How far are we away

M3N

Senior
After watching these conference championship games I kept sayin how far are we away from being this competitive.

Clemson with 6th straight and no signs of slowing down.
Ohio state with 5 straight and are recruiting at a ridiculous level.

Alabama continues is historic run.

The more I watch.. the more I realize we are not even close.

These teams have an army of assistants and analysts. The teams are incredibly prepared and to the point where you have to question do they even go to class?

I’m watching D. Smith catch 15 for almost 200 and two TDS. Meanwhile we struggle getting Brevin Jordan the ball 4 times a game.

We need some serious changes to improve to that level of play and that includes Lashlees offense, S&C, etc.

Advertisement
Solution
In 2013, Clemson lost 51-14 to FSU and looked like a total fraud despite a good record. And that was three years into their successful run.

Keep recruiting, keep tweaking, and keep beating the teams you’re supposed to beat.
Clemson bout to come back down to earth once Trevor leaves ..Dj is nowhere near as talented ...we making strides Manny just gotta tighten up that defensive side (coaching) and keep working on bringing in better OL pieces

Advertisement
Did watch last week before asking such questions,???
At this rate,your great grandchildren might be asking the same question (if they end up being cane fans)

We got a new offense this year, and granted, they didn’t have spring practice and Covid screwed up a lot of things, and we were better than last year

IF we get a new defense this year, it may take a while to see results. Even Sabag stated that in today’s CFB, you can’t win with a dominant defense anymore. You’ve got to be able to score points. His defense hasn’t been as dominant lately but his offense has scored 35 or more for 22 straight games.

The ratings decline and overall decline in bowl interest will eventually force it. But if it 2035 when the NCAA finally does it - after Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State have been to the CFP for twenty consecutive years - will anyone care by that point?

Kirk was absolutely correct in saying that 99% of teams have no shot before the season even begins. Cincinnati has no shot today, so ultimately what is the incentive to even have a program? This sort of lopsided competitiveness is going to help lead to massive program contraction. It’s like the NBA operating without a salary cap, or MLB without any spending constraints. Or the NFL without a rookie draft, where a Jerry Jones could outbid everyone for thirty first round talents. It’s no longer competitive - unless your view of CFB is that it should be limited to four to six teams.
Acting like the only reason programs exist is to play for a nc is just ridiculous. Most of the programs wanting in have never and won’t ever win a nc so to act like the cfp is solely preventing that is dumb. They didn’t do it in the poll era or bcs era either

Advertisement
We're far away.

I saw a couple of things last night that I haven't seen out of any or our "stars" in a long time. I saw a whole bunch of "trust" throws into coverage and I saw a whole bunch of contested catches, in traffic. Lets be honest about ourselves......Has Brevin Jordan EVER made a contested catch in a Miami uniform? We have as many drops per game as the gata had great contested catches for touchdowns.

I read a comment how they forced it to Pitts, but we can't get Brevin the ball 4 times a game. Well Trask was going to his go to guy when he was double and triple teamed. And Pitts made the catches. Our QBs don't force anything and our WR/TEs sure as **** don't make any kind of contested catches. We barely catch the easy ones......but let me guess that is coaching right?

I'll say this again....Jimmy's and Joes win games. Their big time players played big last night. Our big time players, outside of King, Wilt in the moment.

I mean come on.....do any of us actually think that Manny Diaz is a Head Coach of a National Championship team? The only way that happens is for a perfect storm in Miami. Look at Coach O....the dude is a coach. But the perfect storm occurred at LSU with him there. He hit on a great assistant coach who will be a NFL head coach soon (Brady) and a Heisman QB (Burrow). Miami doesn't have that....and Diaz won't be the guy to bring those things to Miami.

Advertisement
I’ve had this convo with fans of other teams and the truth is that most of the P5 is not playing the same game as the top 5 teams. Not in any aspect. And further, as long as this post season format exists, it will only get worse and worse

We're far away.

