LF Derek Williams (Wichita State) commits to Miami

View as article
His rapid fire 14 post barrage was the mist excitement we have seen in a while. I will take it!
Lol - do we have an Asst Coaching position available? JD would probably put him in timeout. Love the endorsement though and the bar being set high.

Who knows, he may be the best of our transfers given his performances vs good competition.

Advertisement
Lol - do we have an Asst Coaching position available? JD would probably put him in timeout. Love the endorsement though and the bar being set high.

Who knows, he may be the best of our transfers given his performances vs good competition.
That’s what I was trying to convey!! Lol get excited. Y’all really don’t need me to tell you about him. He will do that in his play. But so many things were said that wasn’t accurate. Not bad. Just not accurate. DWILL will help bring back some swagger to Miami. Ya don’t have to be from.Florida to bring in swagger. Lol. Good luck. I’m not sorry for the barrage. Or the excitement. I want Cane Nation to get excited and pumped for 2025. Peace. I’m out

I now expect him to be a RH Darin Erstad and will settle for nothing less.
PS…if any of you want to know any more about DWILL. Go follow his Twitter or you can ask me. Is he the greatest of all time? Umm no…that’s Jesus! (Bar set high) lol. But with your freshman phenom 3rd baseman. And a few more studs added, y’all should be fine. Now I don’t know about your pitching …hopefully Coach Arteaga is getting some great arms. I hate Tommy Lapour went to TCU. He was lights out. Let’s go Canes. After all, y’all are my new favorite college team since DWILL is there now!

Advertisement
That’s what I was trying to convey!! Lol get excited. Y’all really don’t need me to tell you about him. He will do that in his play. But so many things were said that wasn’t accurate. Not bad. Just not accurate. DWILL will help bring back some swagger to Miami. Ya don’t have to be from.Florida to bring in swagger. Lol. Good luck. I’m not sorry for the barrage. Or the excitement. I want Cane Nation to get excited and pumped for 2025. Peace. I’m out
No reason to be out. We're just gun shy after so many disappointments the last few years. Love the intensity - join us next year, hopefully, crowing about DWILL.

PS…if any of you want to know any more about DWILL. Go follow his Twitter or you can ask me. Is he the greatest of all time? Umm no…that’s Jesus! (Bar set high) lol. But with your freshman phenom 3rd baseman. And a few more studs added, y’all should be fine. Now I don’t know about your pitching …hopefully Coach Arteaga is getting some great arms. I hate Tommy Lapour went to TCU. He was lights out. Let’s go Canes. After all, y’all are my new favorite college team since DWILL is there now!
For sure. All seriousness, absolutely excited about the kid; going to have to forgive us in here though, the sly runs high but we pull for our boys just the same. Glad he’s aboard and looking forward to watching the leader you’ve stated him to be.

No reason to be out. We're just gun shy after so many disappointments the last few years. Love the intensity - join us next year, hopefully, crowing about DWILL.
Thank you. This old coach isn’t out…just passing info and will be an avid JAFO. (JUST ANOTHER F’ING OBSERVER) lol. I’m glad to join him with you all…new blood is good for infusions. Lol. I’ve had my share of losing seasons and my share of championships. Sux to lose. I understand gun-shy. However, after coaching as long as I have, I’ve come to enjoy the grind…adversity begets travesty or triumph. I strive for the triumph. So….well wishes for TRIUMPH for the Canes! Let’s go!

Last edited:
For sure. All seriousness, absolutely excited about the kid; going to have to forgive us in here though, the sly runs high but we pull for our boys just the same. Glad he’s aboard and looking forward to watching the leader you’ve stated him to be.
Absolutely. So you can see from my perspective …my som in the 3rd grade was the fastest runner in his grade..so I thought. At field day…at the end of 3rd grade, a dark kinda long haired kid blew off the lines when the starter pistol went off for the 50’yd dash and later in the 100 yd dash. This kid (Derek) beat 12 of the fastest kids by 10-15 yds…I was like…who is this kid? His dad looked over at me and said he’s mine and laughed. I said, I’m coaching the 4th grade basketball team in the fall, could he play on my team? The rest was history…in baseball basketball and football, he beat all players on every team as the high scorer …mvp’s in everything. Never ****y…but a fierce competitor. If he knocked an opponent down, if the time was permitting, he’d offer a helping hand. He’s played at the highest levels in elite leagues his whole life. He and my son became great pals. AMA I was fortunate enough to coach him and then later be a fam of that long haired bolt of lightning. Will he make any mistakes. **** yes. I’m not dillusional. Lol. He has flaws as we all do. But I’ll tell the Miami coaches and all of you great fans here. You won’t see a an athlete with as much focus, passion and talent. A gentleman athlete that makes his team feel like they can win any game any day. That’s what he brings. I’ve seen it for 13-14 years now. His track record of over achieving keeps moving forward. He came from a small school with a big head and our motto we taught all our kids was “Prove em wrong and Why not us! And I say to Miami. Why not the Hurricanes??

