LF Derek Williams (Wichita State) commits to Miami

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The Canes added a much-needed bat to its lineup with the transfer of Wichita State LF Derek Williams. The 6', 210 lbs. righty, who originally hails from St. Louis, put up a .318/.425/.615 slash line for the Shockers last year and finished third in the AAC in home runs with 14. Williams spent his first two years at the JUCO level, where he hit 41 home runs combined at Mineral Area JC and Florida Southwestern.

Williams joins OF Bobby Marsh (Penn State), RHP Griffin...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
If Dorian comes back to school and Jimenez can be closer to what he was projected to be and how he played at the end of the year.. we will have a formidable offense. Still have room to add a good bat at 1B and C and make it more potent.

Bullpen looks to be coming along and will be solid and have significantly more proven depth.

Catcher and starting rotation still have to be addressed.

The Canes added a much-needed bat to its lineup with the transfer of Wichita State LF Derek Williams. The 6', 210 lbs. righty, who originally hails from St. Louis, put up a .318/.425/.615 slash line for the Shockers last year and finished third in the AAC in home runs with 14. Williams spent his first two years at the JUCO level, where he hit 41 home runs combined at Mineral Area JC and Florida Southwestern.

Williams joins OF Bobby Marsh (Penn State), RHP Griffin Hugus (Cincinnati), RHP Will Smith (Coastal Carolina), LHP Robert Evans and RHP Carson Fischer (Davenport) in Miami's Portal class, with more to come.

Are there some names that cant be announced yet?

If Dorian comes back to school and Jimenez can be closer to what he was projected to be and how he played at the end of the year.. we will have a formidable offense. Still have room to add a good bat at 1B and C and make it more potent.

Bullpen looks to be coming along and will be solid and have significantly more proven depth.

Catcher and starting rotation still have to be addressed.
Williams could end up being your 1B depending on how things shake out. Looks like he played there some in JUCO. From Wichita: "played in 52 games, splitting time between left field, first base and designated hitter."

Advertisement
Still a lot needed but I’m remaining optimistic. It still comes down to this staff taking these newer additions and taking them to that next level and getting them ready for the ACC.

I’d say shift Cuvet to 1B if you can go find yourself a more athletic bigger bodied Ss to play 3B or just simply a better 3B.

We need at least 1. If time rotation arm and then kids like McCausland could do Saturday/Sunday if somehow Herick or Rafe came back (unlikely) that would be good too. That big LhP from Mich St is at Clemson this weekend. So he’s prob off the market.

Nice addition from the….

IMG_6260.gif

Welcome to the U!!!

Advertisement
This is one I wanted in the portal as well.

He’s a St. Louis kid. Went to a small school so he had to go Juco.

Then he went down to Florida for second year Juco and killed it.

Swings with bad intentions so batted ball data is strong, but doesn’t make enough of it (contact).

Pretty physical kid, but in a slow pitch softball way. Fast when he gets going.

Bottom line: the kid is going to strike out a ton, but makes up for it with hard contact. Also has a knack for getting hit by pitch. That’s a very sticky stat and he did it all the way back to high school.

This year, against P4 teams + Long Beach State + East Carolina he hit well. I like to look at how they did against better clubs because even if it’s a midweek starter, you’ll see the bullpen arms of good clubs.

He hit:

.316/.429/.579 with 6 doubles, 3 HR’s, 5 BB, 7 HBP, 20 K’s in 57 at bats.

.455 batting average on balls in play in that sample is fortunate, but shows the power as well.

Kid is going to K 60+ times here, and doesn’t play much defense, but he’s a stick.

This is one I wanted in the portal as well.

He’s a St. Louis kid. Went to a small school so he had to go Juco.

Then he went down to Florida for second year Juco and killed it.

Swings with bad intentions so batted ball data is strong, but doesn’t make enough of it (contact).

Pretty physical kid, but in a slow pitch softball way. Fast when he gets going.

Bottom line: the kid is going to strike out a ton, but makes up for it with hard contact. Also has a knack for getting hit by pitch. That’s a very sticky stat and he did it all the way back to high school.

This year, against P4 teams + Long Beach State + East Carolina he hit well. I like to look at how they did against better clubs because even if it’s a midweek starter, you’ll see the bullpen arms of good clubs.

He hit:

.316/.429/.579 with 6 doubles, 3 HR’s, 5 BB, 7 HBP, 20 K’s in 57 at bats.

.455 batting average on balls in play in that sample is fortunate, but shows the power as well.

Kid is going to K 60+ times here, and doesn’t play much defense, but he’s a stick.
What are your thoughts on Lapour his teammate?

