Just out of curiosity

I think cristobal is a very good coach and will be very successful at a big time program in the future, but I share the opinion many have here. I don't think he was quite ready for the UM job. I think we ultimately got exactly the right guy we needed. Golden and UM seems like a match made in heaven. Next saturday!!!

Advertisement
How many of you guys would have been opposed to hiring Cristobal instead of Golden? Very similar resumes with Golden getting the nod on experience.

It's only a matter of time before Cristobal takes one of these big offers.

I would've been opposed at that particular time....Golden was the more accomplished coach then.

Cristobal would be the perfect replacement for Golden if/when he moves on. If not Cristobal, then Manny Diaz who has infinite connections in south florida.

I didn't feel like Cristobol was ready for UM and it seemed we needed to hire outside the family with this hire after the debacle Corch Shannon turned into.

This should have ended the thread. Whether Mario would have been the right hire, the continuation of recycling former Miami coaches needed to end for a little bit.

I'm down with some of the comments earlier in the thread.

After recycled UM material two hires previous, it was nice to think outside the UM box for once. Although I do think highly of Mario's coaching and ability to recruit, just don't think he was the right guy at the right time. Think he would've been another lazy hire in a way.

One thing that Golden has, more than Mario at any rate, is more clout. Golden seems very well respected around college football. He's been around quite a bit, especially in the Northeast. I think, when it comes to possible sanctions and other things, him not being a 'Miami guy' can only help us.

Very well written.

Advertisement
Question is, would Cristobal or Leach been able to handle the Shapiro mess as well as Golden did.... probally not. Case Closed

GO CANES!!!!!

Had the whole Shannon thing never happened I probably would have been just "OK" with it. But our program was at the point where it needed an architect, which is seemingly Al's best strength.

i wanted Leach but thought Golden would be a good hire even before he got mentioned.

and Cristobal is pretty similar to Golden. He's been part of a rebuild at Rutgers with Schiano and he built FIU up from being straight horrible under Strock. He's had time to learn the hard way and now got things clicking. Is FIU part of the upcoming Conference USA or Big East? or other?

Advertisement
AG is the perfect guy right now. I don't think many could have handled what he was dealt.

I've said this before but feel that it needs to be said again...anyone who would take Leech over AG at this point is a complete idiot and does not understand college football. there is so much more required of a top tier D1 coach than Leech is capable of IMO.

we need/ed a program builder. Leech has some sweet offensive plays but thats about it. Leech could probably win a NC if he walked into a loaded roster (a la Dennis Erickson or Larry Coker). he could not however build a program up from the ruins that we were/are in. IMO

I didn't feel like Cristobol was ready for UM and it seemed we needed to hire outside the family with this hire after the debacle Corch Shannon turned into.

This should have ended the thread. Whether Mario would have been the right hire, the continuation of recycling former Miami coaches needed to end for a little bit.

My sentiments exactly

Advertisement
Cristobal has not proven anything. He sucks and his records sucks.

He has consistently posted 5 and 6 loss seasons in the Sunbelt Conference:ohlord:

No way he is on Golden's level

I like Cristobal but he wasn't ready.
As for Leach, it could have ended up being a brilliant hire or a disaster with the possibility of putting the the final nail in this programs coffin.
I don't think that's a risk anyone was willing to take.
Golden was the perfect hire for this program.

+1

Advertisement
I wanted Leach, Patterson, Peterson or Briles.

Golden was really an out of nowhere hire for me, but I liked it because we did need fresh blood. Mario isn't ready yet. If he can go somewhere else and prove he can win (Pittsburgh or some **** like that) maybe, but not at the time we had the position open.

I preferred Golden over Cristobal, but preferred Cristobal over Edsall. Hypothetically, i would swap Cristobal for Golden now because I think they are equal and Mario would be here long term. I beleive as soon as Golden starts winning, he bails. Mario is from here and a part of the culture of Miami-Dade County.

Cristobal has not proven anything. He sucks and his records sucks.

He has consistently posted 5 and 6 loss seasons in the Sunbelt Conference:ohlord:

No way he is on Golden's level

Golden's career record at Temple was something like 33-40, so you can't really judge Cristobal off of his record.

I preferred Golden over Cristobal, but preferred Cristobal over Edsall. Hypothetically, i would swap Cristobal for Golden now because I think they are equal and Mario would be here long term. I beleive as soon as Golden starts winning, he bails. Mario is from here and a part of the culture of Miami-Dade County.

Yea that's what I think too. At the time, I agree Golden was the guy, but everything looks better in hindsight. Golden is gone to the NFL when he starts to win

Advertisement
Back