major injury like Owens and was a little out of shape-over weight.I expect him to be in much better shape this season and take his game to another level.Our LB crew should be lights out this season.

I'm iffy on his linebacker recruiting after the 17 class none seem like they will ever be starters for us

Why????
. Sneed seems to have some potential but Jennings has some of the worst film I've seen wilders film wasnt great either
What?.... you think neither of Jennings or wilders film is not good? Stay off the drugs man
Savage SZN #Senior Highlights - Bradley Jennings highlights - Hudl
Jennings is an aggressive, hard hitting linebacker with good size. People just be saying anything on here.... Jennings had very good films as a senior
And wilder is a speed demon in the mold of jermaine grace but more explosive imo

Couldnt agree more. I love those 2 guys. Jennings is a natural at the position and i dont understand how anyone cant love Wilders athleticism and aggressiveness.

Advertisement
Back