For all the on-campus stadium folks ...

A modern version of what BC has would be perfect. There stadium takes up very little space. All it takes is loads of money to buy people off and build it.

Or a natural disaster. Now I'm not hoping for a Cat5 Hurricane to destroy some houses at a possible stadium location, but if it did...I could see the bright side in things.

Also, there is some very interesting stuff about the new Nets arena. In short, NY laws categorize a stadium as a public use, and thus eminent domain is in play. I'd love to see a multipurpose HS and college football stadium built that is branded as Miami's stadium.

Advertisement
That's a visually stunning structure, but not in a garish way at all. It would be the most on point stadium, as far as brand, in CFB.

We can dream.

I agree that at 70k+, its too big, reel it down to 55k and I think its good. As for the space needed, has anyone ever been to The Swamp? That thing holds a massive amount of people, and yet its footprint is relatively tiny. Its a very "vertical" stadium, thats why its so flippin loud and intimidating.. An on campus stadium of 55k is very doable, at least in terms of space. So **** yeah, keep dreamin.

That said, these guys who "wrote" this, can't write. I'm not surprised though, I see so many errors in common English usage these days, my 11th grade English teacher, god rest her soul, is probably spinning in her grave.

Last edited:
I went to a Washington Nationals game in RFK the season they moved to DC. It was the end of August and ungodly hot. This stadium would be unbelievably hot. Imagine playing a noon game in that enclosed space?

It would be a tremendous home field advantage.

I agree that at 70k+, its too big, reel it down to 55k and I think its good. As for the space needed, has anyone ever been to The Swamp? That thing holds a massive amount of people, and yet its footprint is relatively tiny. Its a very "vertical" stadium, thats why its so flippin loud and intimidating.. An on campus stadium of 55k is very doable, at least in terms of space. So **** yeah, keep dreamin.

That said, these guys who "wrote" this, can't write. I'm not surprised though, I see so many errors in common English usage these days, my 11th grade English teacher, god rest her soul, is probably spinning in her grave.

I said the same thing about the student's writing skills. I went to the University of Miami, though, and my first impression when reading this was that the students were probably just foreign. A good number of Miami's students are foreigners.

Advertisement
The Swamp small? Not only does it hold over 80k it has a hugh number of suites and boxes. Ben Hill Griffin footprint is 15 acres, with lots of parking lots spread all over the place. BC's Alumni is about 8.25 with about a 44k capacity. That's the footprint we would need whether downtown or elsewhere.
View attachment 3461View attachment 3462

A new/modern BC. That is the ticket, 50K seats. Who has $500M? Let's go!

Just curious about some things...it's not really that much of a stretch...10,000 season ticket holders contributing $1k = $10M. 1/50th of the way there. Major donors etc could easily drum up $100M.

IF by some wild stretch of the imagination UM got its own stadium, wouldn't maintenance costs be prohibitive for a small, private university? It's gotta cost a lot to keep up and run a stadium that gets used half a dozen times a yr.

Advertisement
I haven't read through the thread and not sure if mentioned, but I had spoken with an architecture professor about this months ago and he told me that Shalala was going to attend. I'm not sure if she finally did or not; regardless, I'm glad she is aware of our desire to have our own stadium.

Probably the easiest thing that could have been done was build the BUC into our version of the Carrier Dome ( although coral gables would have killed it)

Just curious about some things...it's not really that much of a stretch...10,000 season ticket holders contributing $1k = $10M. 1/50th of the way there. Major donors etc could easily drum up $100M.

IF by some wild stretch of the imagination UM got its own stadium, wouldn't maintenance costs be prohibitive for a small, private university? It's gotta cost a lot to keep up and run a stadium that gets used half a dozen times a yr.

Where are peeps getting the $500MM figure?

Advertisement

Not sure why 500M would be the figure. Stanford built a 50k stadium for 90M in 2006.

Not sure why 500M would be the figure. Stanford built a 50k stadium for 90M in 2006.

That was just a renovation.

They call it a renovation, but Stanford demolished the old stadium and built a new one on the same site. There was no renovation about it.

Advertisement
Accurate figure would be 300M on the low end.

UMinn's new stadium was opened in 2009. 50k capacity horseshoe (up to 80k expansion) and cost 288.5M. Figure it's a more expensive to do work down here although their stadium is full brick, and it has offices and facilities and stuff which we wouldn't need most likely (assuming it gets built off campus).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCF_Bank_Stadium

Last edited:
Just to be clear, what exactly is the reason why Coral Gables won't allow UM to build a stadium? is it because of traffic/noise only?

Accurate figure would be 300M on the low end.

UMinn's new stadium was opened in 2009. 50k capacity horseshoe (up to 80k expansion) and cost 288.5M. Figure it's a more expensive to do work down here although their stadium is full brick, and it has offices and facilities and stuff which we wouldn't need most likely (assuming it gets built off campus).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCF_Bank_Stadium

UCF built Brighthouse in 2006-2007 for $55MM. It seats 45k. Construction costs are actually lower now, and the GCs need work in a bad way. There's no inherent reason you'd have to spend $300MM. Already own the land, that saves you at least $10MM. I'd want that kickass eye of the storm design, and that may cost more, but I think you could throw out a budget of $150MM and have them value-engineer the build to hit the figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks_Stadium

Advertisement
Back