For all the on-campus stadium folks ...

Advertisement
Getting trolled by a School of Architecture project.... Nice.

Yup. These kids need to learn about scale and measurements. The footprint of Bobby Dodd stadium is about 11 acres for 55k capacity. No room for parking garages with that number. The design submitted here is fantasy on so many levels I find I hard to believe they could win anything but ridicule. Shouldn't architecture take into account surrounding realities? Community aesthetics, traffic flow, existing regs? 11 acres would require tearing down existing classrooms/facilities on Ponce, building over at least one third of the BUC parking lots and building right up to the existing parking garage. No room for another garage as if

The yellow outline is 11 acres:
View attachment 3412

tropical park is where it needs to be. Off-campus, but close by. Can handle some traffic being right off a couple of highways. Let the highschoolers play there on Thursdays and Fridays and use it as a shelter in emergency situations. Make it happen

Tropical Park can't handle Santa's Enchanted Forest traffic. That **** makes getting home a nightmare. Bird needs to be expanded (but it can't be)...Bird needs to be 8 lanes with a big median to handle everything that goes through there now.

In 10 years, I bet we can get some land around Marlins stadium and build near there.

tropical park is where it needs to be. Off-campus, but close by. Can handle some traffic being right off a couple of highways. Let the highschoolers play there on Thursdays and Fridays and use it as a shelter in emergency situations. Make it happen

Tropical Park can't handle Santa's Enchanted Forest traffic. That **** makes getting home a nightmare. Bird needs to be expanded (but it can't be)...Bird needs to be 8 lanes with a big median to handle everything that goes through there now.

In 10 years, I bet we can get some land around Marlins stadium and build near there.

Better off buying up parcels of empty lots around the old arena.

Advertisement

Yup. These kids need to learn about scale and measurements. The footprint of Bobby Dodd stadium is about 11 acres for 55k capacity. No room for parking garages with that number. The design submitted here is fantasy on so many levels I find I hard to believe they could win anything but ridicule. Shouldn't architecture take into account surrounding realities? Community aesthetics, traffic flow, existing regs? 11 acres would require tearing down existing classrooms/facilities on Ponce, building over at least one third of the BUC parking lots and building right up to the existing parking garage. No room for another garage as if

View attachment 3412

I think this is highly improbably from many different standpoints but...

A lot of those buildings are apartments/offices in the apartment housing. I graduated in 2010 and at that point they had been scheduled to be demolished and a few had even been condemned in certain areas b/c of safety issues. I had a friend that was forced to move out after a leak in his roof essentially flooded the apartment.

Parking could also be provided in the metro parking lots right across the streets. Also, there's a huge parking garage down by the mall that people could be shuttled to and from and it's also right next to Snapper Creek Expressway (I believe that's the name).

Advertisement
Great concept, not very realistic. The city of Coral Gables would never allow it to begin with. Having said that, a small (65K max) stadium that was all ours would be ****.

Advertisement
keep dreaming and thinking big.

F the skeptics.

we need a stadium with 52k seats. that's it.

You would think that with this many alumni and people in the community who want to see this happen, that we could find a way to get it done.

Advertisement

View attachment 3412

It looks like those kids have proposed a taller stadium with a smaller footprint than Bobby Dodd.

I wonder if they did an analysis on the costs of building this... I think that along with the Coral Gables building codes would be what determines whether this can happen

Great work by the architecture students. They should send it over to the business/law schools and have those kids do a feasibility study.

A modern version of what BC has would be perfect. There stadium takes up very little space. All it takes is loads of money to buy people off and build it.

Advertisement
Back