Advertisement
Let me break it down to Cane Nation like this, Derek Williams is a chameleon…he adapts to what’s er environment he’s in. A gifted academic/athlete…He came from a small high school where he broke State HR records, but he’s been hitting HRs since Little league and elite travel leagues his whole life! He’s got well over 100 homers in travel and youth ball…He won the Home Run Derby on his summer league team hitting 20 bombs to kill the comp, could have hit more…He’s hit 55 Homers in his last 3 seasons (2Juco 1 Wichita State) but he’s not just a strong bat, **** No!! He’s a utility player, sure he played LF and 1st base, but he was an excellent pitcher in HS too! The Wichita Coach messed up the last month of this season making him a DH…Derek is no DH…He’s a DM…Difference Maker! You don’t take a thoroughbred off the track and make it pull buggies around town, you don’t put a 5’8 175 lb replacement in LF either! Lol. Derek has a rocket arm! From the wall to home he can throw a runner out…he thickened up lifting to get more power, but he’s got plenty of power being trim, that’s what he’s doing now. He was the QB on his HS football team. 4.5 speed!!! In only 24 games, he had over 4500 yds of offense and 50’TDs!! Not to mention he was the FG kicker and extra point kicker! Leader in assist in basketball!! This young man can play any position, he’s played against the best pitching his whole life in elite leagues. Some haters thought he’d go to D1 Wichita State and bomb…(coming from two yes of JUCO hitting 41 homers…Nope He excelled! Hitting pitchers from UVA, Kansas, K-State. ECU and Iowa. If Coach J.D. Arteaga plays his cards right…Derek will be a top defender at any position and a solid 3,4,5 Spot. This kid is a Lamborghini. You don’t keep a Lambo in the garage to look at, you Redline him every game! And to the fella on this thread who said Derek was great in a softball kinda way and said he would strike out 60+ times…I got a Benjamin that says your dead wrong. No offense … Derek is a no nonsense leader on the field and off. There is no goofing around in him. He want to win, he wants his teammates to win and he wants to go PRO…like many of you. It’s been his dream since he took his first breath. I’m an old youth coach of his…I’ve seen him play every sport, at a high level. He’s a winner. He’s super stoked to be at the U…so get excited Cane Nation! You can call him “DWILL” Let’s Go!!!!!
1719433683656.gif

Advertisement
Let me break it down to Cane Nation like this, Derek Williams is a chameleon…he adapts to what’s er environment he’s in. A gifted academic/athlete…He came from a small high school where he broke State HR records, but he’s been hitting HRs since Little league and elite travel leagues his whole life! He’s got well over 100 homers in travel and youth ball…He won the Home Run Derby on his summer league team hitting 20 bombs to kill the comp, could have hit more…He’s hit 55 Homers in his last 3 seasons (2Juco 1 Wichita State) but he’s not just a strong bat, **** No!! He’s a utility player, sure he played LF and 1st base, but he was an excellent pitcher in HS too! The Wichita Coach messed up the last month of this season making him a DH…Derek is no DH…He’s a DM…Difference Maker! You don’t take a thoroughbred off the track and make it pull buggies around town, you don’t put a 5’8 175 lb replacement in LF either! Lol. Derek has a rocket arm! From the wall to home he can throw a runner out…he thickened up lifting to get more power, but he’s got plenty of power being trim, that’s what he’s doing now. He was the QB on his HS football team. 4.5 speed!!! In only 24 games, he had over 4500 yds of offense and 50’TDs!! Not to mention he was the FG kicker and extra point kicker! Leader in assist in basketball!! This young man can play any position, he’s played against the best pitching his whole life in elite leagues. Some haters thought he’d go to D1 Wichita State and bomb…(coming from two yes of JUCO hitting 41 homers…Nope He excelled! Hitting pitchers from UVA, Kansas, K-State. ECU and Iowa. If Coach J.D. Arteaga plays his cards right…Derek will be a top defender at any position and a solid 3,4,5 Spot. This kid is a Lamborghini. You don’t keep a Lambo in the garage to look at, you Redline him every game! And to the fella on this thread who said Derek was great in a softball kinda way and said he would strike out 60+ times…I got a Benjamin that says your dead wrong. No offense … Derek is a no nonsense leader on the field and off. There is no goofing around in him. He want to win, he wants his teammates to win and he wants to go PRO…like many of you. It’s been his dream since he took his first breath. I’m an old youth coach of his…I’ve seen him play every sport, at a high level. He’s a winner. He’s super stoked to be at the U…so get excited Cane Nation! You can call him “DWILL” Let’s Go!!!!!
I appreciate your passion and look forward to rooting him on!

Advertisement
Back