I saw a couple of things last night that I haven't seen out of any or our "stars" in a long time. I saw a whole bunch of "trust" throws into coverage and I saw a whole bunch of contested catches, in traffic. Lets be honest about ourselves......Has Brevin Jordan EVER made a contested catch in a Miami uniform? We have as many drops per game as the gata had great contested catches for touchdowns.

I read a comment how they forced it to Pitts, but we can't get Brevin the ball 4 times a game. Well Trask was going to his go to guy when he was double and triple teamed. And Pitts made the catches. Our QBs don't force anything and our WR/TEs sure as **** don't make any kind of contested catches. We barely catch the easy ones......but let me guess that is coaching right?

I'll say this again....Jimmy's and Joes win games. Their big time players played big last night. Our big time players, outside of King, Wilt in the moment.
I agree with you … and I believe it’s coaching, too.

- I see freshman playing significant snaps on every team in college football, but not at Miami
- I see OL at every level show some push, but not at Miami.
- I see RB on every team that have vision and can fall forward, but not at Miami
- I see athletes who “look” like they’re in an actual S&C program, but not at Miami
- I see WRs get separation, run picks …

Yes, you need athletes, but if you don’t do anything with them it’s on you.

Clemson bout to come back down to earth once Trevor leaves ..Dj is nowhere near as talented ...we making strides Manny just gotta tighten up that defensive side (coaching) and keep working on bringing in better OL pieces
They didn’t seem to skip a beat when a true freshman DJ was in there this year. And don’t give me the ND loss as he still played well. That loss was due to the defense missing key guys

Advertisement
1.First and foremost coaching has to be way better.

2. Recruiting not only talented players but the right players. Get upset all you want about not getting T2. But there is a reason he wasn’t chased by the teams we’re talking about.

3. Money. I wrote a post about you can’t just throw money at the problem and expect success.
But I’m watching last night and saw Butch Jones congratulating Najee Harris and I’m like WTF??!!! Forgot that he was on staff as an analyst as well.
We get all giddy about having Locket and Hipolite while Bama hires Butch Jones and Charlie strong as analysts. Now idk how much that helps honestly but when it comes to recruiting that has to help tremendously. Especially on official visits when they take you to the film room and you have two former P5 head coaches and coordinators breaking down film.
Then you remember your OV at Miami and it was Patke and Banda. Does it really matter n the field? Idk, it wasn’t like those 2 coaches lit it up while at Texas and Tennessee
But it’s extremely impressionable.

3. We have to establish a sense of loyalty to this program and solidify a culture of brotherhood.
It’s apparent that this program’s players don’t have a sense of trust to each other or desire to be the playoff team. It’s is obvious that all they care about is getting to the league. I’ve posted this several times on different threads but the 3rd piece of the puzzle is WE HAVE TO FND A WAY TO MAKE EARLY DRAFT PICKS STAY FOR ONE MORE YEAR.
Look at the players that made a difference yesterday. Smith, Harris, Leatherwood, Lawrence, Ettiene, even Judas was out there.
Kadarius Toney and Grimes are seniors as well.
This is another feather in those teams recruiting caps. Imagine telling offensive lineman “if you want to know what it’s like to play in the nfl then commit to us and your gonna have 9 months of practice against Jalen Phillips and Gregory Rousseau.
Bama and Clemson do that every year. Hey you want to learn how and nfl qb prepares and dissects defenses come here and learn under Trevor Lawrence that was projected to go number one overall this year before he even threw a pass.
You want to know what it’s like to cover an nfl wide receiver? Come and cover D Smith in practice. He would be starting in the league right now but your can come try and cover him for a year.

We’re—-at minimum—-a completely new coaching staff and AD away from competing for the CFB playoffs every year. Manny doesn’t have the disposition, support staff, or general resources around him to be elite here. Getting rid of the two Blakes would at least be a step in the right direction, but realistically I don’t think we’ll ever have the organizational commitment from the top down that schools like Bama and OSU are afforded.

