Looking very good for a vaccine so we can enjoy sports

Advertisement
Any guinea pigs in here planning to get it?
No.
Even though NJ just missed the C19 Triple Crown:

15,941 reported deaths (#2)
179.5 deaths per 100,000 people (#1)
8.4 percent death rate (#2)

Who knows how these stats were compiled but unless you're compromised in some way, I don't see why you would need the vaccine, especially in states (or areas within the state) that were not hit as hard in "deaths per" and "death rate".

Florida, aka "Summer Poster Boy for Covid", stats:

49.4 deaths per 100,000 people (#16)
1.7 percent death rate (#36)

Last edited:
They'll likely use Active Duty as the first large test bed for whichever vaccine is pushed through the FDA. Because you know, we got that Tricare Prime to fall back on if a 2nd ***** starts growing on our foreheads a week after getting the vaccine. VA will probably determine it's a pre-existing condition when I retire though.

I jest, but DoD will probably be on the short list.
Would ****heads be covered? :ROFLMAO:

They'll likely use Active Duty as the first large test bed for whichever vaccine is pushed through the FDA. Because you know, we got that Tricare Prime to fall back on if a 2nd ***** starts growing on our foreheads a week after getting the vaccine. VA will probably determine it's a pre-existing condition when I retire though.

I jest, but DoD will probably be on the short list.
I'd think front line healthcare workers would be near the top.

Advertisement
Military and healthcare workers don't have much of a choice.
Exactly. The list of vaccinations I've received over 17 years is about 3 pages, front and back. Anthrax booster is just a random Tuesday once a year for me.

You're right about health care workers too, but DoD can just tell us to shut up and color.

The Tuskegee Airmen certainly didn’t.
Do you mean the Tuskegee study? The Tuskegee Study didn't involve the military. It was conducted by the U.S. Public Health Service which was declared part of the military in 1945, 13 years after the study started.

And things have changed a tad since 1932. If you've listened to Adm Giroir about Covid, he's in charge of the PHS now.

Advertisement
Do you mean the Tuskegee study? The Tuskegee Study didn't involve the military. It was conducted by the U.S. Public Health Service which was declared part of the military in 1945, 13 years after the study started.

And things have changed a tad since 1932. If you've listened to Adm Giroir about Covid, he's in charge of the PHS now.

A tad. Agreed.

Run.

Advertisement
If it is effective as the flu vaccine it's still about a 50/50 chance.
Having effective therapeutics probably a better play.

We have influenza vaccines and Tamiflu is still in wide use.

Let’s revisit this post in November-December

for sure. Moderna and Oxford vaccine p3 results should be in next month and Pfizer p3 results soon after that. They’re all showing real good efficacy and there will no doubt be fast track approval if all the boxes are checked. Those vaccines are all being manufactured already.

Advertisement
flu vaccine isn’t very effective - last year’s vaccine was not even 30% efficacy. Covid vaccine is expected to be close to 90%. That’s a big difference. Having said that, given that only half this country would probably want the vaccine, I agree that therapeutics will also be key in this ****nal

flu vaccine isn’t very effective - last year’s vaccine was not even 30% efficacy. Covid vaccine is expected to be close to 90%. That’s a big difference. Having said that, given that only half this country would probably want the vaccine, I agree that therapeutics will also be key in this ****nal

Assuming three manufacturers have perfectly viable vaccines in Nov/Dec, probability close to zero btw, how many doses will be ready for distribution by then?

You actually think this will have any kind of impact this year?

Assuming three manufacturers have perfectly viable vaccines in Nov/Dec, probability close to zero btw, how many doses will be ready for distribution by then?

You actually think this will have any kind of impact this year?

the vaccines are already being manufactured. We will easily have 100s of millions of doses ready to go within a few months. Distribution is another matter. Of course all this impossible to predict but I’m fairly confident we’ll have a perfectly viable vaccine in 2-3 months. Like I said, Oxford and moderna both have a great shot at that - as long as their p3 results come back as expected.

Advertisement
Back