Advertisement
Absolutely. So you can see from my perspective …my som in the 3rd grade was the fastest runner in his grade..so I thought. At field day…at the end of 3rd grade, a dark kinda long haired kid blew off the lines when the starter pistol went off for the 50’yd dash and later in the 100 yd dash. This kid (Derek) beat 12 of the fastest kids by 10-15 yds…I was like…who is this kid? His dad looked over at me and said he’s mine and laughed. I said, I’m coaching the 4th grade basketball team in the fall, could he play on my team? The rest was history…in baseball basketball and football, he beat all players on every team as the high scorer …mvp’s in everything. Never ****y…but a fierce competitor. If he knocked an opponent down, if the time was permitting, he’d offer a helping hand. He’s played at the highest levels in elite leagues his whole life. He and my son became great pals. AMA I was fortunate enough to coach him and then later be a fam of that long haired bolt of lightning. Will he make any mistakes. **** yes. I’m not dillusional. Lol. He has flaws as we all do. But I’ll tell the Miami coaches and all of you great fans here. You won’t see a an athlete with as much focus, passion and talent. A gentleman athlete that makes his team feel like they can win any game any day. That’s what he brings. I’ve seen it for 13-14 years now. His track record of over achieving keeps moving forward. He came from a small school with a big heart and our motto we taught all our kids was “Prove em wrong and Why not us! And I say to Miami. Why not the Hurricanes??
Small school with a big heart…lol

Last edited:
Absolutely. So you can see from my perspective …my son, in the 3rd grade was the fastest runner in his grade..so I thought. At field day…at the end of 3rd grade, a dark kinda long haired kid blew off the lines when the starter pistol went off for the 50’yd dash and later in the 100 yd dash. This kid (Derek) beat 12 of the fastest kids by 10-15 yds…I was like…who is this kid? His dad looked over at me and said he’s mine and laughed. I said, I’m coaching the 4th grade basketball team in the fall, could he play on my team? The rest was history…in baseball basketball and football, he beat all players on every team as the high scorer …mvp’s in everything. Never ****y…but a fierce competitor. If he knocked an opponent down, if the time was permitting, he’d offer a helping hand. He’s played at the highest levels in elite leagues his whole life. He and my son became great pals. AMA I was fortunate enough to coach him and then later be a fam of that long haired bolt of lightning. Will he make any mistakes. **** yes. I’m not dillusional. Lol. He has flaws as we all do. But I’ll tell the Miami coaches and all of you great fans here. You won’t see a an athlete with as much focus, passion and talent. A gentleman athlete that makes his team feel like they can win any game any day. That’s what he brings. I’ve seen it for 13-14 years now. His track record of over achieving keeps moving forward. He came from a small school with a big heart and our motto we taught all our kids was “Prove em wrong and
Why not us! And I say to Miami. Why not the Hurricanes??
Why not us! And I say to Miami. Why not the Hurricanes??
“my son”

Last edited:
He is our new DH which is fine with me.
Derek will never be a DH again...he's trimmed down to under 200 lbs now...he's faster with better bat speed, in high school he was a base stealing viper...a constant student of the game, he refines where he needs polishing, then shines...I don't blame anyone for analysis of what little you have seen of him...y'all don't know or haven't seen the complete picture...Really unless you have followed the players, any of them, you only get a glimpse of what they are capable of...DWILL in the 13 years Ive coached or watched, he never stop playing, leading or producing. Most likely he is the BEST PURE ALL AROUND ATHLETE on the team. Becasue he can play every position and every sport. Becasue he has.
I have looked at all the players (pitchers and OF's) Its very promising. The ones who left wont be missed...MIAMI is on the road to revival...mic drop....!

