I think our offense will be surprisingly good

Agree with others, it's all about the oline. But I'll add that it's also the overall units confidence with the system. Will they get the big picture, execute, have the confidence to work within the system?

That being said, I still expect 8 wins or else the season is a failure.

Advertisement
The offense needs to learn some pace. The 'Canes were next to last in the FBS in the number of plays run on offense last year (if I remember right, only FAU was worse). I know both Golden and Fisch have said this will be addressed, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Another factor of this is that the D was awful getting off the field on 3rd down

The offense needs to learn some pace. The 'Canes were next to last in the FBS in the number of plays run on offense last year (if I remember right, only FAU was worse). I know both Golden and Fisch have said this will be addressed, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Another factor of this is that the D was awful getting off the field on 3rd down

Serious question, when was the last time our D wasn't awful on 3rd down? That's been one of the more miserable aspects of the last 5+ years

Another thing to consider is that pretty much the entire offense returns in 2013.

I agree with Able. The 2010 recruiting class was a colossal failure on defense, but Shannon landed some talented offensive players who will play on Sundays. The loss of Storm hurts. He would be the missing piece this year.

Penn is right that we don't have proven big play guys. That's the biggest hole right now.

A couple keys:

1) the running game and the progression of the offensive line. We should see less shuffling up front this year, so it's imperative these guys develop chemistry and consistency. This offense has relied on big plays the past few years, but the defense would benefit from an efficient unit that converts short-yardage.

2) Dorsett and Duke staying healthy. Those are the two true game breakers, and the element they bring would be difficult to replace.

But the ones who arent back are pretty important. Our 3 biggest weapons on offense are no longer here(in case you didn't know :quag:).

Last edited:
That's pretty much the problem. Really good units generally have guys you can count on supplemented by guys who will hopefully be good. Great units have a lot of knowns. We have nothin but a bunch of guys we hope will be good. Those types of units are typically a year or years away. It's always attractive to fall into the trap of thinking that some guy who nobody cares about but us is really good. If you think about it, every team in the country has a fanbase talking up guys who nobody cares about. The best teams are generally talking up knowns.
Another thing to consider is that pretty much the entire offense returns in 2013.

I agree with Able. The 2010 recruiting class was a colossal failure on defense, but Shannon landed some talented offensive players who will play on Sundays. The loss of Storm hurts. He would be the missing piece this year.

Penn is right that we don't have proven big play guys. That's the biggest hole right now.

A couple keys:

1) the running game and the progression of the offensive line. We should see less shuffling up front this year, so it's imperative these guys develop chemistry and consistency. This offense has relied on big plays the past few years, but the defense would benefit from an efficient unit that converts short-yardage.

2) Dorsett and Duke staying healthy. Those are the two true game breakers, and the element they bring would be difficult to replace.

and there you have the whole problem with the offense this year in a nut shell. we are counting on a true FR and another unproven WR to be the beg play threat.

maybe they will, but at this point it is pure speculation

Advertisement

But the ones who arent back are pretty important. Our 3 biggest weapons on offense are no longer here(in case you didn't know :quag:).

I said 2013, Morris's senior year.

Yeah skipped right over that part. Sorry about that.

I am almost as optimistic about Morris as you are but I cant remember going into a season(meaning 2012) thinking so much is riding on our QB. It really starts and stops with him especially if the line holds up.

I am not very optimistic about Morris. I have some hope because of what Fisch did with Jacory though. maybe the light will turn on

I have to stop short of thinking the offense will surprise. Look at RB, QB and WR.

With Lamar gone, there a lack of big play capacity at RB, at least in the early part of the season. If Duke comes on that could change. But hanging our hopes on a true freshman says all that needs to be said about the current state of the RB position.

Assuming Morris wins the job, it's the first time the team would be truly his (although those games he started when Jacory was hurt are beneficial). So to me, QB is a bit of an unknown and that's such a very critical position.

At Receiver, the Canes are thin at experienced WR's. I do think at least one of the newcomers (i.e., true freshman) will be a pleasant surprise, though. My guess is either Lewis or Lockhart. Or both.

So the O-Line had *better* play well, because there's a lot of youth and inexperience that needs to develop everywhere else.

