GW Game

That was a bad game. Not sure why we didn’t push the ball because our players had a tremendous athletic advantage over them. Our shooting was chit again as well:

5-23 from 3PT
4-8 from FT

Random Stuff:

- Sheldon McClellan was out there.
- People go nuts for Wolf Blitzer, he was at the game.
- GW essentially plays in a nice HS gym.

Advertisement
My thoughts from the Smith Center today:

- GREAT turnout by Canes fans. Orange and green was everywhere!

- Nuggets and Wizards had a scout there to look at GWs 6'9 Point Forward Yuto Watanabe and our guys. Doubt they went away all that impressed. I didn't see any "one and done's" out there today. Or, even "two and dones."

- First half we had it going on offense and defense. Second half we bricked everything and let a grossly inferior team make a game of it.

- Team is still searching for an offensive leader, i.e. the guy who WANTS to take the big shot to stop an opponent's run or win a game. Right now, streaky DJ is the only guy willing to do that. Lykes and Lonnie come in second as far as confidence in their outside shot goes but ... they are still too hesitant, especially if their first couple attempts miss.

- Izundu's minutes seem to me to be waaay down, for whatever reason. Huell very impressive. He has come SO FAR from last season.

- GWs strategy when Lykes was in the game was to take it to him. Let's face it, every guard is gonna be taller and stronger; some, ALOT taller and stronger. Will his scoring and steals offset what he gives up on defense? I definitely think so. Love the kid. BTW, he was wearing goggles today and no one around me knew why? Did they say on TV? Prescription or protective?

- Consigliere, you are correct about the 5000 seat Smith Center but ... I'd much rather watch a game there than at Univ of Maryland's modern, 18,000 seat Xfinity Center.

He was wearing the goggles in the shoot-around prior to the game. Guess he was trying to acclimate to them.

Advertisement
Crowd mockingly laughed at Wolf during halftime interview when he attempted to flack his nightly CNN show. It was like he just had to get the plug in there somehow. Said greatest memory as a GW hoops fan was when the Colonials took down UMass, when they were ranked #1 . That had to be the Marcus Camby-led UMass team, coached by Calipari.

We're not the tallest team around but we've got some guys who can get up there, and Huell's definitely one of them. GW had only two reasonably athletic guys -- Watanabe and Nolan -- and yet we only won by 9. Based on talent, shoulda been 29. And I suspect that's just what Coach L will use in his "teaching" lesson from this one.

Advertisement
Maybe something to do with his werewolf-ish beard? Just a wild guess. Nice to see he "unwinds" at GW games. There's worse options.

Advertisement
Conference schedule is going to be a wake up call.

It will be one but we ease into that...

@ Pitt 6-5, just lost Luther for 2 weeks or more with a stress reaction
@ GT 4-4, just lost to Wofford
FSU 9-1, they play Duke and UNC before us (same days as our games)

Watched the post-game presser by Maurice Joseph, GW's Head Coach. Admittedly, I'm reading between Mojo's lines but he basically seemed to be saying when asked about the Canes that we are young, and at this stage of the season, maybe not quite as good as our ranking. Nothing disrespectful just his thoughts based on this one game. He did say he expects the Canes will get a lot better as the season progresses.

BTW, FSU beat GW 87-67, in Tally, a month ago.

Advertisement
Christ, after a layoff, away, uninspiring opponent and poor shooting, we win. Every year we tank one of these games. Maybe we turned a corner. Now to rid the NCAA Tourney "No Mas" albatross from our necks.....

The Achilles Heal will be lack of height against the elite teams. UNC, Duke etc will have waves of big men to throw at us.

Christ, after a layoff, away, uninspiring opponent and poor shooting, we win. Every year we tank one of these games. Maybe we turned a corner. Now to rid the NCAA Tourney "No Mas" albatross from our necks.....

The Achilles Heal will be lack of height against the elite teams. UNC, Duke etc will have waves of big men to throw at us.

Speaking of big men. What's the deal with our 7'0 Rodney Miller? Is he hurt? Or, unable to crack the rotation at all? Coach was counting on 10 quality minutes from him this season.

Also, I could be wrong but I'm not seeing Huell and Izundu on the court together much, if at all. You'd think maybe we'd experiment with the bigger lineup so we're better prepared when Duke and Carolina throw all those big men against us.

Waardenburg looks like a redshirt situation to me. Any info on where he stands? Making strides? Not gonna help this year?

Last edited:
Speaking of big men. What's the deal with our 7'0 Rodney Miller? Is he hurt? Or, unable to crack the rotation at all? Coach was going on 10 quality minutes from him this season.

I don't know. I honestly wouldn't expect much this year or next. He still needs to get in better shape.

Advertisement
Back