I think our offense will be surprisingly good

I think some people are missing the point of the OP. If the offense had proven commodities, it wouldn't be "surprisingly" good.

Can't speak for Able, but I like what I see as far as measurables and intangibles. Morris is gifted, the offensive line is huge, athletic and conditioned, and the TEs have size and coordination. The upperclassmen WRs and RBs aren't as talented as we're used to, but they bring excellent toughness and attitude to go along with good skills. That's not even taking the young guys into account.

IMO, this will be a solid unit in 2012 and a sensational unit in 2013.

right. and as some one else mentioned, a middle of the road (statistically) offense would be a surprise all things considered

Advertisement
I think some people are missing the point of the OP. If the offense had proven commodities, it wouldn't be "surprisingly" good.

Can't speak for Able, but I like what I see as far as measurables and intangibles. Morris is gifted, the offensive line is huge, athletic and conditioned, and the TEs have size and coordination. The upperclassmen WRs and RBs aren't as talented as we're used to, but they bring excellent toughness and attitude to go along with good skills. That's not even taking the young guys into account.

Exactly.

We're not talking about the '02 offense coming off the Rose Bowl victory.

Perhaps my projection is colored with orange & green, but I don't think it's baseless pie in the sky. Example: Allen Hurns is not an unknown commodity. He had 31 catches 415 yards (13.4 avg) and 4 TDs; his numbers were very comparable to Travis Benjamin's. That's good production for a redshirt Freshman. He's got good size, good speed, and good production. He beat out a few upperclassmen to get into the rotation (Byrd, Thompkins, and maybe Davon Johnson if he was still at WR). I don't think it's a leap to suggest he'll take another leap forward.

The only guy we're really counting on who's done nothing is Duke Johnson, but RB is the easiest position to make an immediate impact.

If the offensive line plays well, I think we'll have a good unit.

Besides, being top 3 in the ACC doesn't mean we're an offensive juggernaut.

lots have labeled the kid from STA (name escapes me since I'm drunk) a big play threat when he averaged about 10 ypc last year. granted he was true FR, but he has not shown that he is a threat for anything

lots have labeled the kid from STA (name escapes me since I'm drunk) a big play threat when he averaged about 10 ypc last year. granted he was true FR, but he has not shown that he is a threat for anything

Phillip Dorsett?

Advertisement

weve seen kehoe lines before that were huge.....athletic and conditioned also and they were a disaster as a unit

the issue is that he took over what was a relatively young group last year.......and if weve learned anything from him over the years its that coaching kids up isnt exactly a strong suit of his

with all the talent weve had over the years........his units were typically the weakest on the team

so size and conditioning is terrific.....but if he cant help the young kids learn some technique to go along with said size.......its not gonna matter

He made pretty much every play he had an opportunity to make. He even threw a TD. What are you talking about? Dorsett was expected to make big plays with Benjamin, Streeter, and Hurns starting over him the majority of the year?

i don't see the right guy slinging the rock around. that makes me think this offense will be meh...

Agree with the original poster, who was the break out runner with Berry leading the way, matter fact, MJ reminds me of Berry, and it has been a decade or more since we've had a player like Lamar in the break field. So I would not be surprised with 6-6 or 10-2. To me with all the uncertainty with the players the most important is we have a real staff for the first time since Butch. I think that will help in a big way!

Advertisement
IMHO, injuries and depth are a huge issue. If Hurns, Dorsett or a RB go down, we're going to have issues. That's what happens when you sign 7 WR's in one class, and a top RB transfer. It takes years to get the depth chart straightened out after things like that.

Can't wait to see who steps up to be the big play guy. We need someone too. Duke, Dorsett, someone.

If healthy it's all on Morris, he needs to be a weapon. On paper this is a .500 team. I think they are likely to overachieve.
i dont know why everybody seems so confident that morris is even gonna be the guy

i still think williams wins the job

You also think that Deon Bush will become a LB at some point.

Advertisement
If healthy it's all on Morris, he needs to be a weapon. On paper this is a .500 team. I think they are likely to overachieve.
i dont know why everybody seems so confident that morris is even gonna be the guy

i still think williams wins the job

Did you watch the spring game?

Exactly... Williams isnt that good... As much flack as Jacory got, no one should be expecting anything more from Williams than to be a back up... He can't make the throws Jacory made... He isnt that good right now... Morris is better than the kid... But if Morris wasnt ready, I'll prefer him to run the first team than to stall the development of our young qbs... The kid does seem like a smart prospect...

Can't wait to see this guy in action:

[video=youtube;DbxbK5MzmVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbxbK5MzmVw[/video]

Using some quantitative data, we ranked from mediocre to decent on offense last year.

we have a lot of room for improvement, beginning with

Wins - 6 to ?
Total offense - 377.8/game to ?
3rd down conversions - 42.57% to ?
rushing offense - 145.67/game to ?
QB rating - 148.45 to ?
scoring - 26.5 to 20.1 (opponents)
red zone TD efficiency - 65.85%
turnover margin (season) - minus 4 (15 takeaways, 19 turnovers)

stats courtesy of cfbstats.com

Advertisement
Using some quantitative data, we ranked from mediocre to decent on offense last year. we have a lot of room for improvement, beginning with Wins - 6 to ? Total offense - 377.8/game to ? 3rd down conversions - 42.57% to ? rushing offense - 145.67/game to ? QB rating - 148.45 to ? scoring - 26.5 to 20.1 (opponents) red zone TD efficiency - 65.85% turnover margin (season) - minus 4 (15 takeaways, 19 turnovers) stats courtesy of cfbstats.com
Is anyone familiar enough with sabremetrics to give us what these numbers need to be at for say...8 wins?

Using some quantitative data, we ranked from mediocre to decent on offense last year. we have a lot of room for improvement, beginning with Wins - 6 to ? Total offense - 377.8/game to ? 3rd down conversions - 42.57% to ? rushing offense - 145.67/game to ? QB rating - 148.45 to ? scoring - 26.5 to 20.1 (opponents) red zone TD efficiency - 65.85% turnover margin (season) - minus 4 (15 takeaways, 19 turnovers) stats courtesy of cfbstats.com
Is anyone familiar enough with sabremetrics to give us what these numbers need to be at for say...8 wins?

bill james

bill james

potato

If the surprisingly component is more relevant than good, it's all relative. A lot will depend on their handling of Morris. Morris can make plays but is obviously error prone--not unlike jacory with a lot more natural ability. The task for an oc with guys like this is to cut turnovers while not making them scared to make the same plays. We'll see how that plays out. As stated I don't think we have the playmakers to be really good on O but this is the difference between decent and pretty bad

Advertisement
Back