Acting like the only reason programs exist is to play for a nc is just ridiculous. Most of the programs wanting in have never and won’t ever win a nc so to act like the cfp is solely preventing that is dumb. They didn’t do it in the poll era or bcs era either
It's Kirk's argument, not mine. And his argument, which is a legitimate point is this.

We know who will be three of the four teams in the CFP in 2022. Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson. We know who will be three of the four teams in the CFP in 2023. It's Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson. And you can do that year after year, for decades to come. That leaves everyone else competing for one slot. And he says that it is bad for the health of college football to have that sort of ossification take place.

Putting aside the Group of 5 teams, there are five Power 5 conferences competing for four playoffs spots. As it stands, the SEC (Alabama), Big Ten (Ohio State), and ACC (Clemson) have locked in three of the spots. One - possibly two Power 5 conferences are left out. The playoffs desperately need to be expanded to 8 teams next year. At minimum.

Ask yourself this - how exciting would college basketball be if March Madness was limited to four teams, and Duke, Kansas, and North Carolina were almost guaranteed their spots each year? It would become a very niche product. And football, placed in the same situation will face far more pressures on many, many campuses - up to and potentially including Miami in the future - that basketball does not face. Financial outlays for the giant athletic program temples that need to be built to compete - for luxurious facilities that are players only while schools cut budget elsewhere and raise tuition further - stand to merge political forces and health concerns and lead to a massive, massive contraction in college football.

Advertisement
After watching these conference championship games I kept sayin how far are we away from being this competitive.

Clemson with 6th straight and no signs of slowing down.
Ohio state with 5 straight and are recruiting at a ridiculous level.

Alabama continues is historic run.

The more I watch.. the more I realize we are not even close.

These teams have an army of assistants and analysts. The teams are incredibly prepared and to the point where you have to question do they even go to class?

I’m watching D. Smith catch 15 for almost 200 and two TDS. Meanwhile we struggle getting Brevin Jordan the ball 4 times a game.

We need some serious changes to improve to that level of play and that includes Lashlees offense, S&C, etc.
We need five years and a much larger financial outlay, including hiring an army of support staff and analysts coupled with aggressive booster support to make that happen.

I think it starts with oline/dline.

Not to mention all around depth.

Clemson, Alabama—their two deep is ridiculous and their back-ups would start at most schools.

Miami is always one pulled hammy away from either side of the ball looking completely different due to such a drop-off with its back ups.

Program is NOWHERE near where it needs to be depth-wise.

But it’s extremely impressionable.

3. We have to establish a sense of loyalty to this program and solidify a culture of brotherhood.
It’s apparent that this program’s players don’t have a sense of trust to each other or desire to be the playoff team. It’s is obvious that all they care about is getting to the league. I’ve posted this several times on different threads but the 3rd piece of the puzzle is WE HAVE TO FND A WAY TO MAKE EARLY DRAFT PICKS STAY FOR ONE MORE YEAR.
Look at the players that made a difference yesterday. Smith, Harris, Leatherwood, Lawrence, Ettiene, even Judas was out there.
Kadarius Toney and Grimes are seniors as well.
This is another feather in those teams recruiting caps. Imagine telling offensive lineman “if you want to know what it’s like to play in the nfl then commit to us and your gonna have 9 months of practice against Jalen Phillips and Gregory Rousseau.
And it's possible that every one of the names that you cited could come back for one more year to boot, given that eligibility was not affected this year. As I've said before, it honestly would not surprise me if Trevor came back for 2021, or even the 2022 season.

We need people to do what Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne did, and come back for their senior seasons. Miami does not beat FSU in 2000 had those two gone pro after the 1999 season.

So much could have changed if certain players had stayed.

2006: If Devin Hester and Sinorice Moss had not gone pro, Miami's catastrophe at wide receiver would have been averted. Miami beats FSU, perhaps loses to Louisville, and goes 10-2 in the regular season. Larry Coker remains our head coach.

2017: If Brad Kayaa returns, Miami beats Pittsburgh and finishes the regular season undefeated

Advertisement
Back