Advertisement
It all starts with the o-line...If the o-line open holes the rbs will find them, if their great at pass block then the qb will have more time to find the open receivers. The rbs on the roster and those coming in are good enough to find the open holes and explode through them and the receivers are good enough to catch the ball and get open. Remember these guys do not have the same attitudes as some of the players that were recruited under Shannon and Coker these guys are coming in ready to compete and are in their playbooks, this will pay big dividends this season. It may not be pretty but know they'll get better with time.

I'm not sure why people aren't expecting Duke to be a huge part of the offense right away. We just lost our only 3 big-play guys to the NFL draft and he's much more explosive than Mike or OT.

This is what I expect to see @ BC:

James: 15-20 carries

Duke: 10-15 carries

EC- 5 carries, 3rd down back

I don't see it. I would like to be pleasantly surprised, but there are too many question marks. I don't agree with people's concerns about the OL, I think our running game will be solid if unspectacular. The problem is there is no "go to" guy, a gamebreaker type. There will have to be significantly more long, 80 yard drives this year. Whether that can be done with some modicum of consistency remains to be seen - Morris has some tools, Fisch appears to be able to coach QBs up, so we'll see.

TE's have a lot of potential, and I'd love to see Walford and Cleveland combine for 40-50 receptions this year. Hurns is dependable when healthy, he is capable of matching at least Benjamin's lost production in terms of receptions.

I think Morris's tools (strong arm, escapability) can be effective in a pound the rock, play action offense with a lot of slants and screens in between.

The offensive tempo HAS to improve, defense was on the field too much last year.

This is a point that no one brings up... The offense could have been better if the D could have gotten some stops... Look at VT, Jacory went 13 of 21 for 267 yards and 3 td... Most his incompletions came on that last drive... Our numbers would have been 10 times better if we could have got some stops... We're going to get some 3 and outs but our D has to step up...

Advertisement
That's pretty much the problem. Really good units generally have guys you can count on supplemented by guys who will hopefully be good. Great units have a lot of knowns. We have nothin but a bunch of guys we hope will be good. Those types of units are typically a year or years away. It's always attractive to fall into the trap of thinking that some guy who nobody cares about but us is really good. If you think about it, every team in the country has a fanbase talking up guys who nobody cares about. The best teams are generally talking up knowns.

A couple keys:

and there you have the whole problem with the offense this year in a nut shell. we are counting on a true FR and another unproven WR to be the beg play threat.

maybe they will, but at this point it is pure speculation

+1
This something no one thinks of... We have some hopefuls but every school has that... I'm with D$... 2013 should be the year for the O... I'm expecting at least 6 wins... We are a inexperience and unknown team... Our playmaking threats will be missed but hopefully this squad can learn how to play this year and bounce back strong next year...

Kehoe is pulling his own freight. Can't hand a man a handful of **it and two pieces of bread and expect a roast beef sandwich.

No one disagrees that both the Oline and Dline make or break a team. So next the question - how LONG to acquire/gather/coach/grow/make a good line - and always assume you start from scratch. Harder to undo a knot and then tie it than to tie a knot from scratch.

Unproven players are always unproven until you throw them into the fire. Some very quickly become proven, regardless of whether they're freshmen or seniors.

We've seen plenty of the inverse under previous management.

I like what we have, I like what I see, and if anyone knows how to accelerate the calender so that the next 90 days go by quickly, please do.

As many have stated too many "ifs" and "maybe's" for me to have real optimism. And one of the biggest question marks is QB.

Hoping for 8 wins, expecting 5/6 wins.

My main goal, for the team, is that by the final quarter of the season we see a disciplined, tough, vastly improved football team. I want to say "watch out next year".

Advertisement
I think some people are missing the point of the OP. If the offense had proven commodities, it wouldn't be "surprisingly" good.

Can't speak for Able, but I like what I see as far as measurables and intangibles. Morris is gifted, the offensive line is huge, athletic and conditioned, and the TEs have size and coordination. The upperclassmen WRs and RBs aren't as talented as we're used to, but they bring excellent toughness and attitude to go along with good skills. That's not even taking the young guys into account.

IMO, this will be a solid unit in 2012 and a sensational unit in 2013.

If we can grind the ball and eat up clock, we will be successful. That falls on the offense as a whole but the line especially. As a former D-1 offensive lineman, all the D would ask of us is to extend our series as long as possible. Wear down the defensive linemen and we have a great shot at winning. That slows down the rush, we get our hands on the linebackers and our defense is fresh.

Advertisement
Back