July 29, 2023 BBQ

I can’t believe I’ve missed this entire BBQ thread. South Florida is generally terrible for barbecue but there are a few good spots. Georgia Pig has a really good pulled pork sandwich. Smoke right off Oakland Park on the beach side of the intracoastal is pretty solid. Tom Jenkins is probably the best spot in Broward since Blue Willie’s closed. We ordered some food from La Traila in Miami Lakes the other day. It was pretty nice. Mission is ok. It tastes fine for the most part but you get the tiniest portions. I got a brisket and rib combo and it was two tiny slivers of brisket and two really small spare ribs for like $17.

Advertisement
I can’t believe I’ve missed this entire BBQ thread. South Florida is generally terrible for barbecue but there are a few good spots. Georgia Pig has a really good pulled pork sandwich. Smoke right off Oakland Park on the beach side of the intracoastal is pretty solid. Tom Jenkins is probably the best spot in Broward since Blue Willie’s closed. We ordered some food from La Traila in Miami Lakes the other day. It was pretty nice. Mission is ok. It tastes fine for the most part but you get the tiniest portions. I got a brisket and rib combo and it was two tiny slivers of brisket and two really small spare ribs for like $17.
I’m pretty sure I tried the one in Miami Lakes last time I was down and it was decent. I agree with you though. The main goal in eating BBQ is being a gluttonous slob and gorging on delicious smoked meat. Not eating 3 lbs of smoked meat in a sitting is a crime .

I've seen this asked in multiple threads, why isn't there more info on the BBQ visitor list. The statement is now bolded in the OP along with more details

Flo said Mario was taking steps this year to prevent UF from impacting attendance like they did last year (i.e. paying players not to come).

I would rank them:

1. KC/St Louie
2. Memphis
3. Alabama
4. NC
5. Texas

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, and this is given the fact I've had bar b q from several of the states you listed, that Dallas absolutely needs to be on this list.

Pecan Lodge in Dallas. Thank me later.

Advertisement
Reading all the bbq comments got me mad irritated.....we don't have shibb in san diego....Annie's real Texas bbq brisket is dryer than a sponge

Advertisement

I co-sign every word. Been reading and wondering how long it would take to see Tom Jenkins listed.

Sneaky solid (though the sauce isn't quite right for my taste) is the brisket sandwich at the Smokehouse at Unbranded Brewery in Hialeah.

Advertisement
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, and this is given the fact I've had bar b q from several of the states you listed, that Dallas absolutely needs to be on this list.

Pecan Lodge in Dallas. Thank me later.
Im going to check that one out, thanks in advance! I think Texas has the best brisket hands down.

Advertisement
The white sauce started at Big Bob Gibson's where they put it on chicken wings and half chickens. Every other is copy cat of that and not as good. As far as places like Dreamland and Full Moon they have a vinegar-ketchup-molasses based sauce but thicker and more sweeter than your Carolina based sauces
My grandmother used molasses in her sauce sometimes. No one has been able to duplicate her sauce. We were reluctant to eat the last jar after she died. Due to no one knowing how to make it.

If anyone sauces a properly smoked brisket that isn't dried out, they're a piece of **** plain and simple. Anything else with sauce is fair game. I prefer Memphis dry rub on my ribs but I always sauce a rack for the wife and kids.

If I ever see someone saucing my brisket its either fisticuffs or seppuku.

Suicide Samurai GIF
I haven’t had a BRISKET yet that needed it.

There's always a food truck somewhere that has the stuff. In Idaho we have this food truck the guy built his own smoker in to it. It's some of the best BBQ I've ever had.
This. Meaning people should really try the side of the road BBQ. It usually turns out to better than chain joints sometimes. Depending where you are.

Advertisement
Back