Advertisement
Derek will never be a DH again...he's trimmed down to under 200 lbs now...he's faster with better bat speed, in high school he was a base stealing viper...a constant student of the game, he refines where he needs polishing, then shines...I don't blame anyone for analysis of what little you have seen of him...y'all don't know or haven't seen the complete picture...Really unless you have followed the players, any of them, you only get a glimpse of what they are capable of...DWILL in the 13 years I've coached or watched, he never stops playing, leading or producing. Most likely he is the BEST PURE ALL AROUND ATHLETE on the team. Because he can play every position and every sport at a high level. Because he has. He's a natural.
I have looked at all the players (pitchers and OF's) coming on board the Hurricane Train...Its very promising. The ones who left wont be missed...MIAMI is on the road to revival...mic drop....!

His rapid fire 14 post barrage was the most excitement we have seen in a while. I will take it!
I'm a motivational speaker coach...I've been coaching for over 30 years now, former USAF Sec. Forces Veteran and Sheriff's Deputy. I've taken 7 year olds on the basketball court (like herding cats) and in two years we won a championship. I've had all the studs and and lost when we shouldn't have...If as a leader, your team doesn't believe in you or your energy, you won't be successful. Over 30 years I learned that if you love you team, tough love your team, and you're there for them even when gameday isn't in play...you will have lifelong respect and more hustle from your players...and life long relationships with generations of kids and thier kids. I'm a grandad of so many of my past players kids, even coached some. Derek is almost at the pinnacle of his journey...He won't stop until he reaches the MLB. His goal right now...is to come to Miami for his Senior year, and not only be in the spotlight, but to put his new team in the spotlight. If fans, coaches, and family get's behind this team, post about their players constantly and pump them up constantly...I'm telling you, you will get more production out of this team than you ever saw before...its a remedy for mediocrity. Max Galvin & Derek played against each other in their last year of JUCO in FLorida...Max loves that he is joined forces with Derek. Max is a stud, with a lot of power. tall, athletic and fast in the OF. And a very nice Freshman class with some studs coming. some of them will be instant impact players.
Welcome to Miami!!!

Love your excitement and enthusiasm.
Competing in the ACC for 30 games is a different animal...
Both Max and Derek will make this lineup better, but we need a lot more bat's to make this lineup go. I think one or two of our talented freshmen will be in the starting lineup if we don't get Diaz.
I'm a motivational speaker coach...I've been coaching for over 30 years now, former USAF Sec. Forces Veteran and Sheriff's Deputy. I've taken 7 year olds on the basketball court (like herding cats) and in two years we won a championship. I've had all the studs and and lost when we shouldn't have...If as a leader, your team doesn't believe in you or your energy, you won't be successful. Over 30 years I learned that if you love you team, tough love your team, and you're there for them even when gameday isn't in play...you will have lifelong respect and more hustle from your players...and life long relationships with generations of kids and thier kids. I'm a grandad of so many of my past players kids, even coached some. Derek is almost at the pinnacle of his journey...He won't stop until he reaches the MLB. His goal right now...is to come to Miami for his Senior year, and not only be in the spotlight, but to put his new team in the spotlight. If fans, coaches, and family get's behind this team, post about their players constantly and pump them up constantly...I'm telling you, you will get more production out of this team than you ever saw before...its a remedy for mediocrity. Max Galvin & Derek played against each other in their last year of JUCO in FLorida...Max loves that he is joined forces with Derek. Max is a stud, with a lot of power. tall, athletic and fast in the OF. And a very nice Freshman class with some studs coming. some of them will be instant impact players.
Welcome to Miami!!!

Advertisement
Love your excitement and enthusiasm.
Competing in the ACC for 30 games is a different animal...
Both Max and Derek will make this lineup better, but we need a lot more bat's to make this lineup go. I think one or two of our talented freshmen will be in the starting lineup if we don't get Diaz.

His energy overload will be a welcome emotional balance to JD’s asleep at the wheel approach…

Let’s Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
Back